SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

This was what I wrote about Country House the other day: 

20-Country House: 30-1, Improving colt for sure, but I just don’t see it against these. Check back on him in a few months. I see a big future here, but not in this race.

I didn't realize the "big future" was just a few days away. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

Nice call, Sean!

I started to like him as the week went on, but didn't play him.

Well too bad I didn’t play him after all.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

DQ's happen all the time. It was the right call, totally cost a few horses a shot. 

Thought they'd move him down to ninth, below War of Will, who he really screwed..Didn't expect them to DQ him to last. 

Ok, so it turned out that the jockey on the #18, Long Range Toddy also lodged an objection, so that's why they put "Max" down where they did, right below the last horse he affected. 

It was the right call. 

@beginthebegin71

#24 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:52 AM

I didn't like the call, he was obviously the best horse in the field.  But I also admit I am not a horse racing expert.  I just hate when replay takes away what you see whether it's in football or horse racing.  The jockey claimed the horse got upset by the crowd noise coming around the turn.  He should run the Preakness.  Won't be any noise from the dilapidated stands.  Although the sound of gunshots that are always a possibility in Baltimore might bother him.  

#25 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:23 AM

Seth certainly knows a lot more about racing than I do so I'll defer to him that it was the right call. I don't like it though. If the 2nd place horse had been affected I could see it, or if it was determined to be intentional, which everyone seems to agree it wasn't.

I'm guessing this may be one of the first times that a lot of people aren't pulling for the derby "winner" at the Preakness.

#26 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

It was 100% the right call. You can't treat it any different than you treat the third race on a Wednesday in January. He clearly hurt the chances of the 1 and the 18, and that's the determining factor. Once the #18 lodged the objection, it was a no brainer. You can clearly see the #18 horse suddenly stop and actually veer up and then fade to finish 17th. 

It was a very easy decision and only took 22 minutes because it's a brutal spot to put the stewards in. Rules are rules, whether it's the Derby or as I said earlier, the third race on a Wednesday. 

As one of the last 13 die hard Horse Racing fans in the country, I know it's a black eye for the sport, but it was the right call. 

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this
@beginthebegin71

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

It was 100% the right call. You can't treat it any different than you treat the third race on a Wednesday in January. He clearly hurt the chances of the 1 and the 18, and that's the determining factor. Once the #18 lodged the objection, it was a no brainer. You can clearly see the #18 horse suddenly stop and actually veer up and then fade to finish 17th. 

It was a very easy decision and only took 22 minutes because it's a brutal spot to put the stewards in. Rules are rules, whether it's the Derby or as I said earlier, the third race on a Wednesday. 

As one of the last 13 die hard Horse Racing fans in the country, I know it's a black eye for the sport, but it was the right call. 

I don't like the "you can't make that call in that spot" like of thinking. If it was an infraction, then it was, and has to be called. I'll defer to the experts like yourself who are calling it the right call. 

Besides, the favorite winning the derby the last what, seven times, is boring. Mix it up a little.

• SBTarheel likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

I don't like the "you can't make that call in that spot" like of thinking. If it was an infraction, then it was, and has to be called. I'll defer to the experts like yourself who are calling it the right call.

Besides, the favorite winning the derby the last what, seven times, is boring. Mix it up a little.

Exactly. Your first point is really the best way to put it.

Yes, it absolutely sucks that the best horse on the track didn't win, can't and won't deny that. But the stewards made the right call, as far as applying the rules of racing to this particular race.
@beginthebegin71

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

Agree with Seth, and love the perspective. If Max wins the next two, imagine the talk though.

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Yea. My thought is you can’t get carried away by the magnitude of the race.

Which adds nothing to the discussion but I figured I had to weigh in because people value my opinion on this site
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#31 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

I don't have a problem with them making the call the way it would be made in any other race.  And after reading some of the accounts I absolutely agree that horses lives and jockeys lives were placed in jeopardy by the reckless move of the 7 horse.  If the horse he cut off would have went down, it could have been disastrous.  I guess the only thing I disagree with is a DQ that changes the outcome of the race.  I think a better system would leave the result intact unless it was determined the move was directly responsible for the win and the horse otherwise would not have won.  I believe a hefty fine for the owner, even the jockey would be in order.  But I am no expert and most of what I read said the call was right and the horse should have been taken down.  As a casual fan, I just don't like when what I watched tells me one thing and a technicality changes the result.  But those are the rules.  

#32 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:28 AM

Like I said, if it was the right call it was the right call.  I guess I have a bigger problem with the objection being lodged in the first place.  2 jockeys whose horses weren't going to win lodged the objection.  The stewards themselves didn't, and the jockey whose horse was most affected didn't.  Again if it were intentional I'd totally get it, but to take away that race from the best horse just doesn't seem right.  Will be interesting to hear the fan reaction to both horses at the Preakness, I'd wager (pun intended!) that a lot of folks aren't happy with the way Country House won the race.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

Maximum Security will not race in the Preakness.

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

Apparently, neither will Country House. Which seems insane to me.

#35 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

Bob Baffert probably expresses my thoughts on it a little better...

One dissenting voice on the backstretch was another Hall of Famer trainer, five-time Derby winner Bob Baffert. During the race, Baffert stood in the saddling paddock, where he watched American Pharoah win the 2015 Derby and near the small room where he watched Justify win it a year ago. Baffert suggested that the Derby is just a different race from all others, and that everyday rules should not always apply. “No one ever calls an objection in the Derby,” Baffert told me Sunday afternoon, by text. “It’s always a roughly run race. Twenty-horse field. I have been wiped out numerous times, but that is the Derby. I can see by the book why they did it. But sometimes you’ve got to take your ass-kickings with dignity.”

• You Play to Win the Game and Mark Carver like this

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:02 AM

Apparently, neither will Country House. Which seems insane to me.

That is crazy. Just from the standpoint that if you win the next two your horses DNA is worth like a zillion dollars.
@BSLMikeRandall

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

The owner of Max Sec was on one of the morning shows today bitching about the amount of horses in the race...Said 20 is too many and that Churchill Downs is just being greedy and putting the lives of the horses and jockeys in danger.

• Mike in STL likes this

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:10 AM

The pwner of Max Sec was on one of the morning shows today bitching about the amount of horses in the race...Said 20 is too many and that Churchill Downs is just being greedy and putting the lives of the horses and jockeys in danger.

I have to agree with that. 20 Looks like too many when they all come out of the gate and bunch up.  Considering that most of the regular everyday races have less than 10, sometimes only in the 5-7 range. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#39 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:32 AM

Exactly, like in Game 7 of the Carolina-Caps series and Jensen took a high stick to the face and was bleeding pretty bad.  The refs didn't let the fact that it was over halfway through game 7 prevent them from calling a 4 minute double minor for an obvious penalty, wait a second.......

• Mike in STL likes this

#40 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Bob Baffert probably expresses my thoughts on it a little better...

Absolutely, it's always a roughly run race, but the leader doesn't always blatantly veer out causing the horses behind him to check or go down to a knee. Just go back and watch what happens to the 1 and the 18, and it totally took them out of contention.. Doesn't mean either would have won, but the actions of the #7 eliminated them from having a chance. Like I've been saying, it sucks, but it really was a no brainer. 

• DJ MC likes this
@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=