#761 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

Obviously those count, I was referring to this version of the team.

That's not better, since it's only two years (if you even really CAN call last year's team the "same version" as this year).

@DJ_McCann

#762 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

In other news, grass is green and water is wet.
Of course it matters as far as making the playoffs is concerned, but the team and the fans should be far beyond being satisfied with making the playoffs. At this point, every season should be considered a failure if it doesn't result in making better progress in the playoffs. That is what I meant. And you knew it. Give me a break.

Here’s the thing..you are a miserable human being, at least when it comes to sports.

It’s 100% correct that it’s disappointing they didn’t win and it definitely takes something away from the year overall. And yes, we should hope for further advancement in the playoffs but if you believe in Lamar (which now you seem to be waffling on which is hilarious) and you believe in how the Ravens run things (which you would have to be a moron to not believe in that), you shouldn’t doubt how things will go long term.

But I would rather be a team that just went 14-2, lost their first playoff and has a bright future vs some garbage franchise that can’t get out of neutral.

As someone who didn’t believe in Lamar prior to this season, I feel he will be very good to elite going forward...assuming health and continued work on his game (the latter being a pretty easy thing to believe in). So, I’m not worried in the slightest about this team.

#763 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Since Ray Lewis retired and Ed Reed left, Harbaugh has made the playoffs 3 times with a 1-3 record. I find that interesting.

#764 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

Since Ray Lewis retired and Ed Reed left, Harbaugh has made the playoffs 3 times with a 1-3 record. I find that interesting.

Honestly, the issue goes back to offensive coaching.

We all know MM was awful.

But for all the good pub Roman got this year, his game plan was disgusting. What I don’t get is that Harbaugh didn’t see that. How could you prepare for 2 weeks and feel that the game plan they came up with was the proper one?

Coaching is so important, especially in the playoffs.

The talk of having to see Lamar win it..to me, I need to see that Roman can do it.

#765 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

Here’s the thing..you are a miserable human being, at least when it comes to sports.

I thought you were going somewhere with this, but you didn't. For what it's worth, you're a self-important, condescending jackass, at least when it comes to sports. I mean, as long as we're going there.

It’s 100% correct that it’s disappointing they didn’t win and it definitely takes something away from the year overall. And yes, we should hope for further advancement in the playoffs but if you believe in Lamar (which now you seem to be waffling on which is hilarious) and you believe in how the Ravens run things (which you would have to be a moron to not believe in that), you shouldn’t doubt how things will go long term.

It's less that I don't believe in Lamar and more that I do believe in the volatility of the NFL. You never take a great season for granted. You never assume it's a foregone conclusion you're going to be good. People that do either haven't watched enough football or are too stupid to learn something from it. Every great franchise feels invincible when things are going well. They aren't.

But I would rather be a team that just went 14-2, lost their first playoff and has a bright future vs some garbage franchise that can’t get out of neutral.

Cool. Neato. Did someone mention that they'd rather be a terrible franchise, or are we just talking about entirely irrelevant things we'd rather be over another? Can I play this game?

I'd rather be a Lion than a badger.
I'd rather be a on a beach in Hawaii than naked in the Ozarks.
I'd rather be a left twix than a right one.

Am I doing this right?

If you truly have no concerns, and are secure in your total conviction that this is an elite team for years to come, then you must know something nobody else does. This is the NFL. The only sure thing is unpredictability.

#766 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

1) Are you denying that you are a miserable sports fan? You have essentially said you are.

2) It’s not a guarantee..nothing is. But the Ravens found a way to be in the playoffs or in playoff contention with a team loaded with flaws and bad contracts when Joe was here.

I think they will be able to do the same thing (and more) with a team full of great contracts, youth and one of the best FO in the NFL.

Some organizations will always be laughing stocks..others will always be in the mix. The Ravens have proven to be the latter for almost 20 years.

They may not be 14-2 again but so what? They could win 11 or 12 games next year and be a better team heading into the playoffs.

I mean, what was it? 2 weeks ago you made a thread about how Ozzies last drafts were so good..well, you either believe that or you don’t. A lot of those guys are a huge part of the core of the team.

What I’m 100% sure about is the foundation is there for them to be at or near the top of the AFC for years to come.

#767 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

1) Are you denying that you are a miserable sports fan? You have essentially said you are.

