#301 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, I know some call it whining, but you know that's what you do to gain an edge.  If you call Rivers, or Brady whiners, than what was Earl Weaver?  He argued every call he could, even when he knew he was wrong and would not get it overturned.  He always said he wasn't arguing for that call, but for the next one that he might get to go his way, or at times just to get his team fired up.  That's gamesmanship.  But people in other cities called him a petulant little cry baby.  When it's happens on your team, you call it intensity or feisty.  When it's on the team you hate, it's being a cry baby.  Personally I loved Weaver's antics.  But I can see where if he was on your rival you would hate it.  

True, but Weaver was a different era.    I think Earl would have been reigned in by today's standards.  Billy Martin too.

I was the one who brought Rivers antic's up.  it just seemed like he had something to say on every play.

@mikeghg

#302 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:09 AM

True, but Weaver was a different era.    I think Earl would have been reigned in by today's standards.  Billy Martin too.

I was the one who brought Rivers antic's up.  it just seemed like he had something to say on every play.

They were saying on the radio that the reason he gets away with the constant whining is because he never uses profanity and is nice about it. (LOL) 

#303 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:20 AM

They were saying on the radio that the reason he gets away with the constant whining is because he never uses profanity and is nice about it. (LOL) 

It is all on how you present it.

He complained a lot but I really do not think it had any influence on the game.

@mikeghg

#304 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:22 AM

Yesterdays game reminded me a lot of the Seattle game from last year.

It will be interesting to see if it turns into a spring board game.  

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#305 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:10 AM

I'm waking up encouraged.  

#306 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

I don’t think I feel like that’s the game that comes to mind. Ravens didn’t have an inept first half in the Seattle game. Though the second half was total domination, had the defensive score.

I was thinking more like the Houston game this year. Kind of a meh first half, unstoppable ground game the second half.

Do think players and coaches faced adversity, lingering issues from last week were still present. But they figured it out and prevailed in the end. Nothing wrong with 6-2. It’s a 12-4 pace which many predicted, and 14-2 still in play.
  • sandiegosean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#307 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:24 AM

I don’t think I feel like that’s the game that comes to mind. Ravens didn’t have an inept first half in the Seattle game. Though the second half was total domination, had the defensive score.

I was thinking more like the Houston game this year. Kind of a meh first half, unstoppable ground game the second half.

Do think players and coaches faced adversity, lingering issues from last week were still present. But they figured it out and prevailed in the end. Nothing wrong with 6-2. It’s a 12-4 pace which many predicted, and 14-2 still in play.

Didn't really feel like either to me. Seattle last year was an offensive showcase. Everything was clicking on all cylinders.

As for Houston, that's a better comp I suppose, but I wouldn't say we showed an unstoppable ground game against indy. Our backs averaged less than 3 yards per carry if I recall. Lamar just had a couple of good runs.

This felt to me more like old school Ravens football. Limited passing offense, good defense, control the ball and score enough to win. Nothing wrong with that, but is that the game they want to play?

#308 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:26 AM

The feel of the game to me at least rerminded me of the Seahawk game.  Like that game Lamar took over in the second half.  I was worried going in, got more worried watching the first half, but then we got going and as soon as we took the lead, I felt pretty sure we were going to win.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#309 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:30 AM

I watched the game again, and a few plays stood out.  

The one, I have not seen talked about, was Hollywood Brown, with what I think was a TD saving tackle on the Edwards fumble.  He came a long way to get the runner down.  Nice Hustle.

Judon flashed a number of times and I think played a very good game.  His pressure on Rivers, where he hit his arm on 4th down was big.

Marcus Peters.  In Marlon's abscence Peters made 2 big plays, and covered well.

Elliott is getting better every week.  He was very good yesterday

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#310 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:35 AM

Didn't really feel like either to me. Seattle last year was an offensive showcase. Everything was clicking on all cylinders.

As for Houston, that's a better comp I suppose, but I wouldn't say we showed an unstoppable ground game against indy. Our backs averaged less than 3 yards per carry if I recall. Lamar just had a couple of good runs.

This felt to me more like old school Ravens football. Limited passing offense, good defense, control the ball and score enough to win. Nothing wrong with that, but is that the game they want to play?

Again, it was just my feeling.  The Ravens flipped the switch in the second half  and IMO, went to a level the other team did not have.  It was a blue collar working win, and IMO, much like the Saints game.

The Colts are good,, but in the second half they were over matched.

