#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

Weinman and Jeremy? That's a terrible duo. They'll spend the whole show trying to out funny the other guy. Jeremy benefited from SG holding his leash, and not letting him go completely off the rails. KW will only inspire him to go faster down the mountain. 

No Weinman and Jeremy.  

Jeremy is moving to 6-9.  

Ken is doing 2-6 with Jason Lacanfora.

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:44 PM

Weinman and Jeremy? That's a terrible duo. They'll spend the whole show trying to out funny the other guy. Jeremy benefited from SG holding his leash, and not letting him go completely off the rails. KW will only inspire him to go faster down the mountain. 

Pretty sure KW and Jeremy had a very popular show together in the evening before Jeremy moved into afternoon drive.

I haven't listened in a long time thanks to acquiring a car with bluetooth and podcasts. But Scott and Jeremy had a great "odd couple" thing going on that was enjoyable.  

Took a very short drive this morning so I didn't bother starting a new podcast and tried listening to the morning show. What a disaster that is. On that note, BSL has podcasts coming! Can't wait, because area sport talk is easily at an all time low. Saturdays are honestly the best when Cunningham is on, and later Popovec on Terps (who is coming here). 

@BSLMikeRandall

#23 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Garceau will be a step down.

Hunter, once you get through all the homerism, was a solid play by play guy.

Garceau is “one of us” though. Been around forever, so let him have the job.

I agree.

Garceau is extremely vanilla.

Extremely average play by play guy.

Hunter is probably more irritating to me.

There is very little difference between the two guys IMO.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#24 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

Pretty sure KW and Jeremy had a very popular show together in the evening before Jeremy moved into afternoon drive.

I haven't listened in a long time thanks to acquiring a car with bluetooth and podcasts. But Scott and Jeremy had a great "odd couple" thing going on that was enjoyable.

Took a very short drive this morning so I didn't bother starting a new podcast and tried listening to the morning show. What a disaster that is. On that note, BSL has podcasts coming! Can't wait, because area sport talk is easily at an all time low. Saturdays are honestly the best when Cunningham is on, and later Popovec on Terps (who is coming here).

I agree that the " Big Bad" morning show sucks.

Garceau and Conn were listenable at times. However, Garceau is too bland for me. He wants to be everybody's buddy.

I actually think that Weinman and Conn Have good chemistry. I'm not real impressed with LaConfora. I predict another shakeup in six months.

I really don't care for cornball Cunningham. He knows very little about baseball. He should get a job on an AM oldies radio station. Maybe someone listening to that show would actually care about the old R& B songs he plays on bumpers.

Popovec is pretty good on Terps coverage.

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

Btw, while I may jump in conversations about it, the PxP guys mean very little to me.

I care more about the analysts.

#26 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:35 PM

The best show on 105.7 is the Haney show, with Vinny during football seasons, he is pretty useless for everything else, except hockey which I am not a fan of.  Bob is the best, and has been the best, host in Bmore if you ask me.  He is full of local knowledge, an encyclopedia of Baltimore Sports and his everyman, "A 6 pack?  I drink a 6 pack on my way to buying a 30 pack of beer!", personality is fucking perfect for this area.  He doesn't get the accolades he should.  

In terms of PXP, Hunter is such a homer and Garceau is as vanilla as there is.  I personally like Thorne as an on-air personality more than his play by play, he cracks me the fuck up during his broadcasts but he also isn't afraid to call out a bad play, something JH would never do.  I agree with Rob, the analysts are the more important aspects and I like them in the following order:

Palmer-Unparalleled knowledge, history and calls it like he sees it.

McDonald-For a big hayseed he sure knows WTF he is talking about, not only with pitching, but baseball in total.  He also presents it in a really clear, concise way. 

Roberts-I like a lot of what he brings to the table, his knowledge and delivery are sound, just wish he would lay off the jokes and giggling a bit.

Bordick-Pure vanilla and won't criticize anything.

Olson-TBD

• russsnyder likes this

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

I want the PBP guy to blend into the game.  I want the PBP to also be as enthusiastic as the game allows.  Thorne lives to make himself the focus.

Garceau was great doing the Ravens, and my memory is, he was very good doing the Orioles years back.  He has been, as Baltimore as it can get, in his time here.  I am happy, he is back.

McDonald is terrific.  I am a big fan of Palmer's work, but maybe it is the freshness of Ben's stories, but he is right there with Palmer.

Bordick, nice guy but boring.

Roberts seems better on radio.

@mikeghg

#28 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

I think you nailed it with the Odd Couple reference, I agree that it worked.

I never heard KW & Jeremy together. I just think they would both benefit from being partnered with a straight man. When Ken and Terry Ford work together, they can't get through a single thought, because they're constantly interrupting each other, and derailing the topic with private jokes and stuff like that. They're OK individually, but it's hard to listen to them together.  

I can't stomach Jerry Coleman. I can't imagine why anyone would hire him to talk. Thankfully, I stopped commuting before the brainiacs at the Fan decided to force him on Rob and Ed. I agree with you about the Sat. hosts.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

I agree that the " Big Bad" morning show sucks.

