• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 131,560 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:32 PM

Me not being a fan of the selection has nothing to do with Haskin. 

5:14PM was the first time I ever heard his name. 
There are things I've read quickly, and glancing at the video I like fine....  but you've got $ to burn, and seemingly there was better consensus talent available. 

And yes, while I want them to select who they want, and live or die with the results...  by their own obvious strategy, they clearly have a preference for college bats. Are more comfortable with them. 

Well, part of that is you are more comfortable with them (college bats) because you believe pitchers are more likely to flame, and you have more video / knowledge / scouting on the college kids vs. HS prospects.  

All fine. 

But if you are taking a college bat, because you believe they are less likely to flame, and you are likely to get some level of production...  shouldn't general industry consensus also be a consideration? 

Meaning if the guy you like is an outlier to industry consensus... it's fine if you want to go on that limb, and make that selection.... but if part of your process is identifying guys you believe are less likely to fail....  why is your selection outside of industry consensus? 

Is your process that much better?  Guess you believe it is. 
We'll see.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

No he is not an overslot.

Maybe not but he has leverage. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit overslot. This is what I said earlier today. They'll go a bit overslot today but will end up paying Kjerstad more than expected to cover themselves.

#23 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

What a freaking JOKE.

#24 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,568 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:53 AM

One of the things I found at least interesting in the write ups is that this kid went to the same HS as George Springer and (I guess) broke his records there.

If Springer is really good and this guy broke his records, then he's really good too, right?

I think that Springer credits some of his development to that system and Elias could just have some of the same biases to that profile (that he can deliver the same type of player), like he still believes in his Ruiz selection 8 years ago.

#25 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:17 AM

One of the things I found at least interesting in the write ups is that this kid went to the same HS as George Springer and (I guess) broke his records there.

If Springer is really good and this guy broke his records, then he's really good too, right?

I think that Springer credits some of his development to that system and Elias could just have some of the same biases to that profile (that he can deliver the same type of player), like he still believes in his Ruiz selection 8 years ago.

Nobody could possibly be so stupid as to assume that because a guy went to the same high school as a good player, that he can be developed the same way as that player, can he?

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

Nobody could possibly be so stupid as to assume that because a guy went to the same high school as a good player, that he will develop the same way as that player, can he?

There's gotta be a less antagonizing way to make this point.

#27 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:24 AM

There's gotta be a less antagonizing way to make this point.

To clarify, I'm not calling Dude stupid. I'm saying that I can't imagine that Elias is that stupid.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:35 AM

2 things on this pick (which I didn’t like myself):

1) sounds like he can stick in CF...that’s very important.
2) as a college sophomore, there may be more projection than we see from normal college players.

It’s possible that next year, he’s a much higher pick.

Given that this year didn’t provide you with as much info, it’s fair to say that teams may be projecting guys out even more than usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=