• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:32 PM

Me not being a fan of the selection has nothing to do with Haskin. 

5:14PM was the first time I ever heard his name. 
There are things I've read quickly, and glancing at the video I like fine....  but you've got $ to burn, and seemingly there was better consensus talent available. 

And yes, while I want them to select who they want, and live or die with the results...  by their own obvious strategy, they clearly have a preference for college bats. Are more comfortable with them. 

Well, part of that is you are more comfortable with them (college bats) because you believe pitchers are more likely to flame, and you have more video / knowledge / scouting on the college kids vs. HS prospects.  

All fine. 

But if you are taking a college bat, because you believe they are less likely to flame, and you are likely to get some level of production...  shouldn't general industry consensus also be a consideration? 

Meaning if the guy you like is an outlier to industry consensus... it's fine if you want to go on that limb, and make that selection.... but if part of your process is identifying guys you believe are less likely to fail....  why is your selection outside of industry consensus? 

Is your process that much better?  Guess you believe it is. 
We'll see.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

No he is not an overslot.

Maybe not but he has leverage. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit overslot. This is what I said earlier today. They'll go a bit overslot today but will end up paying Kjerstad more than expected to cover themselves.

#23 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

What a freaking JOKE.

#24 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:53 AM

One of the things I found at least interesting in the write ups is that this kid went to the same HS as George Springer and (I guess) broke his records there.

If Springer is really good and this guy broke his records, then he's really good too, right?

I think that Springer credits some of his development to that system and Elias could just have some of the same biases to that profile (that he can deliver the same type of player), like he still believes in his Ruiz selection 8 years ago.

#25 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:17 AM

One of the things I found at least interesting in the write ups is that this kid went to the same HS as George Springer and (I guess) broke his records there.

If Springer is really good and this guy broke his records, then he's really good too, right?

I think that Springer credits some of his development to that system and Elias could just have some of the same biases to that profile (that he can deliver the same type of player), like he still believes in his Ruiz selection 8 years ago.

Nobody could possibly be so stupid as to assume that because a guy went to the same high school as a good player, that he can be developed the same way as that player, can he?

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,778 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

Nobody could possibly be so stupid as to assume that because a guy went to the same high school as a good player, that he will develop the same way as that player, can he?

There's gotta be a less antagonizing way to make this point.

#27 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:24 AM

There's gotta be a less antagonizing way to make this point.

To clarify, I'm not calling Dude stupid. I'm saying that I can't imagine that Elias is that stupid.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:35 AM

2 things on this pick (which I didn’t like myself):

1) sounds like he can stick in CF...that’s very important.
2) as a college sophomore, there may be more projection than we see from normal college players.

It’s possible that next year, he’s a much higher pick.

Given that this year didn’t provide you with as much info, it’s fair to say that teams may be projecting guys out even more than usual.

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

Saw that Haskins left the game the other day and Servideo did tonight. Anyone know their status?

#30 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 June 2021 - 05:03 AM

All I know is Haskin left after being hit by a pitch, not sure about Servideo.

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:02 PM

Haskin returned and homered tonight
Also that other guy is 3-3 and hit his 8th tonight.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:11 AM

Promoted to A+ Aberdeen.

.276 (.792), 44 R, 13 doubles, 1 triple, 5 HR, 33 RBI, 22 BB, 17 SB with the Shorebirds and plays a good centerfield.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#33 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:38 AM

Breaking the Haskin/Feliz/Peek/Watson promotion news was not a bad way to start a Monday.

• BobPhelan likes this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:58 AM

Breaking the Haskin/Feliz/Peek/Watson promotion news was not a bad way to start a Monday.

We're coming for Jeff Passon's job!

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

Nice to see the kids moving up.  I have not watched any Shorebird games so I am looking forward to seeing Haskin in Aberdeen.

I know some were making a big deal about whether,  Cowser, can or can not play CF, but we seem to have plenty of CF types already in the system.

I am sure some of the outfielders will be used to acquire pitching if and when the big league club becomes relevant again.  I don't want to get too attached to any particular player, because some will likely get traded.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#36 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:18 AM

Keith Law on Haskin after seeing him in person

• Hudson Haskin was the Orioles’ third pick last year, their second-rounder, out of Tulane, a plus runner with a chance to stick in center field but a very unorthodox approach at the plate. He starts out way back in the box with his legs close together, then takes a big, sudden stride; it looks strange but he gets his front foot down in time, and his bat speed is impressive. I don’t know if that stance and stride are why he doesn’t seem to have great pitch recognition or if he’s just not picking up spin, but he has the tools to be a better hitter than he’s shown this year.

Scouting notes on Nationals, Tigers, Orioles and Rays prospects: Keith Law – The Athletic

#37 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 September 2021 - 02:04 PM

A: .276 (.792), 44 R, 13 doubles, 1 triple, 5 HR, 33 RBI, 22 BB, 17 SB

8.7% walk rate

23.6% strikeout rate

.138 ISO

121 wRC+

A+: .275 (.774), 15 R, 6 doubles, 2 triples, 9 RBI, 10 BB, 5 SB

9.2% walk rate

16.5% strikeout rate

.110 ISO

118 wRC+

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:51 PM

Interesting that the walk rate jumped a bit and K rate dropped significantly as he went up a level

#39 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:09 PM

Tom Eller magic.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 02:28 PM

3 HRs today.  May get a shot for a 4th . 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=