@levineps

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

On another message board I read there is a Seattle resident who frequently posts about the status of the proposed new arena. While he acknowledges that today represents a huge step, and the last big hurdle from a government standpoint, he'll remain skeptical until the first shovels hit the dirt. Apparently it is very difficult to get projects like this done in Seattle, as there are always very vocal (albeit minority) individuals and groups that attempt to block construction. He said it's probably a given that a lawsuit will be filed to at least force this onto a ballot measure, if not stop it altogether.

That said, I really hope this gets done. Seattle has a solid NBA history and this would immediately vault them to the top of the list for relocation (Kings). And from a public perspective, it looks like one of the better deals I've seen, and I doubt anything better would come up if this does not work.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

On another message board I read there is a Seattle resident who frequently posts about the status of the proposed new arena. While he acknowledges that today represents a huge step, and the last big hurdle from a government standpoint, he'll remain skeptical until the first shovels hit the dirt. Apparently it is very difficult to get projects like this done in Seattle, as there are always very vocal (albeit minority) individuals and groups that attempt to block construction. He said it's probably a given that a lawsuit will be filed to at least force this onto a ballot measure, if not stop it altogether.

That said, I really hope this gets done. Seattle has a solid NBA history and this would immediately vault them to the top of the list for relocation (Kings). And from a public perspective, it looks like one of the better deals I've seen, and I doubt anything better would come up if this does not work.

The thing on the side of the city is that (from what I read earlier) it sounds like most--if not all--of the actual public money will be spent on areas used by the public, namely the infrastructure in the surrounding area.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

http://deadspin.com/... ... t=52640143

Earlier this week, the Seattle City Council announced a tentative agreement on a new arena, to be built in the Sodo (south of downtown) neighborhood where Safeco Field and CenturyLink Field already stand. The revised plan is the product of months of negotiation with hedge fund investor Chris Hansen, who's long made it his goal to bring an NBA team back to the city. The city, wary of the money pit that is the publicly financed stadium, sought concessions from Hansen, and got some. More details of the plan are here and here, but all you need to know is this: now, practically the last thing standing in the way of an arena rising on the site is Hansen finding a team to buy and move.

Well, that and the Mariners.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

The city of Seattle and King County each agreed to the plan for an arena just south of the current stadium complex, with funding based on whether Chris Hanson can attract one team ($145 million in public funding of the $490 million total) or two ($200 million).

And yes, I somehow managed to avoid a "...Chris Hanson can ask one team or two to have a seat over there," joke.

Dammit.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

The city of Seattle and King County each agreed to the plan for an arena just south of the current stadium complex, with funding based on whether Chris Hanson can attract one team ($145 million in public funding of the $490 million total) or two ($200 million).

And yes, I somehow managed to avoid a "...Chris Hanson can ask one team or two to have a seat over there," joke.

Dammit.

ESPN: Legislation signed for new arena

http://espn.go.com/n...ttle-arena-deal
@levineps

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Dammit.

So does that mean they are also trying to court an NHL team?

I honestly have no idea if hockey is popular in Seattle, but it's better having a hockey team in Washington than Arizona.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

I honestly have no idea if hockey is popular in Seattle, but it's better having a hockey team in Washington than Arizona.

Yes, they are. The Edmonton Oilers paid a visit a couple weeks ago to discuss relocation, although I think they ultimately stay put. But I could definitely see the Coyotes setting up shop there once the arena is built. The thing about an NHL team is that I'm not so sure that Key Arena is even suitable as a temporary home for ice hockey, so a team might have to wait until the new arena is complete....whereas an NBA team could certainly play for a while in Key Arena rather than staying in their current city (Sacramento) for another year or two as a lame duck.

As for whether Seattle could/would support the NHL, I don't know. There's plenty of money and people there. And although it isn't in modern times, they do have a hockey history. Few people may know this, but the first American-based team to win the Stanley Cup was from Seattle.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

My guess is they prefer basketball to hockey from what is written, but they'll take having hockey to having no major winter sports.
@levineps

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

My guess is they prefer basketball to hockey from what is written, but they'll take having hockey to having no major winter sports.

