#141 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

Yep, it was the O's/Davey Johnson all over again. Collassolly stupid. Still angry about it. And very much rooting for the Islanders to continue their run. You know Trotz is in TB's head, so you never know, I could see NY upsetting the Bolts.

#142 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

So who does everyone like from TSN's latest Trade Bait column? I think Ehlers and Dunn are the most significant names mentioned for Capitals fans. Ehlers would give the Caps a top-notch forward who excels in transition, which is where the Capitals are very weak. Dunn is a lot like Nate Schmidt, in that he's had a lot of success in a somewhat limited role and I think he's ready to take a huge step forward. Would require the Caps to move out a defenseman, but Dunn would be worth the trouble of doing that.

If Josh Anderson could be had for a reasonable price, I'd take a flyer on him because he's a year removed from being a 47 point guy. But teams gush over any big forward who has skill, so the price to trade for him will likely be higher than it should be.

https://www.tsn.ca/t...board-1.1517697

I think it’s a moot point cause they aren’t making any big additions. The one move they may make is resigning Dillon. But they are right at the cap and aren’t going to try to tinker much outside of a new goalie. I’d love to see them unload Panik but I see them sitting still and introducing prospects more than making real moves.
@JeremyMStrain

#143 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Yep, it was the O's/Davey Johnson all over again. Collassolly stupid. Still angry about it. And very much rooting for the Islanders to continue their run. You know Trotz is in TB's head, so you never know, I could see NY upsetting the Bolts.

Certainly possible, but Tampa's really tough to stop because they attack you in waves and they're tough to play against too. If Steven Stamkos gets healthy, watch out. Trotz is a great coach, but the Islanders are going to have to execute a very tough gameplan to perfection to beat Tampa. And I'm not sure the Islanders have the players necessary to utilize that gameplan. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#144 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

I still pissed over Davey being let go, what a clown Peter was. I thought Ted was a better and smarter owner. oh well.

#145 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:09 AM

I think it’s a moot point cause they aren’t making any big additions. The one move they may make is resigning Dillon. But they are right at the cap and aren’t going to try to tinker much outside of a new goalie. I’d love to see them unload Panik but I see them sitting still and introducing prospects more than making real moves.

Same. I'd like to see them unload Panik. Useful player, but more of a luxury. Frankly, I'm open to trading Kuznetsov at this point. Too frustrating as a center. Would obviously want a significant return for him.

@BaltimoreDavey

#146 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:14 AM

Good. Glad they're still committed to figuring a way to win again while they still can. Wish him luck. Was in over his head here. No adjustments. No fire. He needs better assistants or something.

Go beg Rod Brind'Amour to come coach some real talent. That's my dream choice.

My ranked choices:

1a. Peter Laviolette (Gets immediate results and has shown he can coach different rosters. Every criticism I've heard of him could have easily been used in 2014 with Trotz.)

1b. Gerard Gallant (I want more information about what went down in Vegas because you don't fire a coach in season unless there's something going on. Especially since McPhee is usually a pretty darn patent guy.)

2. Jim Montgomery (Would have to answer for his personal struggles with alcoholism, but he has won everywhere he's gone) 

3. [every veteran option except Mike Babcock]

4. [every other option than Mike Babcock]

5. Mike Babcock (can't stress how overrated he is. Also, he has a huge ego and he treats players like garbage. Google "johan franzen mike babcock" if you want to know what I'm talking about.)

@BaltimoreDavey

#147 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

I want Rod Brind'Amour. Not sure I've seen a coach do more with less, other than Trotz, than him.

#148 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:21 AM

I want Rod Brind'Amour. Not sure I've seen a coach do more with less, other than Trotz, than him.

I'd love him too. But it's not happening, sadly. If I could get any coach, give me Jared Bednar. Few coaches are as good as making adjustments and dealing with adversity than him. Wouldn't happen in a billion years, but a guy can dream, right? Laviolette is the best of the available candidates. He's flawed, but you can't argue that he gets immediate results, which is what the Capitals need right now. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#149 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:23 AM

Same. I'd like to see them unload Panik. Useful player, but more of a luxury. Frankly, I'm open to trading Kuznetsov at this point. Too frustrating as a center. Would obviously want a significant return for him.

Yeah Tarik did a run down of the roster won’t be to could be gone for the athletic today and that was in there.

The problem I have is that it then opens up a hole at 1/2C and those are really hard to replace.

I think if Kuzy had his head on right it’s a no brainer, he’s a 100pt center. But they gotta want it.

That’s really my problem with this whole team in the playoffs. They didn’t want to be there. It showed. And their comments and them running straight home to their kids I think backs that up. Part of me expects a big bounce back from them next year just cause their head is out of their butt.
@JeremyMStrain

#150 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:29 AM

Yeah Tarik did a run down of the roster won’t be to could be gone for the athletic today and that was in there.

The problem I have is that it then opens up a hole at 1/2C and those are really hard to replace.

I think if Kuzy had his head on right it’s a no brainer, he’s a 100pt center. But they gotta want it.

That’s really my problem with this whole team in the playoffs. They didn’t want to be there. It showed. And their comments and them running straight home to their kids I think backs that up. Part of me expects a big bounce back from them next year just cause their head is out of their butt.