2). It’s not a guarantee..nothing is. But the Ravens found a way to be in the playoffs or in playoff contention with a team loaded with flaws and bad contracts when Joe was here.

I think they will be able to do the same thing (and more) with a team full of great contracts, youth and one of the best FO in the NFL.

Some organizations will always be laughing stocks..others will always be in the mix. The Ravens have proven to be the latter for almost 20 years.

They may not be 14-2 again but so what? They could win 11 or 12 games next year and be a better team heading into the playoffs.

I mean, what was it? 2 weeks ago you made a thread about how Ozzies last drafts were so good..well, you either believe that or you don’t. A lot of those guys are a huge part of the core of the team.

1. I'm more pessimistic than the average sports fan, but I think that pessimism is rooted in realism.

2. The Ravens missed the playoffs more often than not after Joe's contract extension. Nobody is immune.

3. The bolded is where you really lose me. Some organizations will "always" be in the mix? Others will "always" be laughing stocks? No. They earn their way to wherever they go. It isn't a birthright, and any franchise can change for better or worse. The Ravens proved that when they dealt with mediocrity after Joe's extension.

I never said I expected the Ravens to be bad, but there it is unlikely they will ever be this good again. It is equally unlikely that Lamar ever can duplicate this kind of season. They probably just wasted the best year of their franchise QB's career.

That is a colossal failure.

#768 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:35 PM

It's not fair to just say "after Joe's extension". It was also after Joe's SB MVP run. The Ravens gave him the right amount of leash after that, less than many would've. Then acted with conviction and aggression when they drafted Lamar, then realized what they had with Lamar.

#769 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

It's not fair to just say "after Joe's extension". It was also after Joe's SB MVP run. The Ravens gave him the right amount of leash after that, less than many would've. Then acted with conviction and aggression when they drafted Lamar, then realized what they had with Lamar.

I'm not debating if the extension was the reason. Just using it as a marker to designate when the success began to dry up.

#770 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:42 PM

It was always lazy to blame the extension. Mediocre drafts and some other bad deals, like Rice and Monroe for example, didn’t help either. It was a “group effort”.

Joe just got the blame because he was the QB but they did nothing to help him out, whether it be talent around him or competent OC.

#771 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:43 PM

Mahomes greatest season may have been last year and yet, KC is right back where they were.

#772 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

It was always lazy to blame the extension. Mediocre drafts and some other bad deals, like Rice and Monroe for example, didn’t help either. It was a “group effort”.

Joe just got the blame because he was the QB but they did nothing to help him out, whether it be talent around him or competent OC.

Never committed to a run game, couldn't build a good line.

#773 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

Mahomes greatest season may have been last year and yet, KC is right back where they were.

Pulling for him to win it this year of the remaining teams.

#774 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

I’d like see Reid win one.

#775 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

I'm still really stunned. Just sucks.

If the coaches panic after a rough start, why wouldn't the players.

The coaching is who needs to grow from this the most. Just unreal how hard they choked. I'll never unsee those 59 pass attempts after setting an all time rushing record. Just sickening. All while giving up nearly 200 to Henry.
  • JordanKough and JStruds like this

#776 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:03 AM

I don't know what it is about Mahomes and KC but I just can't stand them.  I'm hoping the Titans continue this almost fantasy run of their's and go to the Super Bowl.  I doubt it happens but I would love to see it. 

#777 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:14 AM

Look at these stats from 538.

It’s so crazy to think about what the Ravens didn’t get done and what they should have gotten done.

https://fivethirtyei...=espn:frontpage

#778 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

Look at these stats from 538.

It’s so crazy to think about what the Ravens didn’t get done and what they should have gotten done.

https://fivethirtyei...=espn:frontpage

That doesn't make me feel any better.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#779 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

That doesn't make me feel any better.

To me, when you read between the lines, you see wow, the Ravens did more to beat themselves than Tennessee did to beat them.

#780 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

To me, when you read between the lines, you see wow, the Ravens did more to beat themselves than Tennessee did to beat them.

Oh they definitely did...I didn't need analytics to tell me that.

Yet Tennessee's direct responses to each turnover and 4th down stop is not to be discounted.

We crapped the bed and Tennessee made us pay for it every time.

Weird stuff always seems to happen in the playoffs...I just never expected it to happen at that level.

I still haven't fully processed it and I may never will.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=