• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#161 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Season's practically over right now anyway, isn't it? They have to be coming close to the point where you just cancel the rest of the games. It'd be a shame, too. Fans might be more forgiving if there was at least a small percentage of the season played, but I think it would have to be a lot tougher for fans to forgive if the whole season is canceled.
@mrbeanage

#162 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,770 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

After hearing nothing for weeks and no face to face talks in 2 weeks the league decides to send the NHLPA a new offer.
http://espn.go.com/n... ... ource-says

#163 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

After hearing nothing for weeks and no face to face talks in 2 weeks the league decides to send the NHLPA a new offer.
http://espn.go.com/n... ... ource-says

They have to seem like they are trying. Notice this has happened right before EACH cutoff to cancel games? No coincidence there. As far as I can tell, the changes in this one still don't address the salary rollback, or the cap for next season. With having to escrow money to make up for this season, that would cripple almost every team.

They added some stupid amnesty thing like the NBA where each team can cut one contract, and that little tiny bit of info should be really telling. That shows that the owners are trying to get out of some of these mega-deals they signed previously because they are tying up the cap.

Without going into too much detail, here are the top 10 salaries in the NHL this season. You tell me which teams paying this much money stand out to you as I bet they hate themselves now, and you'll know which owners are running the show. http://bleacherrepor...cts-for-2012-13
  • DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#164 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,770 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

Players and the league are set to meet today. I'm not holding my breath, but I would be lying if I said I still didn't want to see Hockey this year.

#165 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,770 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Sounds like actual negotiations have been taking place this week.(Very frustrating that it took the entire lockout almost up to the point of the whole season being cancelled before more meaningful discussions took place) The two sides have exchanged more proposals this week than probably the entire lockout. One possible positive sign is that the NHLPA let their deadline pass without filing their disclaimer of interest which probably would have lead to these negotiations blowing up. One of the sticking points right now is the proposed Salary Cap of 60 million in the second year of the deal. Players are asking for 65 million there so hopefully they can reach some middle ground there. They are running out of time to get this thing done.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#166 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Trying not to get too excited, but if this happens, it would be an exciting first day of hockey.

http://sports.yahoo.... ... nM-;_ylv=3

The no out of conference schedule makes sense.
  • DuffMan likes this

#167 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Sounds like actual negotiations have been taking place this week.(Very frustrating that it took the entire lockout almost up to the point of the whole season being cancelled before more meaningful discussions took place) The two sides have exchanged more proposals this week than probably the entire lockout. One possible positive sign is that the NHLPA let their deadline pass without filing their disclaimer of interest which probably would have lead to these negotiations blowing up. One of the sticking points right now is the proposed Salary Cap of 60 million in the second year of the deal. Players are asking for 65 million there so hopefully they can reach some middle ground there. They are running out of time to get this thing done.

The players were apparently told to be prepared for a revote at any time, though.

#168 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

The players were apparently told to be prepared for a revote at any time, though.

Naturally, the NHLPA will hold onto that chip... but there is a lot of smoke that a deal is really close. I guess we'll see, but I am as confident as I've ever been.

#169 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Naturally, the NHLPA will hold onto that chip... but there is a lot of smoke that a deal is really close. I guess we'll see, but I am as confident as I've ever been.

Its close because of that 100m carrot. If its not done by tonight its not happening.
@JeremyMStrain

#170 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Its close because of that 100m carrot. If its not done by tonight its not happening.

My understanding is the '14 cap and the pensions are still the two remaining issues. It would crush me for the two sides to come so close on all of the other issues, and not be able to reach an agreement due to these two factors.

#171 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

My understanding is the '14 cap and the pensions are still the two remaining issues. It would crush me for the two sides to come so close on all of the other issues, and not be able to reach an agreement due to these two factors.

There is more than that...those are the big ones that they will talk about. Salary rollback and escrow are still a problem.
@JeremyMStrain

#172 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

There is more than that...those are the big ones that they will talk about. Salary rollback and escrow are still a problem.

Will we see Hockey on January 19th? What's your gut say?

#173 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Will we see Hockey on January 19th? What's your gut say?

Still says no...but its closer that its ever been.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#174 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,770 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Something else that they haven't mentioned at all but I'm curious to see what they decide is the Olympics. I mean they gotta let those guys play in it right?

#175 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) has been a wealth of knowledge on Twitter. Apparently the mediators met with both sides for hours a piece, separately, yesterday. The take away was both sides expressed a willingness to move a bit on the remaining key issues.

The federal moderator is meeting with the NHLPA this morning beginning at 10:30 AM.

Keeping my fingers crossed. There have been some rumblings that Monday may be the magic day. I guess we'll see.

#176 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) has been a wealth of knowledge on Twitter. Apparently the mediators met with both sides for hours a piece, separately, yesterday. The take away was both sides expressed a willingness to move a bit on the remaining key issues.

The federal moderator is meeting with the NHLPA this morning beginning at 10:30 AM.

Keeping my fingers crossed. There have been some rumblings that Monday may be the magic day. I guess we'll see.

Yeah but in order to get that extra 100m they had to have a deal by Thursday and games start on the 12th. When the owners balk at paying that money past the deadline, things will fall apart. Darren Dreger is the other "in the know" analyst in hockey, and he said that things were far less optimistic yesterday. Trash talk has started on both sides, with Bettman telling a group of players that "a few GMs have said that they would like a chance to dismantle their teams and get out from under some contracts". That didn't sit well with the NHLPA at all.
@JeremyMStrain

#177 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Also, I enjoy these conversational, debate style write-ups ESPN has been doing lately on the lockout... the latest: http://espn.go.com/b... ... et-it-done

Interesting to hear Burnside say that the players don't plan to actually vote until next week, if the negotiations go south again.

#178 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yeah but in order to get that extra 100m they had to have a deal by Thursday and games start on the 12th. When the owners balk at paying that money past the deadline, things will fall apart. Darren Dreger is the other "in the know" analyst in hockey, and he said that things were far less optimistic yesterday. Trash talk has started on both sides, with Bettman telling a group of players that "a few GMs have said that they would like a chance to dismantle their teams and get out from under some contracts". That didn't sit well with the NHLPA at all.

I'd imagine that's why the mediator is meeting with the sides separately, rather than in the same room. Pretty insane how childish this is on some levels.

I'll try to find Dreger on Twitter.

#179 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'd imagine that's why the mediator is meeting with the sides separately, rather than in the same room. Pretty insane how childish this is on some levels.

I'll try to find Dreger on Twitter.

Yeah it's been the biggest dagger in all of this. There are hurt personal feelings on both sides, so eventually it turns into a free for all. This has been botched all the way around. I think the mediator will get to the root on a bunch of issues, but at the end of the day when the sides have to really come to an agreement it's not going to happen. Just my gut instinct though. The players are in worse position if they do cancel the whole year, so their best bet to get what they want is to use the owners greed and wanting to make money this season to close a deal. If it goes past this year, they get to the point where they don't have the money to hold out (their contingency plan covered one year, no more) and they will have to cave more with negotiations late this summer.
@JeremyMStrain

#180 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

http://prohockeytalk... ... r-2013-14/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users