Connor McMichael is a long-term 2C option. Short term, I believe Lars Eller would be very serviceable there while McMichael grows in a sheltered 3C role. I think the Caps need to be open to trading Kuznetsov. Better get a great return for him, though. I'm not quite done with him yet. I'd probably at least see if he could make the switch to wing before making trading him a priority. Unless he improves immensely on defense, he ain't a center. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#151 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:08 AM

Connor McMichael is a long-term 2C option. Short term, I believe Lars Eller would be very serviceable there while McMichael grows in a sheltered 3C role. I think the Caps need to be open to trading Kuznetsov. Better get a great return for him, though. I'm not quite done with him yet. I'd probably at least see if he could make the switch to wing before making trading him a priority. Unless he improves immensely on defense, he ain't a center.

Word is Conor can’t handle C at the NHL level and will be a LW. Lars is a good 3C but if he’s your 2nd you aren’t a cup team.

I also worry that trading Kuzy could influence AO and if he resigns. That Russian connection is real for them.
@JeremyMStrain

#152 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

Word is Conor can’t handle C at the NHL level and will be a LW. Lars is a good 3C but if he’s your 2nd you aren’t a cup team.

I also worry that trading Kuzy could influence AO and if he resigns. That Russian connection is real for them.

I believe Conor will be a center. Wasn't sure before this season, but I really liked how he was a 200 foot player this season. Obviously, his production stood out, but he showed a lot of improvement defensively. I honestly never liked him as a wing, though maybe it was because he didn't have good line mates when he was a wing. Has the skill set to be a very effective one, though. 

Good point about Ovechkin. Certainly something to consider. Again, I'd only trade Kuznetsov if I got a great return. Just off the top of my head, something like Sean Monahan plus a second round pick for Kuznetsov. I don't like Monahan that much, but something like that. Not sure if anyone will want Kuznetsov's contract considering a lot of teams are struggling financially right now. The Capitals have to do something though, because Kuznetsov's defense isn't cutting it. He looks lost and he looks like he simply doesn't care defensively. I think if the Caps want to win the cup next year, they've either got to find a better 2C than Kuznetsov or Kuzy has to improve immensely on defense. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#153 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Reirden named the assistant coach in charge of defense in Pittsburgh. 

#154 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:35 PM

Reirden named the assistant coach in charge of defense in Pittsburgh. 

Not surprising.

Related... Capitals have an opening at assistant coach as well. Old friend Sergei Gonchar was recently let go by the Penguins. All my Penguins fan friends can't say enough good things about what he does with defensemen. I hope the Capitals consider him for the assistant coach vacancy. Would be great to see Gonchar back with the Capitals. Loved watching him as a kid growing up. 

Internally, it wouldn't totally surprise me if Brooks Orpik gets the nod. Understands the locker room and has a great mind for hockey. Capitals clearly think the world of him. I'd prefer someone more experienced like Gonchar, but Orpik would be a good choice too I think.

@BaltimoreDavey

#155 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

I'd like to let whoever the new coach is decide on the assistants. But neat idea, I liked Gonchar, too. Guess the Pens are retaining Sullivan - a lot of Pens fans were ready to chase him out of town after 2 Cups and now a couple years of letdowns.

#156 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

Gerard Gallant and Mike Babcock have been interviewed by the Capitals. I'd be happy with Gallant or Peter Laviolette (who has also been interviewed) but please no Babcock. 

https://t.co/ACknfp5VJx

@BaltimoreDavey

#157 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:39 AM

Laviolette it is.

#158 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:44 AM

Laviolette it is.

Was my second choice all along. And considering Gerard Gallant has probably had his eye on the Seattle Kraken for a while, maybe the best realistic candidate. Best of all, he's not Mike Babcock. I'm hearing the deal's for 3 years and apparently Laviolette's getting paid over $4 million a year. 

https://puckprose.co...tte-head-coach/

@BaltimoreDavey

#159 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

Was my second choice all along. And considering Gerard Gallant has probably had his eye on the Seattle Kraken for a while, maybe the best realistic candidate. Best of all, he's not Mike Babcock. I'm hearing the deal's for 3 years and apparently Laviolette's getting paid over $4 million a year.

https://puckprose.co...tte-head-coach/

Almost $5m per. Feels really high to me, but then I guess it feels like a desperation move before they need to try a retool. Getting to the end of the window unless they swap out some old large contracts for some cheap young production.
@JeremyMStrain

#160 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

Laviolette's resume sounds a lot like Trotz' before we hired him.  Both guys were in Nashville for a while. Both guys have one cup.  Difference is Trotz had a lot of success in Washington.  I was pissed when they let him go.  I am more pissed they let Reirden go after a covid interrupted season in which the Caps once again finished in first place.   Re-opening the coaching carousel is the stupidest plan they could have come up with. After wasting Ovi's prime years with different systems they now force this old and slow team to adapt to yet another one.  They should blow it up and start over. 

On a side note, why does Leonsis fall in love with his GMs and not hold them accountable for anything?  If there were issues with Trotz or Reirden and the front office why does the GM always get a pass under Ted?  Is Ted following his proven plan of success with the Wizards?    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=