Since the city's contribution to the project is to be repaid through revenues derived from events at the arena, and Hansen is on the hook for any difference if the revenues don't cover it, he definitely would like to have both NBA and NHL there.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Since the city's contribution to the project is to be repaid through revenues derived from events at the arena, and Hansen is on the hook for any difference if the revenues don't cover it, he definitely would like to have both NBA and NHL there.

Yeah I'm sure he'd like to have both there, just like I'd like to win the lottery.
@levineps

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Yeah I'm sure he'd like to have both there, just like I'd like to win the lottery.

Yeah, but I think both NBA and NHL are very doable. Seattle's market size and corporate backing (Steve Ballmer of Microsoft and the Nordstrom family have both given their public support to Hansen's efforts) make it a very attractive landing spot as long as the facility exists. Now how much support both would get if/when they actually get there, particularly the NHL, remains to be seen. But once the shovels are in the ground on the arena, you've got just about everything a pro-sports franchise is looking for in a new home.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

My point is I don't think Seattle (both public and private interests) will be too greedy here. They would prefer basketball to hockey (if they could only get one). I don't ever want to say ever, but my guess is they don't get both at about the same time. If Sacramento (or some other city) moved then they'd wait a while for an NHL team and vice versa. They only have two major sports right now. I agree with what you are saying in terms of market size and corporate backing (and you'd know better than me being in that area). Just not sure how much interest there is too support four major teams, that's never been done there before, they did have three for a while, and all of them at some points have considered leaving (with Sonics actually doing so).
@levineps

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

From what seems to be coming out about the project, the primary goal is a NBA franchise. An NHL franchise would be welcome, and the arena will be built with that in mind, but it won't be built at all until there is a basketball team already on its way--expansion or relocation.

This will really make the Kings' situation interesting over the next year or two. The Maloofs want out, but they want to own the team wherever it goes. The NBA seems very mixed over whether or not they want to see that ownership group continue in power, and they definitely want a new team in Seattle over, say, Anaheim or Kansas City. Hanson is going to want to own whichever team moves northwest.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

This will really make the Kings' situation interesting over the next year or two. The Maloofs want out, but they want to own the team wherever it goes. The NBA seems very mixed over whether or not they want to see that ownership group continue in power, and they definitely want a new team in Seattle over, say, Anaheim or Kansas City. Hanson is going to want to own whichever team moves northwest.

And that's the big sticking point I see....while the Maloofs are having financial issues, it does not appear to be to the extent that they need or want to sell the Kings. Which makes me wonder if Hansen could first acquire an NHL team and move it to Seattle to get the arena built, if he would then be satisfied to just have the Kings as a tenant and collect rent from the Maloofs.

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46433879

Three different designs for the exterior were revealed, including a preferred option consisting of a rectangular building with the look of a cruise-ship on the top and a large public plaza. The design firm Hansen is using on the project, 360 Architecture, writes that the preferred option emphasizes the "front-door" toward downtown Seattle and maximizes the footprint of the arena site, but may lack an "iconic presence."

Another option features an extreme oval shape encased in a glass exterior that gives a 360-degree view of the area surrounding the arena. The last option is a rectangular building with a roof line that looks like flowing waves.

What a rectangular building with a roof line that looks like flowing waves might look like:

Posted Image

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Don't forget to build a stage on one end inside.

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Some renderings, courtesy of The Seattle Times.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,652 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Don't forget to build a stage on one end inside.

Yea, that is always a great idea. It works so well here at the beatiful Baltimore Arena. :D

Seriously though, I have to wonder if the dictator David Stern holds this up until be abdicates the throne.
@mikeghg

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yea, that is always a great idea. It works so well here at the beatiful Baltimore Arena. :D

Seriously though, I have to wonder if the dictator David Stern holds this up until be abdicates the throne.

Maybe. On the other hand, it would also give him a chance to right one of the biggest wrongs he orchestrated before heading off into the sunset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=