@mikeghg

#311 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:36 AM

Hollywood quietly is a really hustle guy. He could use more of a feature type role in this offense. The Ravens should play him and Andrews in route combos together and just let Lamar pick the guy that gets the one on one, if teams want to commit 4 guys to them, then run to the other side. 

This game was encouraging but this team on offense is still wildly inconsistent. Find a groove or success and stick with it. Please! 

#312 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:38 AM

The Ravens flipped the switch in the second half  and IMO, went to a level the other team did not have.

Last year, I felt like they iced these games with late drives though. The Ravens had a chance to end the game with the ball 3 times and sputtered out trying to force the run again, despite being in a position to put more passing on tape that was working to open up the run later. 

It's time to stop holding back the pass. Make teams defend it better and then run. And then when they switch, switch back. The season is fluid, don't hold back, find what works teams are trying to do and attack it with whatever the altnerative is. 

#313 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:03 PM

Last year, I felt like they iced these games with late drives though. The Ravens had a chance to end the game with the ball 3 times and sputtered out trying to force the run again, despite being in a position to put more passing on tape that was working to open up the run later. 

It's time to stop holding back the pass. Make teams defend it better and then run. And then when they switch, switch back. The season is fluid, don't hold back, find what works teams are trying to do and attack it with whatever the altnerative is. 

I agree in part, but I think we are setting the bar too high in some regards.  i do think we are going to see the offense click.  I actually thought it played well against Pitt and I think it played well in the second half.  In spots Lamar has started to use other targets and that IMO is the key.  Making the defense pay with Duvernay, snead even Bryant or Boyle will open  Andrews and Brown more.  I do think Lamar is runn9ing the ball better the last few games and that will make it easier on JK, Gus and Ingram.

@mikeghg

#314 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

17 points of offense is not setting the bar too high, IMO. If not for the defense and TDs and field position, it probably doesn't look as good on offense. 

The trend line looks down for offense right now to me. I'd lke to see that corrected here shortly. 

#315 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,361 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:04 PM

The feel of the game to me at least rerminded me of the Seahawk game. Like that game Lamar took over in the second half. I was worried going in, got more worried watching the first half, but then we got going and as soon as we took the lead, I felt pretty sure we were going to win.

Lamar definitely took over the 2nd half yesterday. He was perfect. I dont know how people cant be encouraged by that. Indys defense is legit and he pretty much single handedly beat them. The numbers werent overwhelming and it wasn't a huge comeback so it doesn't fit the narrative Lamar critics want to see. That said, yesterday in the 2nd half was as impressive a half as he has ever played. Considering the opponent, considering how inconsistent the OL is this year I stand by that comment 100%.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#316 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:26 PM

Lamar was very good in the second half when the Ravens let him throw the ball. The last two drives of 3 and 4 plays irked me a bit. 

But it's true that the offense with the Edwards fumble was much better than the total results also reflected there as well. I forgot about that a bit, so I'm willing to lighten up some. 

We've seen good quarters and halves from this offense. But I just want to see it for a whole game! 

#317 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

Lamar was very good in the second half when the Ravens let him throw the ball. The last two drives of 3 and 4 plays irked me a bit. 

But it's true that the offense with the Edwards fumble was much better than the total results also reflected there as well. I forgot about that a bit, so I'm willing to lighten up some. 

We've seen good quarters and halves from this offense. But I just want to see it for a whole game! 

It is coming Sunday.   Lamar is going to put on a show on Sunday night.  

@mikeghg

#318 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:36 PM

It is coming Sunday.   Lamar is going to put on a show on Sunday night.  

I was the one saying this for like 5 weeks in a row. Now they have to prove me wrong. 

They have the talent to post 35 a game average, even with some weakness on the OL. Let's see it happen. 

#319 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:21 PM

Again, it was just my feeling.  The Ravens flipped the switch in the second half  and IMO, went to a level the other team did not have.  It was a blue collar working win, and IMO, much like the Saints game.

The Colts are good,, but in the second half they were over matched.

Well, at least one other person agrees with you.  I was just heading home listening to 105.7 and Kenny Weinman said the same thing- that it felt like a vibe from last year's game against Seattle. 

#320 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

Well, at least one other person agrees with you.  I was just heading home listening to 105.7 and Kenny Weinman said the same thing- that it felt like a vibe from last year's game against Seattle. 

Damn, now I am not so sure. :-P

People feel like I am comparing games.  There were some similarities, but it was just how I felt during and after the game.  IMO, the seahawk game was when it got started.  

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=