99 replies to this topic

#41 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:51 AM

I will put a post up on the fantrax page and we can start drafting immediately.

To start I won’t put a time limit between picks but if the pace is going too slow we can start to do something where you have 2-3 hours to pick and then the next team can go but you can then make your pick at any time.

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

Ok we’re officially at 10 teams so I ran a draft order generator. I had it emailed to me if anyone wants proof but here is the order:

Pick #1 - Slidemaster
Pick #2 - Buddy3547
Pick #3 - Gardening at night (Seth)
Pick #4 - High Flying Birds (Bob)
Pick #5 - Nick Stevens
Pick #6 - Team10 (Slide’s cousin)
Pick #7 - Statman
Pick #8 - Oriole drew
Pick #9 - Blue Ocean (Dude)
Pick #10 - RussBSL

Between Statman and Buddy one is Mike Randall and the other is Zach Spedden.

Buddy is me. When do we start?
  • BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:08 PM

Buddy is me. When do we start?

Now.

That sounds urgent but it’s a not live draft so hopefully everyone works together to make it move smoothly. Just pick up the player you want when it’s your pick and post your selection on the fantrax message board.

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:19 PM

Now.

That sounds urgent but it’s a not live draft so hopefully everyone works together to make it move smoothly. Just pick up the player you want when it’s your pick and post your selection on the fantrax message board.

Ok. Just to be clear I didn’t see a pick on the message board, so pick 1 is on the clock, then me...
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

Ok. Just to be clear I didn’t see a pick on the message board, so pick 1 is on the clock, then me...

You got it.

Hopefully once everyone is aware that the draft is ongoing we can all pay attention enough to make it move fairly quick.

#46 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

You got it.

Hopefully once everyone is aware that the draft is ongoing we can all pay attention enough to make it move fairly quick.

I’ll do my best. There are times where I’m not with my phone for a few hours at a time. But if I see I’m close, I’ll keep an eye.
@BSLMikeRandall

#47 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

I’ll do my best. There are times where I’m not with my phone for a few hours at a time. But if I see I’m close, I’ll keep an eye.

Of course, that’s all we can ask for. We have 22 days. We have options if we can’t get it completely done in that time.

#48 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:16 PM

I need to look at scoring and whatnot here.

And keeper rules - is this a straight keeper across the board league? Are there limitations?

I need to read the rules before I get this show on the road.

#49 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:30 PM

Ok, I have some questions/concerns about the league.

Question: it says the claim maximum is 99. Does that mean that we can only make 99 claims on any player all year or am I misinterpreting that? Also - if a player passes through waivers can he be picked up immediately with no delay?

Question: are rosters entirely static over the off season? Does any player need to be dropped from year to year or do we have them for as long as we like?

Concern: is there a limitation on how many starts a team can utilize from starting pitchers each week? If not, that can be abused pretty easily in a points league.

Concern: the scoring is *heavily* slanted towards starting pitchers, specifically with wins awarding a whopping 10 points. Combined with a quality start, that means that a pitcher earns 13 bonus points before any stats are calculated (IP, Ks, etc.). I've played in leagues like this before and, while fun, it almost makes even the best offensive players feel like an afterthought because they are outscored by even middle of the road starters.

Can we adjust that by chance? Just off the top of my head, maybe moving wins to 3 points as well along with QS, or at least to 5 points to match losses (though even that might be a bit much).

I'll play either way, but before the draft begins in earnest I'd like to see if that can be adjusted.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#50 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:45 PM

Ok, I have some questions/concerns about the league.

Question: it says the claim maximum is 99. Does that mean that we can only make 99 claims on any player all year or am I misinterpreting that? Also - if a player passes through waivers can he be picked up immediately with no delay?

Question: are rosters entirely static over the off season? Does any player need to be dropped from year to year or do we have them for as long as we like?

Concern: is there a limitation on how many starts a team can utilize from starting pitchers each week? If not, that can be abused pretty easily in a points league.

