#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:17 PM

Based on our current society, I think it's safe to say that our education system needs MORE American history, not less.

Agreed.

Of course I'm biased.
  • DJ MC likes this

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

Based on our current society, I think it's safe to say that our education system needs MORE American history, not less.

That’s fine but it still matters very little in most jobs.

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

While you may look at college as only a ways to get a job, ideally it is much, much more.

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:28 PM

It matters a great deal outside of all jobs.

@DJ_McCann

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

While you may look at college as only a ways to get a job, ideally it is much, much more.

You don’t need to take several of those classes in college to become more well rounded. I guarantee you that you took plenty of college classes where info you learned you have forgotten or not used in your life.

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

In a democracy, your level of education can't just be "what gets you jobs". An informed, well-rounded, educated electorate is one of the necessary pillars to a truly successful civilization. Education shouldn't just be a worker/employee factory mill. Come on man.

• DJ MC and McNulty like this

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

In a democracy, your level of education can't just be "what gets you jobs". An informed, well-rounded, educated electorate is one of the necessary pillars to a truly successful civilization. Education shouldn't just be a worker/employee factory mill. Come on man.

You can still choose to be that “well rounded” (which is bs btw) person if you want.

But to keep the costs down, you should be able to go and take the classes that help you get what you want.

When a player leaves college after 1 year, we applaud them and say, who cares, this is what they want to do for a career.

This is the same premise. You go and take what you want and need to do to finish your major. Iirc, you only take around 60 credits or so in your major. If that’s what you want to take, you should be allowed to do that and be done. You shouldn’t have to do more book reports or take math classes you will never use or whatever.

If you want to take those classes, you can. But the option should be there for you to not have to worry about that bullshit.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:09 PM

You can still choose to be that “well rounded” (which is bs btw) person if you want.

But to keep the costs down, you should be able to go and take the classes that help you get what you want.

When a player leaves college after 1 year, we applaud them and say, who cares, this is what they want to do for a career.

This is the same premise. You go and take what you want and need to do to finish your major. Iirc, you only take around 60 credits or so in your major. If that’s what you want to take, you should be allowed to do that and be done. You shouldn’t have to do more book reports or take math classes you will never use or whatever.

If you want to take those classes, you can. But the option should be there for you to not have to worry about that bullshit.

The colleges are operated as businesses... which is part of why they make you take everything, and why I agree with you to a point about how it would be cool if you could essentially take your Major only vs. the existing 50/50 split with Gen Ed requirements. 

Despite that, I agree with the idea people should have exposure to lots of different things. I'd just suggest more life skills vs. some of the offerings most universities make all students take now.

But since colleges are operated as businesses... and part of their goal is to make as much $ as they can... then its not on the universities to limit you to just the classes within the major. 

One of those things where if you don't want to play by their rules, don't go. 

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

That is an absurdly different situation. Mostly because the career in question does not require ANY higher education experience.

In addition, the teams involved are the ones who decide if a player without a degree is worth hiring. If a company decides that a prospective employee who only goes to college for a year but takes a couple of classes in that field is worth hiring, they can do that, too. Or, just as a sports league can decide to create an independent developmental system, so could they.

@DJ_McCann

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

You don’t need to take several of those classes in college to become more well rounded. I guarantee you that you took plenty of college classes where info you learned you have forgotten or not used in your life.

I could have done without a couple math classes and foreign language (only because I never became close to fluent). Otherwise, I am glad to have taken everything else.

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

That is an absurdly different situation. Mostly because the career in question does not require ANY higher education experience.

In addition, the teams involved are the ones who decide if a player without a degree is worth hiring. If a company decides that a prospective employee who only goes to college for a year but takes a couple of classes in that field is worth hiring, they can do that, too. Or, just as a sports league can decide to create an independent developmental system, so could they.

Yep, also those athletes are being exploited by those universities, they risk their future career by remaining in college, and their window for making money in that profession is vastly shorter than your typical profession.

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

I could have done without a couple math classes and foreign language (only because I never became close to fluent). Otherwise, I am glad to have taken everything else.

Good for you. You liked that.

But as you said, you could have gone without classes and your life and your intelligence, etc...would be no different today had you not taken them.

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

Good for you. You liked that.

But as you said, you could have gone without classes and your life and your intelligence, etc...would be no different today had you not taken them.

Yeah, a few classes, which could have been replaced with other classes that I could have gotten more out of.

Obviously we aren't going to agree, but it's certainly no surprise that you didn't get much out of many classes or that you view the college helping people become more rounded as BS.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

Soccer hot take: there shouldn't be offsides.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#55 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

One better: basketball SHOULD have offsides.
@DJ_McCann

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:17 AM

I've really grown to enjoy soccer, but it's one aspect of the game I really dislike. 

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

One better: basketball SHOULD have offsides.

Terrible idea
  • SportsGuy likes this

#58 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

Terrible idea

So is yours. What's your point? :)
@DJ_McCann

#59 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

NBA offseason is better than the regular season.

Obviously the playoffs and finals are the best part of the NBA season but regular season is such a slog and this offseason has been the best reality TV show.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:39 AM

NBA offseason is better than the regular season.

Obviously the playoffs and finals are the best part of the NBA season but regular season is such a slog and this offseason has been the best reality TV show.

I agree that the regular season is too long, but of course the same can be said of MLB and the NHL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=