63 replies to this topic

#21 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:40 AM

I didn't get a Father's Day card either.

My son is probably one of the most mellow easy going guys that Ive ever been around. Except when he is on his game playing Madden or Call to Duty lol. It would be like a college game and he is 72-13 on me, and complaining about bad ref calls, etc lol

I got to the point, I just couldnt play him in Madden anymore after that.

We could play pretty well in Deer Hunter and Area 51, but COD, he would be like, dang, can you kill those 400 guys on your side? :)

• russsnyder likes this

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

My consoles

NES

Sega Genesis (I also got the 32 X)

N64

Gamecube 

PS2  I think I would have had the PS2 longer if it didn't break in a thunderstorm, it wasn't plugged into a surge protector

XBOX360

XBOX One

My daughter has a switch and said she wants a PS5 for Christmas but I don't think we are getting a new console just yet.

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:33 AM

I think that may have been true, but not anymore. If I could do it, you definitely could. And it felt good building it. Was surprised at how easy it was.

Mouse and Keyboard or do you plug in a controller?

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

Mouse and Keyboard or do you plug in a controller?

I use an XBone controller. Apparently there are super nerdy PC games where you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage by not using a keyboard/mouse though.

#25 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:50 AM

My consoles

NES

N64

Gamecube 

PS2  I think I would have had the PS2 longer if it didn't break in a thunderstorm, it wasn't plugged into a surge protector

XBOX360

XBOX One

My daughter has a switch and said she wants a PS5 for Christmas but I don't think we are getting a new console just yet.

I started out playing pong on my granddad (Yes granddad loved gadgets) radioshack computer TS80 maybe.

I got in at the beginning with the Atari for me. Loved it at the time, looking back at a friends retro Atari comeback console, and the same games, seam so lame now.

As the kids got older, we got them the first Nintendo and then the N64 Super Nintendo, and then the cube and then the Wii.

My son had to had the levels of Sony PSX, up to now. Christmas and he brought some himself as he was working, but then he slide off into the Xbox 360 and then Xbox 1. 

#26 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

I use an XBone controller. Apparently there are super nerdy PC games where you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage by not using a keyboard/mouse though.

My son spent the money and got one of those Xbox Elite controllers, that lets you set settings for diff games and it retains that.

Too complicated for me, but he said, once you get to an elite, you wont go back.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

My son spent the money and got one of those Xbox Elite controllers, that lets you set settings for diff games and it retains that.

Too complicated for me, but he said, once you get to an elite, you wont go back.

Yeah my OCD brother is into all that stuff, it's a $lippery slope. He's always concerned with lag latency, input lag, all that good stuff. It's insane. In his defense, he's good enough to notice. He's one of those that goes 50-3 in CoD every game and can't understand how he got killed 3 times.
  • Old Man likes this

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:48 AM

My consoles

NES

N64

Gamecube 

XBOX360

XBOX One

Activision
Atari2600

Commodore 64 (okay, not a console... but some of the best games)
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
PS1

PS2
PS4

#29 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

Activision
Atari2600

Commodore 64 (okay, not a console... but some of the best games)
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
PS1

PS2
PS4

That activision sure looks like an Atari. :)

Attached Files

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

That activision sure looks like an Atari. :)

Having just watched WarGames, a young me thought I could use my Activision to hack the gov.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

Activision has a console? Call of Duty Activision?

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

Activision has a console? Call of Duty Activision?

HAD, and yeah. But they got blown out pretty good by Intellivision and Atari, and weren't trying to throw their hat in the ring against Nintendo so they went all software like Sega did a couple years ago.

• You Play to Win the Game and Old Man like this
@JeremyMStrain

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

Gotcha, thanks for the history lesson. I had no idea. And good pivot by them, they've done well. Could've just been obselete and left behind, but they evolved.

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

HAD, and yeah. But they got blown out pretty good by Intellivision and Atari, and weren't trying to throw their hat in the ring against Nintendo so they went all software like Sega did a couple years ago.

Ahh, good pull... that's what I had... Intellivision, not Activison. 

• JeremyStrain and Old Man like this

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

Gotcha, thanks for the history lesson. I had no idea. And good pivot by them, they've done well. Could've just been obselete and left behind, but they evolved.

It's an interesting study for tech investment, watching the 80's. Companies that you thought were done, and the bubble had burst, retooled, had some new ideas and came back strong. It's a good way to speculate on companies that are struggling now and stocks are down. A company that might be primed to switch from hardware to software. Or a company that's working on their own console to try to enter the wars themselves...like did you know Atari recently came out with a new console that is a hybrid console/PC?

Back before the 360/PS3 generation you could see the next big shift in gaming was going to be to digital, and games on demand. Lower manufacturing costs, and production costs cause you don't need to create physical games or disc drives. It's half way through that development now, like you can see with the cheaper options in this generation.

But after this where does it go? People said VR, but I think that's a little more of a gimmick like the power glove than a real option. Things are on the fence now, what's better? More realism, or just acknowledge it's a video game but make it fun and play well?

Nintendo has stayed in their own little world, but keep carving out their own market. To the point they OWN the handheld market now. Just shows that you don't have to compete head to head to hang tough, just do what you do well.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

VR just doesn't do anything for me. Built my PC so it can handle it if I have a change of heart, but it's just ehhh to me. Gimmicky is a good word for it. Cool ass technology though.
  • Old Man likes this

#37 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

Haa, jerk. If you played now, and he were the Ravens with Lamar, he wouldn't even need to create new, max skilled players, you wouldn't beat him. Sounds like his in game adjustments are akin to Jay Gruden's.

Yeah, but wasn't like he was eight or nine, he was talking a lot of trash during the exhibition games too.

You're right, Lamar is much better than Skillz.

He definitely panicked, kind of like Jay Gruden. 

• JeremyStrain and Old Man like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#38 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

My son is probably one of the most mellow easy going guys that Ive ever been around. Except when he is on his game playing Madden or Call to Duty lol. It would be like a college game and he is 72-13 on me, and complaining about bad ref calls, etc lol

I got to the point, I just couldnt play him in Madden anymore after that.

We could play pretty well in Deer Hunter and Area 51, but COD, he would be like, dang, can you kill those 400 guys on your side? :)

I'm terrible on all those shoot em up games.

My step son and my son play those games all the time. 

• Old Man likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#39 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

Ahh, good pull... that's what I had... Intellivision, not Activison. 

Wonder how google found a console with activison on it, then?

I didnt remember there being one, and thought Atari crushed the market when they did.

I think their console was like $125 when it hit, and the older generation was aghast. lol

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:51 PM

VR just doesn't do anything for me. Built my PC so it can handle it if I have a change of heart, but it's just ehhh to me. Gimmicky is a good word for it. Cool ass technology though.

Yeah one of my clients designed and developed a 3D sound system that's ideal for VR. The base code for it got used for Oculus, and I think a large sound company is using it now.

First thing I asked is what is the practical application and use, like how do you envision going to market with this? I said put it in hearing aids, and it changes the world. Basically what is out there now being 2D sound, how much could you change people's lives if they could fully tell direction, depth and full 360 from it?

In VR it makes things feel so much more immersive. It's literally portable surround sound. Playing their demo, and you are skulking around in the dark investigating this house, you can hear a floorboard squeak, but you know it's not next to you cause it sounds like it's 2 rooms over to the back left. It's pretty crazy what it can do. I'm just waiting to see where they go from here with it.

I'm also not a VR guy, and prefer my games fun to play, fast, and a good story. I don't need to shoot people online for 6 hours a night anymore. Play a little COOP, move through the story, and on to the next.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=