#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

I bet Greensboro gets one of those...anyone want to bet against me?

Considering the only people who have EVER wanted to do anything in Greensboro are the ACC, I'll avoid giving you my money, thanks.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

ESPN: ACC not looking for long-term home

http://espn.go.com/m...early-next-year

@levineps

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

ESPN: Washington lands ACC tournament

http://espn.go.com/m...ayed-washington

Nice timing there with Maryland leaving.

@levineps

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

CollegeBasketballTalk wondered if this was a "sneaky jab" at Maryland. No, this is a gigantic, two-handed, screaming-at-the-top-of-their-lungs “EFF YOU!” at Maryland.

@DJ_McCann

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

CollegeBasketballTalk wondered if this was a "sneaky jab" at Maryland. No, this is a gigantic, two-handed, screaming-at-the-top-of-their-lungs “EFF YOU!” at Maryland.

No doubt about that.

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Some people are just so jealous.

I won't miss the ACC -- bunch of "Good Ol' Boy" rednecks that haven't left the state of North Carolina since....ever.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

It's less of a jab, and more of a business decision. The ACC does not want to lose relevancy in DC (and Baltimore). The new markets coming in help, but these are major media markets to lose.

(ACC going to get plenty of coverage everywhere... football improving, basketball going to be great...but there does figure to be less coverage in DC and Baltimore, without MD being part of the league... this is a counter.)

• Oriole85 likes this

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

I was really hoping that UVA and UNC would join the B1G and have that stupid conference collapse on itself with nowhere for dook to go.

Oh well.

@bopper33

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

It's less of a jab, and more of a business decision. The ACC does not want to lose relevancy in DC (and Baltimore). The new markets coming in help, but these are major media markets to lose.

(ACC going to get plenty of coverage everywhere... football improving, basketball going to be great...but there does figure to be less coverage in DC and Baltimore, without MD being part of the league... this is a counter.)

I agree with this completely as MD fans we tend to look at it from the jab angle. It's a nice somewhat central location with new markets coming in.

@levineps

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

The fact that this damn tournament is in Greensboro, NC 90% of the time or whatever shows how biased the entire conference is. 

Right now 1/3 of the ACC schools are in NC.  The tournament should be in NC 1/3 of the time.  It's a huge advantage to the NC schools and their fan bases to hold it there almost every year and it basically says "who cares" about the other schools in the league. 

This is a big reason why I support MD leaving.

@bopper33

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

I agree with this completely as MD fans we tend to look at it from the jab angle. It's a nice somewhat central location with new markets coming in.

It was already a "central" location, with Maryland and the Virginia schools nearby and BC having that far less to travel. Yet since the conference expanded (coincidentally the last time the tournament was held in DC: 2005) they held it in Atlanta twice and Tampa (yes, TAMPA). Before 2005, it hadn't been in DC since 1987.

I find it very hard to believe that DC is suddenly going to become a regular part of the rotation, even once a decade, because it is "central" to Pitt and Syracuse.

@DJ_McCann

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

The fact that this damn tournament is in Greensboro, NC 90% of the time or whatever shows how biased the entire conference is. 

Right now 1/3 of the ACC schools are in NC.  The tournament should be in NC 1/3 of the time.  It's a huge advantage to the NC schools and their fan bases to hold it there almost every year and it basically says "who cares" about the other schools in the league. 

See, if they just held the damn thing in Greensboro every single year it wouldn't be an issue. But when they act like it's such a struggle to get all of these teams to DC while holding the tournament in Florida...

@DJ_McCann

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

It was already a "central" location, with Maryland and the Virginia schools nearby and BC having that far less to travel. Yet since the conference expanded (coincidentally the last time the tournament was held in DC: 2005) they held it in Atlanta twice and Tampa (yes, TAMPA). Before 2005, it hadn't been in DC since 1987.

I find it very hard to believe that DC is suddenly going to become a regular part of the rotation, even once a decade, because it is "central" to Pitt and Syracuse.

It's MORE of a central location now, lots of alums located in the area. It won't be part of the regular rotation, but once every decade or so sounds about right.

@levineps

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

It's MORE of a central location now, lots of alums located in the area. It won't be part of the regular rotation, but once every decade or so sounds about right.

We'll see, but I don't think there's any reason to downplay the ulterior motive. The ACC never really accepted Maryland, despite the fact that we, you know, founded the goddamn conference.

@DJ_McCann

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Big 10 only has 2 schools a piece in Indiana and Illinois, yet the championship is in those places 100% of the time.

@levineps

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Big 10 only has 2 schools a piece in Indiana and Illinois, yet the championship is in those places 100% of the time.

Bad example: the Big Ten has a maximum of two schools in any state (those two, along with Michigan).

@DJ_McCann

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

Bad example: the Big Ten has a maximum of two schools in any state (those two, along with Michigan).

No it's not, they only play in those two places. Since the problem is about how they should move the ACC Tournament around more. They don't move the Big 10 Tournament around, but a lot of complaining how it should get out of NC more.

@levineps

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

No it's not, they only play in those two places. Since the problem is about how they should move the ACC Tournament around more. They don't move the Big 10 Tournament around, but a lot of complaining how it should get out of NC more.

Except holding in Chicago and Indianapolis (and now alternating years) is a bit different than holding it in Greensboro with the occasional weekend getaway to Raleigh or Charlotte.

@DJ_McCann

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Except holding in Chicago and Indianapolis (and now alternating years) is a bit different than holding it in Greensboro with the occasional weekend getaway to Raleigh or Charlotte.

You want it both ways. The whole argument was that North Carolina only accounts for a 1/3 of the teams so it should only be there a 1/3 of the time. So I'm just applying that same argument here with having the tournament exclusively in two states that have four schools.

@levineps

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

You want it both ways. The whole argument was that North Carolina only accounts for a 1/3 of the teams so it should only be there a 1/3 of the time. So I'm just applying that same argument here with having the tournament exclusively in two states that have four schools.

My argument is that the conference doesn't respect Maryland (or the other schools north of the Virginia border) to hold the tournament in DC more than once a decade, even though they will put it in Atlanta more than once (and again, frickin' TAMPA). As I said to Pedro, if they just stuck it in Greensboro permanently, I would have less of an issue (or in Charlotte, or Atlanta for that matter).

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=