63 replies to this topic

#41 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:52 PM

It's an interesting study for tech investment, watching the 80's. Companies that you thought were done, and the bubble had burst, retooled, had some new ideas and came back strong. It's a good way to speculate on companies that are struggling now and stocks are down. A company that might be primed to switch from hardware to software. Or a company that's working on their own console to try to enter the wars themselves...like did you know Atari recently came out with a new console that is a hybrid console/PC?

Back before the 360/PS3 generation you could see the next big shift in gaming was going to be to digital, and games on demand. Lower manufacturing costs, and production costs cause you don't need to create physical games or disc drives. It's half way through that development now, like you can see with the cheaper options in this generation.

But after this where does it go? People said VR, but I think that's a little more of a gimmick like the power glove than a real option. Things are on the fence now, what's better? More realism, or just acknowledge it's a video game but make it fun and play well?

Nintendo has stayed in their own little world, but keep carving out their own market. To the point they OWN the handheld market now. Just shows that you don't have to compete head to head to hang tough, just do what you do well.

Remember the movie Frequency and the guy was talking back in time to his buddy over the radio airwaves time travel and he said, remember this one word, "YAHOO", invest it in. He made a bundle on it. LOL

#42 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:59 PM

Wonder how google found a console with activison on it, then?

I didnt remember there being one, and thought Atari crushed the market when they did.

I think their console was like $125 when it hit, and the older generation was aghast. lol

Never really got past the prototype stage. I know it never went full release. The guys that founded Activision were all Atari guys that wanted to go their own way. One of the 4 left after a couple years cause he wanted to go back into hardware development, hence I think where the attempt at making one came from. There was just no way for them to get into the market with Atari dominating, and Intellivision and even Collecovision still hanging around.

They went full software from there, published a lot with Nintendo, bought some company so they could go into PC games. Then status quo til the early 2000s when they merged with Vivendi, the parent company of Blizzard. That and games like COD and they were BIG time all of a sudden.

@JeremyMStrain

#43 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:02 PM

Nobody had a Dreamcast?

#44 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:10 PM

Remember the movie Frequency and the guy was talking back in time to his buddy over the radio airwaves time travel and he said, remember this one word, "YAHOO", invest it in. He made a bundle on it. LOL

Ha. I had an Apple 2 plus PC when I was little, and Macintosh just fell apart after that. Stocks were NOTHING. At the time I really thought I was going to go into computers. I knew it was the future, even back then. I got 5k in a car accident settlement when I was 8, and I BEGGED my family to let me invest it vs putting it in the CD that they eventually did. I wanted to put it all into Apple stock. This was 1987 and their stock was .34 cents a share. It would have gotten me a little less than 15,000 shares. It's worth $140/share today...which is a little north of $2m dollars if I had won my argument. A fact I DO NOT let them live down...ever.

I try not to get too angry about it cause I know me, and would have probably dumped it all in 2004 when it jumped up over $1.20 a share ($18k) and would have sunk that into Google when it went public at $85 a share, for around 212 shares. With their recent stock split, I'd have 424 shares now at $1428 a share for $605k. So in the end I would have cost myself a bunch instead of just sitting on Apple.

• russsnyder likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

Nobody had a Dreamcast?

And now you know why it was only around for 2 years.

In all seriousness, the Dreamcast was an awesome system. Didn't have one myself but it was my favorite to play during that generation. At least while it was still being supported.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#46 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:13 PM

Nobody had a Dreamcast?

I have a cast in my dreams. LOL

Sorry, nope, never went the Sega route, but some did love the Sonic dude.

#47 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

Ha. I had an Apple 2 plus PC when I was little, and Macintosh just fell apart after that. Stocks were NOTHING. At the time I really thought I was going to go into computers. I knew it was the future, even back then. I got 5k in a car accident settlement when I was 8, and I BEGGED my family to let me invest it vs putting it in the CD that they eventually did. I wanted to put it all into Apple stock. This was 1987 and their stock was .34 cents a share. It would have gotten me a little less than 15,000 shares. It's worth $140/share today...which is a little north of $2m dollars if I had won my argument. A fact I DO NOT let them live down...ever.

I try not to get too angry about it cause I know me, and would have probably dumped it all in 2004 when it jumped up over $1.20 a share ($18k) and would have sunk that into Google when it went public at $85 a share, for around 212 shares. With their recent stock split, I'd have 424 shares now at $1428 a share for $605k. So in the end I would have cost myself a bunch instead of just sitting on Apple.

