#181 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Don't know how reliable he is, but former player Jeff O'Neill is saying the lockout is over:

BREAKING- #NHLLOCKOUT is over. Camp opens Jan 12. 50 game season. #lockout

https://twitter.com/...655775868948480

#182 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Don't know how reliable he is, but former player Jeff O'Neill is saying the lockout is over:

https://twitter.com/...655775868948480

We will know in the next 5 min.
@JeremyMStrain

#183 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

We will know in the next 5 min.

Really?!?!?! Wow!!!

#184 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Really?!?!?! Wow!!!

No deal yet. Working towards it though. Cap rising a big part. Escrow issue now.
@JeremyMStrain

#185 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

No deal yet. Working towards it though. Cap rising a big part. Escrow issue now.

Good deal. Thanks man.

#186 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Good deal. Thanks man.

Dont thank me im just a relay ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#187 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Dont thank me im just a relay ;)

Well, I still appreciate you relaying the info, because you don't have to. The twitterverse is mainly abuzz about "speculation" that a deal is finished. I think someone overreacted to the '13-'14 cap compromise and ran with it. It's certainly good news, but it seems clear they're still working out some things.

#188 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Well, I still appreciate you relaying the info, because you don't have to. The twitterverse is mainly abuzz about "speculation" that a deal is finished. I think someone overreacted to the '13-'14 cap compromise and ran with it. It's certainly good news, but it seems clear they're still working out some things.

Yeah a lot of people thought the cap thing was the only hurdle, it was just the most stubborn. When one side gives on an issue, they tend to get MORE stubborn about something else they weren't as tough on before. So there is still some work to do I think.

As long as it can't come back to my friend(s) I don't mind sharing. This kinda stuff is easy...it's team specific stuff that causes problems :)
@JeremyMStrain

#189 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Moving off of the 60 million dollar cap is definitely a good sign and a good thing for the Caps as well. Things are really getting close here now so let's hope they can buckle down here and get this done.

#190 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Moving off of the 60 million dollar cap is definitely a good sign and a good thing for the Caps as well. Things are really getting close here now so let's hope they can buckle down here and get this done.

They are settling in for an all night negotiation, they think they are that close.
@JeremyMStrain

#191 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

They've done all they can to destroy professional hockey. It can bounce back easily enough up north, but down here, they can't afford these major hick-ups.

#192 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

They've done all they can to destroy professional hockey. It can bounce back easily enough up north, but down here, they can't afford these major hick-ups.

Yep pretty much. I was saying in one of these older threads somewhere, that the southern teams already couldn't afford to keep things going, to add another slap in the face like this is going to break them. Maybe that is part of the strategy to force some teams to relocate up north?
@JeremyMStrain

#193 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Freudian slip? ;)

Yeah, they really need to get a deal done now. They are so close, and if talks fall apart and the season goes I don't see how they can come back with some of these teams. I don't think the Phoenix sale went through yet; would anyone want to buy that franchise now?

#194 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yep pretty much. I was saying in one of these older threads somewhere, that the southern teams already couldn't afford to keep things going, to add another slap in the face like this is going to break them. Maybe that is part of the strategy to force some teams to relocate up north?

I don't know whose strategy that would be. Bettman sees those franchises as his legacy. The owners want to get the most possible money, and while northern and Canadian cities may have more-loyal hockey fans they don't necessarily have more hockey fans (and they certainly don't have the raw TV-market numbers as these cities).

I can't see the players forcing it either, as I imagine many of them like living in warm-weather locations.

#195 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I don't know whose strategy that would be. Bettman sees those franchises as his legacy. The owners want to get the most possible money, and while northern and Canadian cities may have more-loyal hockey fans they don't necessarily have more hockey fans (and they certainly don't have the raw TV-market numbers as these cities).

I can't see the players forcing it either, as I imagine many of them like living in warm-weather locations.

He sees correcting the mistake as his legacy now, since every one of them has been a failure. Even with franchise success they can BARELY sustain themselves. In lean years they lose millions of dollars.

More northern teams mean more ratings and TV share too, but teams like FLA, TB, PHX are bleeding money. I saw something somewhere a while back that showed even in the big cities like LA when they weren't contending the TV numbers were awful. It's very much a what have you done for me lately sport. Even the Caps who have sold out for years now, lost over a mil this year.
@JeremyMStrain

#196 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

When I typed "hick-ups," I knew I was putting on a tee for some Northerner to say something.

Oh well. I love the Nashville Predators. They're probably my second favorite pro sports team. I live on the Eastern extreme of Tennessee, four hours from Nashville. Our local media totally ignores the Preds. Hardly anyone here follows hockey. Luckily I can watch them on the RSN. Around Nashville, it's a bit better, but it's nowhere near Titans level.

Long-term, though, I think the Southern franchises are important to the league. It just takes time for the sport to take root in the communities. These lockouts kill the momentum. The Predators were already struggling to get their requisite 14,000-average tickets sold and collect the money from corporate sponsorships -- lockouts do not help.

#197 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

When I typed "hick-ups," I knew I was putting on a tee for some Northerner to say something.

Oh well. I love the Nashville Predators. They're probably my second favorite pro sports team. I live on the Eastern extreme of Tennessee, four hours from Nashville. Our local media totally ignores the Preds. Hardly anyone here follows hockey. Luckily I can watch them on the RSN. Around Nashville, it's a bit better, but it's nowhere near Titans level.

Long-term, though, I think the Southern franchises are important to the league. It just takes time for the sport to take root in the communities. These lockouts kill the momentum. The Predators were already struggling to get their requisite 14,000-average tickets sold and collect the money from corporate sponsorships -- lockouts do not help.

Sure. And there are likely markets where hockey can survive in the warmer areas. Nashville only has one other major-league club, Carolina has essentially no pro competition. Dallas and LA are huge markets. But Miami and Phoenix should go elsewhere.

Oh, and I'm from Maryland, so I may not be a southerner, but I certainly am no northerner ;)

#198 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

If the SEC is two states away, you're in the North by modern analysis. 1855, not so much.

#199 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

If the SEC is two states away, you're in the North by modern analysis. 1855, not so much.

I was going to bring up the ACC, but of course Maryland's leaving for the Big Ten. So Huzzah! for the Union, and some such...

#200 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Looks like hockey is being played again soon. It's not a done deal, but people are pretty certain that things will get finalized. Just waiting for approval.

I guess because it was the most recent one, I just assumed that this lockout was the longest one to date, but I didn't realize that the 2004-2005 lockout was longer. Always happy to see that things were able to get done.

http://espn.go.com/n...ative-agreement
@mrbeanage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=