Concern: the scoring is *heavily* slanted towards starting pitchers, specifically with wins awarding a whopping 10 points. Combined with a quality start, that means that a pitcher earns 13 bonus points before any stats are calculated (IP, Ks, etc.). I've played in leagues like this before and, while fun, it almost makes even the best offensive players feel like an afterthought because they are outscored by even middle of the road starters.

Can we adjust that by chance? Just off the top of my head, maybe moving wins to 3 points as well along with QS, or at least to 5 points to match losses (though even that might be a bit much).

I'll play either way, but before the draft begins in earnest I'd like to see if that can be adjusted.

When it comes to a lot of this stuff like specific points I just left it at the default setting. I’m definitely willing to change things to make it more fair/fun.

Rosters are completely yours, theoretically forever. No mandatory drops. The only draft we’ll do every year is to basically restock our minor leagues.

I’m not sure about that waiver thing, I’ll have to take a look at that. But we can institute a rule to prevent streaming starters, whether that is setting the waiver period to 5-6 days after a guy is dropped or some kind of honor system.

#51 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone on here use WhatsApp? Nick, Zach, and I use it to discuss our podcast, we could start a group chat on there for the league. You just sign up with your phone number. It works pretty well.

#52 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

When it comes to a lot of this stuff like specific points I just left it at the default setting. I’m definitely willing to change things to make it more fair/fun.

Rosters are completely yours, theoretically forever. No mandatory drops. The only draft we’ll do every year is to basically restock our minor leagues.

I’m not sure about that waiver thing, I’ll have to take a look at that. But we can institute a rule to prevent streaming starters, whether that is setting the waiver period to 5-6 days after a guy is dropped or some kind of honor system.

I think a 10 start limit per week is a good round number to allow a little strategic streaming without flooding one's roster with starters every week.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like only one point is awarded per inning pitched rather than 3. I suppose that balances things a bit with the massive reward for wins. It just heavily skews things towards luck.

I wish a chart were available of how the scoring look at the end of last year.

My initial reaction looking at it is to maybe reduce the award for a win, increase the award for quality start, and add a start limit. I think that might be good.

#53 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

Does anyone on here use WhatsApp? Nick, Zach, and I use it to discuss our podcast, we could start a group chat on there for the league. You just sign up with your phone number. It works pretty well.

I don't use it often, but I have it available.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#54 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:04 PM

I think a 10 start limit per week is a good round number to allow a little strategic streaming without flooding one's roster with starters every week.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like only one point is awarded per inning pitched rather than 3. I suppose that balances things a bit with the massive reward for wins. It just heavily skews things towards luck.

I wish a chart were available of how the scoring look at the end of last year.

We could play around with it, maybe make innings worth 2 points and lower the reward for a win? At least we’ll all be playing with the same rules.

#55 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

My initial reaction looking at it is to maybe reduce the award for a win, increase the award for quality start, and add a start limit. I think that might be good.

Im good with that. Maybe cap it at 10-12 starts per week.

#56 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:12 PM

Im good with that. Maybe cap it at 10-12 starts per week.

Either is ok with me. I just hate having a win be 40-50% of a starter's value since it in large part isn't something the pitcher can control.

I forgot to look/ask - daily lineup changes, correct?
  • BobPhelan likes this

#57 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:22 PM

Either is ok with me. I just hate having a win be 40-50% of a starter's value since it in large part isn't something the pitcher can control.

Correct.

#58 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:43 AM

Hey Slide you ready to push this boulder over the hill?

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:05 AM

I think when I did my last big league, we threw wins out completely and just did QS, if not, you end up with some really fluke scores from RP when you get that team that is around .500 and has a lot of close games and get a BP guy with like 10 wins in the first half. Then you gotta think about it reducing RP value, and how to make people play them too. The cap on number of starts is the best way to prevent streaming and piling of stats. We ended up doing ratio stats vs counting stats, it was really different, but a guy couldn't also stack like 10 guys with a ton of RP appearances to stack counting stats.

Nothing is really going to be perfect, every time you change something to balance, it opens something else someone will use. I think that's why I stopped playing, it just got exhausting going in circles.

@JeremyMStrain

#60 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

Hey Slide you ready to push this boulder over the hill?

Yep! I'll make my first pick tonight after work.
  • BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=