I dont have the fortitude to play in the stock market. A friend made a bundle on Trek, which he reminds me of from time to time, but I have to remind him of the 3 or 4 purchases that didnt make him a dime. :)

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

Nobody had a Dreamcast?

A friend did, fishing was amazing on that bad boy. And I LOVED the gameplay, everything ran really smooth on that for being one of the first disc based systems with older tech.

Just a slight case of overreaching. All developers know you lose money on the hardware the first 3 years of a cycle, you gotta make it back up on the software, and with the rush to get it out and the bugs they had in the hardware, they had to replace so many that they just didn't have the capital to ride it out.

Fortunately they could license Sonic and a bunch of other stuff they owned for a MINT, so they stuck around, but that move almost ended SEGA.

@JeremyMStrain

#49 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

Man, that's a heck of a story.

You were a pretty savvy kid.

I was trading baseball cards when I was 8.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

I dont have the fortitude to play in the stock market. A friend made a bundle on Trek, which he reminds me of from time to time, but I have to remind him of the 3 or 4 purchases that didnt make him a dime. :)

I've only had 3 times in my life I REALLY wanted to. Those were two of them, and Ninetndo in 2003. That one would have hit pretty big too. Even after the misstep when I was 8, I was ready to sink $2k into Google stock when it went public, but it's launch price came out WAY higher than I thought it would and it scared me off. I didn't think it'd rise that much when bigger companies were like $140-150 a share, then when it hit $500 I almost threw up, and now that it's over $1400 I just try not to think about it.

Nintendo jumped up over $80 a share after I wanted it too. I knew the Wii and DS were about to come out and figured it was going to secure the family friendly market over PS and XB. I took the money and spent it on our wedding instead, but I doubt I would have been able to sell when it peeked without losing some anyway, I'm too emotional when it comes to Nintendo, so I try not to worry about that one much.

@JeremyMStrain

#51 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:26 PM

Anybody have a Neo Geo?  Way too expensive for me, but they were supposedly awesome.

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:26 PM

Man, that's a heck of a story.

You were a pretty savvy kid.

I was trading baseball cards when I was 8.

Just dumb luck and a little common sense, I just knew computers were about to blow up and their stock was so cheap compared to IBM which was the only other computer company I knew of. Would have been a MUCH cooler story if they wouldn't have blocked me. What do you know about stocks? You're 8!!

I quote that one all the time when I get pissed at them.

• russsnyder likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#53 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:35 PM

A young Jeremy...

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:47 PM

A young Jeremy...

Sigh. :(

I was telling my wife about this when I did the math on it. I can't say if I would have had the patience to get all the way there, which would have made me even more sad. I needed the cash in 1997 which is when I cashed the CD out, but Apple was only at like .16 cents a share then, so I don't know if I should be more angry that I didn't take it and invest it then when I turned 18, I'd be looking at $4.2m now, or if I would have taken the bath cause I needed the money then anyway.

@JeremyMStrain

#55 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:37 PM

The Switch, despite not being able to hang with the others with hardware, is just phenomenal. Probably my favorite console ever. Still, investing in a modern gaming rig custom PC is the way to go if you're into graphics. Even these new systems coming out can't touch it. Only downside is less of an online community for your big box games like Call of Duty, GTA, Red Dead Redemption and Madden, etc.

The new RTX 3080 has me seriously considering building a new PC next year.

#56 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:42 PM

MLB the Show made the console wars pretty easy for me, just bought the PS2/3/4 because I wanted to play baseball

• CantonJester likes this

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:57 PM

The new RTX 3080 has me seriously considering building a new PC next year.

Yep, I'll probably grab it when the prices come down a tad or when the next Elder Scrolls comes out. Which ever comes first.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:29 AM

Anybody have a Neo Geo? Way too expensive for me, but they were supposedly awesome.

I dont remember it very well for being a kid who was deep into video games at the time. Also never knew anyone who owned one. Very cool concept though being able to have a home arcade system.

#59 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:18 PM

My Gaming System Timeline:

• Intellivision 
  • Intellivision II 
  • NES 
  • Super NES 
  • PS 
  • PS2 
  • PS3
  • PS4

I'm not sure whether or not I'll do the PS5. I mean, if the Red Dead franchise continues I suppose I'll consider it...Oh, so the Intellivision franchise is being rebooted. That sounds fun. Take the virtual reality out of gaming and make it simple again? I could be down with that.

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:42 PM

Intellivision
Atari
NES
Super NES
Sega Genesis