BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

GAME DAY!

Lets get this done ladies. I would look for a clean sheet and a handful of goals for the good side.

#22 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

Well the Women got it, got it some more, then finished getting a bunch more.

Total domination and set an all time record winning 13-0. Most goals ever scored in a Women's WC match. 

Alex Morgan tied the record with Michele Akers for most goals in a match with 5.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

The Ringer: Forget Sportsmanship and Appreciate the Dominance of the USWNT Dream Team

#24 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

As a long time coach at a pretty high level we had numerous teams that simply were light years better than some opponents. And we played some teams that were WAY better than we were at times.

I never had an opposing coach come down on my teams if they played hard and just kept scoring. In fact I had some thank me for our team showing how the game could really be played at a high level and how much fun his kids had seeing that even though the scoreline was atrocious. Sure they probably could have toned down the celebration a bit. But as pointed out. This was the freaking WC. It happens once every four years.

Put that in perspective of how many times in a persons career are they likely to be able to participate. Lets take Carli Lloyd for example. This is probably it for her. Should the team have not celebrated when she scored making it 13-0? I jumped out of my chair and screamed more on that one that the first goal of the game.

Not once did the team glare at the Thai.

Not once did the team make any kind of ridiculing gestures at the Thai.

They merely celebrated amongs themselves for each goal.

And at the end of the game they showed class and compassion for the Thai.

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

I've seen people complaining about this. And if we are talking 10 year old youth sports, or even HS I agree with them. Sportsmanship is a big thing.

But this is literally the APEX of the sport globally. THIS is the level they are allowed to go as all out and over the top as they want.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#26 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

I've seen people complaining about this. And if we are talking 10 year old youth sports, or even HS I agree with them. Sportsmanship is a big thing.

But this is literally the APEX of the sport globally. THIS is the level they are allowed to go as all out and over the top as they want.

Jeremy I'll take it even a step further (and yes I am biased).  The World Cup is THE apex of any sport on the planet. There is nothing bigger in the world that the WC.

#27 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

Jeremy I'll take it even a step further (and yes I am biased).  The World Cup is THE apex of any sport on the planet. There is nothing bigger in the world that the WC.

Yeah I mean, I have this argument with people all the time with youth sports and my daughters. Some of these people skip development in the name of winning 8 year old soccer games, and trash talk and scream at each other...that is NOT the time.

BUT this is the jewels of the world on display, this is the level (and really, any professional level) where that kind of stuff is completely ok. As long as you aren't taking it to a point where you are trash talking your opponent, refusing to shake hands stuff like that, there is no reason to judge them for celebrating. They just set records on the world stage. That's perfectly ok to go a little over the top.

@JeremyMStrain

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

They did nothing wrong.

#29 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:29 PM

This whole argument is total BS!  They did nothing wrong except whip some inferior teams ass!

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

CBS Sports: 2019 Women's World Cup scores, highlights: Australia comes back for crucial win; Marta returns, scores for Brazil
https://www.cbssport...res-for-brazil/

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

ESPN: England beat Argentina to secure last-16 spot

ESPN: Girelli hat trick helps Italy reach last 16

ESPN: Japan back on track with win over Scotland

#32 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

Women's match with Chile starts in 5. Should be another fairly easy match although not like Thailand. Lots of subs to rest players.

Rapinoe doing her thing on the sidleine. Standing there like a robot. Great player but can't stand her.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,460 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Just dominating.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#34 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:57 AM

3-0 at the half and the score reflects the play. US just pressing them into submission.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

3-0 at the half and the score reflects the play. US just pressing them into submission.

With only half their lineup. Benched half the team to spread out minutes and get game experience, and just beat them into submission with headers from the box.

Not to mention would have been like 7-0 if Chile's goalie didn't stand on her head a few times with saves.

@JeremyMStrain

#36 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

Jeremy the Chile keeper is maybe the #1 woman's keeper in the world and if she isn't #1 shes certainly in the top handful. She is the starting keeper for PSG in France, one of the top women's club teams in the world. There are very very few women's keepers that make the save that she did on the volley from Press in the second half. That was ESPN highlight reel stuff.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:50 AM

ESPN: New lineup, similar result as USWNT dominates Chile, makes knockout round

ESPN: Sweden hit Thailand for five to seal knockout spot

ESPN: Australia were lucky against Brazil but can't rely on that fortune again

ESPN: Canada book spot into last-16 with win at WWC

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

CBS Sports: Women's World Cup odds, predictions 2019: Betting lines, top expert picks for Brazil vs. Italy
https://www.cbssport...tchup-vs-spain/

CBS Sports: Women's World Cup 2019 scores, news: Who's into the round of 16 and who's out as only four spots remain
https://www.cbssport...r-spots-remain/

CBS Sports: Women's World Cup 2019 Power Rankings: Dominant USWNT remains in top spot, Brazil slips
https://www.cbssport...t-brazil-slips/

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

SI: Ellis Deserves Praise, but Real Women's World Cup Starts Now for USA and Its Coach
https://www.si.com/s...d-cup-usa-coach

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:24 AM

Jeremy the Chile keeper is maybe the #1 woman's keeper in the world and if she isn't #1 shes certainly in the top handful. She is the starting keeper for PSG in France, one of the top women's club teams in the world. There are very very few women's keepers that make the save that she did on the volley from Press in the second half. That was ESPN highlight reel stuff.

Oh yeah I 100% believe that. That first scramble and save early in the game was impressive, but man that one falling down with her left hand was something else.

I mean she just got constantly bombarded with headers from the box, (and I feel like that's cause they were dialing back a little) or sharp angle shots and she was fearless in there. My middle child is the big soccer player, she's a defender/d-mid so we were watching how she should position and play and at some point we were like, ok, watch how the US plays defense, not so much Chile.

@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=