You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:47 PM

Rui should be a quality NBA player.

I don’t think he has a high ceiling but a solid role player for 10+ years is certainly possible.

Not where I would have gone at 9 but I do think he has a pretty high floor.

I'm good with it. I love Hachimura personally. We'll see. Not crazy about not having contacted him at all during the vetting process. Typical.

#163 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:48 AM

I don't follow the NBA, but saw this this morning.  This is about one of the dumbest things I've ever seen:

http://www.msn.com/e...bSeE?ocid=ientp

How about just not wearing any hat at all?

#164 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Yep...this is very stupid.

The thing is, some of these trades involve bigger deals that aren’t official until the league year starts.

The trades that just occur on draft day and involve draft picks/players under contract already, can be announced the day of the draft.

The NFL has their stupid “no announcement until the league year starts” rules as well but their draft is almost 2 months after the league year, so they don’t have this issue.

It’s a procedural thing and I’m not sure how you can really change it. They could move the league year up I suppose. The draft is pretty quick after the season ends and you have summer league soon, so pushing the draft back doesn’t seem smart especially since it’s such a short offseason in the NBA.

#165 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

Yep...this is very stupid.

The thing is, some of these trades involve bigger deals that aren’t official until the league year starts.

The trades that just occur on draft day and involve draft picks/players under contract already, can be announced the day of the draft.

The NFL has their stupid “no announcement until the league year starts” rules as well but their draft is almost 2 months after the league year, so they don’t have this issue.

It’s a procedural thing and I’m not sure how you can really change it. They could move the league year up I suppose. The draft is pretty quick after the season ends and you have summer league soon, so pushing the draft back doesn’t seem smart especially since it’s such a short offseason in the NBA.

Or move the draft back.

It really was almost impossible to keep up with.

@mikeghg

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:04 AM

The Ringer: Grading the 2019 NBA Draft

#167 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

CBS Sports: 2019 NBA Draft takeaways: Zion leads huge night for Pelicans; Celtics nearing max room; five sleepers to watch
https://www.cbssport...epers-to-watch/

SI: 2019 NBA Draft Winners and Losers: Grizzlies, Suns and Two Stories for the Pelicans
https://www.si.com/n...-barrett-knicks

#168 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

Or move the draft back.

It really was almost impossible to keep up with.

As I said, if you move the draft back, you are also pushing summer league back and the camps open up in September or so.  Its just not much time in between summer league and the draft.  

Its a minor issue that if you try and fix it, will cause a lot of other problems.  

#169 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:51 AM

CBS Sports: 2019 NBA Draft takeaways: Zion leads huge night for Pelicans; Celtics nearing max room; five sleepers to watch
https://www.cbssport...epers-to-watch/

SI: 2019 NBA Draft Winners and Losers: Grizzlies, Suns and Two Stories for the Pelicans
https://www.si.com/n...-barrett-knicks

Their own, the Grizzlies' No. 1 pick (which is top-six protected) and Milwaukee's first-round pick. That Memphis pick remains one of the league jewel assets and keeps Boston in position to remain a big-name trade threat. 

I thought the protection on this pick was better than this.  Let's say they draft in the top 6 next year, that picks then becomes unprotected for 2021.  I would bet against Memphis being that bad to where that pick is that high in 2021.  So, the best case is probably the 7th pick next year,  I don't see how that is a jewel of an asset?

I thought that Memphis pick was like top 2 or 3 protected until last night.

#170 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

I'm just delighted that i can now root for Zion without feeling bad. 

Also, Cam Johnson!!!!

@beginthebegin71

#171 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

I'm just delighted that i can now root for Zion without feeling bad. 

Also, Cam Johnson!!!!

Such an overdraft but good for him.

Heard today that he is the oldest lottery pick since 2009....Tyler Hansborough

#172 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

I don't watch college basketball anymore, but after reading and listening to a bunch of stuff from various draft nerds, and using my knowledge of the NBA, I put together my winners and losers of the draft.

Top 4 Winners

New Orleans: Zion is one of the best prospects of the 21st century. I didn't love them trading down from 4, but I like Hayes as a high level rim running center that can protect the rim, and I think Nickeal is a solid prospect for the 17th pick that gives them some shooting.

Memphis: Got two of the very best prospects in this draft despite only having one pick in the top 20. They now have one of the best under 22 cores in the NBA. Konchar also looks like a great get among the undrafted guys

Cleveland: Garland is an elite shooter and they got a lot of value with their two picks at the end of the first.

Denver: Bol Bol may never be healthy or good, but the upside seems extremely high for a second round pick.

Top 3 Losers

New York: Obviously a lot of people are high on RJ, but it seems like he's very unlikely to be one of the top two ball dominant players in a championship contender, and he doesn't profile as a complimentary piece. Unless he greatly improves his offensive skills, he might be Wiggins 2.0, but better rebounding. He could be a good off the bench scorer type.

Washington: Rui has some upside, but in all likelihood, he will be a very low IQ player on both sides, a poor defender, and not good enough of a scorer to make up for all that.

Boston: Grant was a good get, but overall this was a poor use of a decent collection of picks.

#173 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

Phoenix was the biggest loser of the night and I don’t it’s close.

#174 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:03 AM

Phoenix was the biggest loser of the night and I don’t it’s close.

They were in consideration, but Jerome was a solid pick and while Johnson if far from an inspirational pick, he should be decent.

#175 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:45 AM

They were in consideration, but Jerome was a solid pick and while Johnson if far from an inspirational pick, he should be decent.

I like Jerome but stay at 6, take a higher upside guy and don’t trade down for nothing.

Knicks did infinitely better...it’s not close.

#176 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

I like Jerome but stay at 6, take a higher upside guy and don’t trade down for nothing.

Knicks did infinitely better...it’s not close.

Well that depends on RJ, whom we obviously disagree on.

#177 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

Well that depends on RJ, whom we obviously disagree on.

He was the obvious and clear selection. There was no other decision to make there.

And he's going to be really good.

#178 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

He was the obvious and clear selection. There was no other decision to make there.

And he's going to be really good.

I doubt it, but it's possible.

#179 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

Here's a good article on why I'm not high on RJ.

“Why I’m out on R.J. Barrett as an elite NBA prospect” by Brandon Anderson https://link.medium.com/pTltfOqlJX

#180 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

I doubt it, but it's possible.

LOL...I would love to see the analysis from your people that you are putting everything on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=