Garceau and Conn were listenable at times. However, Garceau is too bland for me. He wants to be everybody's buddy.

I actually think that Weinman and Conn Have good chemistry. I'm not real impressed with LaConfora. I predict another shakeup in six months.

I really don't care for cornball Cunningham. He knows very little about baseball. He should get a job on an AM oldies radio station. Maybe someone listening to that show would actually care about the old R& B songs he plays on bumpers.

Popovec is pretty good on Terps coverage.

I always feel bad for Popovec.  He does the Saturday afternoon talk, and no one calls.  He basically has to talk for however long he is doing the show.  He seems knowledgeable

@mikeghg

#30 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

I always feel bad for Popovec. He does the Saturday afternoon talk, and no one calls. He basically has to talk for however long he is doing the show. He seems knowledgeable

Yeah, he seems to have a lot of time to fill. He does a pretty good job of filling it. He's also very polite to callers. Even those that give him a hard time.

#31 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

I think you nailed it with the Odd Couple reference, I agree that it worked.
I never heard KW & Jeremy together. I just think they would both benefit from being partnered with a straight man. When Ken and Terry Ford work together, they can't get through a single thought, because they're constantly interrupting each other, and derailing the topic with private jokes and stuff like that. They're OK individually, but it's hard to listen to them together.

I can't stomach Jerry Coleman. I can't imagine why anyone would hire him to talk. Thankfully, I stopped commuting before the brainiacs at the Fan decided to force him on Rob and Ed. I agree with you about the Sat. hosts.

Jeremy and Weinman used to do a show called " Playmakers" on 105.7. I think the show ended at 10 or 11 PM. They were pretty good together. Especially on football and the Ravens. Used to listen to them while playing Madden on a Game Cube.
  • weird-O likes this

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:27 PM

Play by play guys dont need to be special but you cant mispronounce names and mistake offspeed pitches for fastballs with the regularity that Thorne does it. It might not be a fair criticism but Ive always questioned his preparedness and how seriously he takes his job.
  • SportsGuy, Mike B and russsnyder like this

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:37 PM

Play by play guys dont need to be special but you cant mispronounce names and mistake offspeed pitches for fastballs with the regularity that Thorne does it. It might not be a fair criticism but Ive always questioned his preparedness and how seriously he takes his job.

I think it’s fair. He gets put on a pedestal by Os fans. I don’t really get it myself.

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:55 PM

My feelings exactly.

JMO, but Thorne is not good.

@mikeghg

#35 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

I like Thorne because he's fun to listen to.  The mispronunciation of names is more comical than anything else (I always make sure to be watching when we're playing Edwin Encarnacion).  I wouldn't want him doing radio because you need to trust those guys to be right.  But on TV - I can clearly see that what Thorne just called a fastball was a 75 MPH curve.  It does amaze me how often he gets the pitches wrong though - seriously I think he calls them wrong more often than he calls them right.

• Adam Wolff, Hooded Viper and Nigel Tufnel like this

#36 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:05 AM

My feelings exactly.

JMO, but Thorne is not good.

So just to clarify, you do or do not like Gary Thorne?

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:12 AM

I like Thorne because he's fun to listen to. The mispronunciation of names is more comical than anything else (I always make sure to be watching when we're playing Edwin Encarnacion). I wouldn't want him doing radio because you need to trust those guys to be right. But on TV - I can clearly see that what Thorne just called a fastball was a 75 MPH curve. It does amaze me how often he gets the pitches wrong though - seriously I think he calls them wrong more often than he calls them right.

I don’t disagree that he’s entertaining but I would like people doing the baseball announcers to actually know about the game though.

#38 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:24 AM

I like Thorne because he's fun to listen to.  The mispronunciation of names is more comical than anything else (I always make sure to be watching when we're playing Edwin Encarnacion).  I wouldn't want him doing radio because you need to trust those guys to be right.  But on TV - I can clearly see that what Thorne just called a fastball was a 75 MPH curve.  It does amaze me how often he gets the pitches wrong though - seriously I think he calls them wrong more often than he calls them right.

This is is it for me. It's especially nice to have someone fun/entertaining when the on field product is super sub par.

@AdamWolff

#39 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

I don’t disagree that he’s entertaining but I would like people doing the baseball announcers to actually know about the game though.

It's kind of funny - I would think that of many people you would be one that this wouldn't matter to so much.  You have a high opinion of your knowledge of baseball.  And I don't mean that as insult, because you should!  You're a bright guy - so why do you need the PBP guy to tell you what you can see for yourself?  Just seems odd to me.  Like I said, I wouldn't want Thorne doing radio, because I wouldn't be able to trust what he was telling me, which is of utmost importance when I can't see it myself.

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

Thorne used to be good. Really good. He was really good when the O’s got him. The last couples years he’s been off his game though. I wonder at times what games he’s watching, and what team he’s actually rooting for.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=