285 replies to this topic

#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

I agree that the regular season is too long, but of course the same can be said of MLB and the NHL.

Yeah but baseball has always been a “pastime” something that is consistent. It’s on 5-6 time’s a week compared to NBA teams playing 1-2 times a week it seems.

Agreed on Hockey. Both the NHL and NBA aren’t worth paying attention to until February.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

Yeah but baseball has always been a “pastime” something that is consistent. It’s on 5-6 time’s a week compared to NBA teams playing 1-2 times a week it seems.

Agreed on Hockey. Both the NHL and NBA aren’t worth paying attention to until February.

NBA is more like 3 times a week.

How invested one is in any of these regular seasons is highly correlated to if they have a team, and how much they care about that team.

#63 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

NBA is more like 3 times a week.

How invested one is in any of these regular seasons is highly correlated to if they have a team, and how much they care about that team.

No doubt. But even someone with a team has to find November and December NBA games pretty irrelevant. Just like April baseball.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

No doubt. But even someone with a team has to find November and December NBA games pretty irrelevant. Just like April baseball.

Not really.

#65 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:09 PM

NBA offseason is better than the regular season.

I don’t even think this is a hot take. This is pretty obvious.

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:11 PM

Not really.

The early part of the season is pretty exciting, but then it does drag some later, because the season is indeed too long.

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:12 PM

I don’t even think this is a hot take. This is pretty obvious.

For people that don't have a team / don't watch much basketball.

#68 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

It all depends on whether you can enjoy the games individually on their own terms, or you primarily see them as necessary segments of a greater whole.

Part of why I don't watch much hockey is that, while I enjoy the gameplay, even within a playoff series my interest isn't there for every game. Whereas with baseball you could add any number of games and I would be OK, because I like watching one game at a time and seeing how those single bits add up over time.

It's just different ways of enjoying something.
@DJ_McCann

#69 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:15 PM

It all depends on whether you can enjoy the games individually on their own terms, or you primarily see them as necessary segments of a greater whole.

Part of why I don't watch much hockey is that, while I enjoy the gameplay, even within a playoff series my interest isn't there for every game. Whereas with baseball you could add any number of games and I would be OK, because I like watching one game at a time and seeing how those single bits add up over time.

It's just different ways of enjoying something.

Baseball feels like a different episode of my favorite show 162 times a year.  I don't get that with other sports for some reason.  I know they all have their own stories.

• DJ MC likes this

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

For people that don't have a team / don't watch much basketball.

Yea I guess..but even the members of the media that follow the sport find the offseason more compelling.

#71 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

Yea I guess..but even the members of the media that follow the sport find the offseason more compelling.

Some of them.

But it depends on how you want to look at it. The off-season is more compelling on a per day basis over like 10 days (most action gets done in the first 24 hours), but that's about it.

MLB off-season is also considered more compelling in the same way by many, but that drags on longer.

Playing GM and discussing potential and actual moves is fun in all sports that one cares about.

#72 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

Took a while for this thread to take off, but I’m glad it did.

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

Some of them.
But it depends on how you want to look at it. The off-season is more compelling on a per day basis over like 10 days (most action gets done in the first 24 hours), but that's about it.
MLB off-season is also considered more compelling in the same way by many, but that drags on longer.
Playing GM and discussing potential and actual moves is fun in all sports that one cares about.

Well, outside of the NFL, most people hate the regular seasons of most sports and all drag out long.

The offseasons often change the outlook of the league long term, especially the NBA.

#74 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

Took a while for this thread to take off, but I’m glad it did.

Meh. It went downhill when it became "Rants 3", and now it's stuff that could be discussed elsewhere. 

#hottake

• BSLChrisStoner, DJ MC and DuffMan like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#75 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Meh. It went downhill when it became "Rants 3", and now it's stuff that could be discussed elsewhere. 

#hottake

https://www.baltimor...nts-2/?p=823644

#76 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

Hot Take

In the Line of Fire is Clint Eastwood’s best movie.

Rants

I want the ability to pay by channel. That’s all. Don’t give me a bunch of stuff I have zero interest in ever watching

It’s the same thing as college, isn’t it?

Don’t make me pay for a bunch of things that have no use to me.

I know the difference. 

• mweb08 and NewMarketSean like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

Hot Take

Rants

I know the difference. 

I haven't even tried to say a hot take yet...Its been more responding to people's thoughts.

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:46 AM

The 2019 Raptors will be the last Canadian NBA Championship ever - and the last for the Eastern Conference for at least 5 years.

#79 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

The 2019 Raptors will be the last Canadian NBA Championship ever - and the last for the Eastern Conference for at least 5 years.

Ever is a long time. 

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

Ever is a long time. 

It is. I should cap it to like 40 years so hopefully I'm at least still around to know I'm right. ;) But I screwed up the hot take anyway - there's nothing "hot" about saying the EC won't win for at least 5 years. Oh well, just trying to help Sean out a bit here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=