#4 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

Our top 10 list has come a long way,  These guys feel like real prospects

They had no where to go but up, they were so low. :) :) :)

#5 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:37 PM

What do you attribute that to?

Aunt Jemima Butterworth Pancakes loaded with Pure Maple Sugar.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:40 PM

What do you attribute that to?

Mike Elias and our player development.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:37 PM

Mike Elias and our player development.

OK, MikeB's comment was specifically about our Top 10 (we can expand it beyond that, whatever).

...but when you consider comments like these (below).....

They had no where to go but up, they were so low. :) :) :)

7 of the 10 players in the Orioles top 10 has nothing to do with Mike Elias.

Then you have...

Rutschman, really has nothing to do with Elias (I pointed this out in the other thread, you'll push back, that's why I was pointing it out in the other thread)

Henderson was a good selection at 1-42 and it's not obvious (others passed, much like a guy like Casey Martin this year).

and

Hjerstad, who is generally considered not the top talent on the board (time will tell here, he gets to look smart if he winds up being one of the better players out of this draft)

...but none of these players (from previous) has a very different projection than we believed they had going into 2019.

Some people point to Baumann, maybe, it was pointed out that he started his 2019 season on fire (5 starts , 0.33 ERA)...but is that really a 4 month player development thing?  He didn't finish there.  I like him.  I think he profiles (profiled) similar to Kremer, when they added Kremer, and that's generally held true. 

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:51 PM

Time will tell on the Elias drafts but I believe the player development under Elias has helped all players in the system no matter who brought them in

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:26 PM

Time will tell on the Elias drafts but I believe the player development under Elias has helped all players in the system no matter who brought them in

I don't really like the '19 draft after Rutschman and Henderson.  I generally like the '20 draft.

...but what evidence are you using to create the notion that 'all players are being helped'?  I'm not pushing back on what they are trying to do.  I think it's generally merited.  If we want to suggest that there WOULD HAVE BEEN dramatic changes in the system with a full 2020...I guess neither one of can prove anything there.

...but what evidence do we have that it's true?  Again, what players have dramatically different performance profiles as a product of the last 2 years?  Has anyone emerged on the ML side?  No....right?  Has anyone emerged that appears to be an important piece to a future team in the minors?  Again, maybe there would have been, but do we see anyone today?

Every time a guy gets hot...everyone says..."yeah, see!  Analytics!!"....but when they cool off and things (statistically) go the other way...did analytics suddenly stop working?  I think the increased K-rate in the minors is interesting.  I like the increased use of the changeup across the system. 

I still don't see a player that we that are now projecting to be something more meaningful in a future season than they were before.  Can you project one?  I mean, if it's working significantly over 2 years, wouldn't we have multiple examples?

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:18 PM

There were improvements throughout in '19. Sucks we didnt get '20 minor leagues. So looking forward to '21 minors. Short season SSS obviously, but what encouraged me was every guy with an ounce of talent who came from Bowie improved or performed well when they got to Baltimore. Mulljns and Stewart were sent down and came up and showed something. Again SSS but its more than either had every shown in the ML to that point. Hayes returned and played well down the stretch. Mountcastle, Kremer, Akins all started at Bowie and performed well in their first taste of the ML. Green BP arms like Tate and Scott improved. How much you want to read into that is up to you but its literally all we have to go on from the '20 season and I do put some stock in it combined with improvements we made in '19.

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:38 AM

Seems like you want to be excited about the Bowie camp.  That's good. It seems like things went well and maybe as good as you can do given the circumstances.

You want to limit things to smaller, individual snapshots, OK.  I know someone that if you added up all the weight they've said they lost in their life they would weigh  -400 lbs.

This topic is about BA sizing up the Orioles top prospects...so same question....  

I still don't see a player that we that are now projecting to be something more meaningful in a future season than they were before.  Can you project one?  I mean, if it's working significantly over 2 years, wouldn't we have multiple examples?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=