#81 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I wonder if our boy Adam was one of the complainers to the TV station there? I mean, if I were him, I'd be pissed too that at being forced to watch the Jags/Raiders instead of the Broncos/Giants.

I can say that 100% due to the Redzone, I didn't have to complain. If I didn't get that, though, I would have been furious. The team is embarrassingly bad. There is enough of a fan base that the TV station would have gotten plenty of complaints if they didn't show the game as well, so kind of just a lose/lose situation for them. 

From everything I've learned while down here, the Jags will always be second to SEC football, primarily to the University of Florida. However, during the franchises' successful years, from what I'm told the city embraced them. Now, everyone is almost getting to the point similar to where a lot of the Orioles fanbase was a couple years ago, in that you have a team that's just such a joke in multiple ways that they're not worth caring about. And, unlike the Orioles fanbase, everyone down here has an excellent alternative in the best college football conference in the country. You don't need to worry about Jags fans all over the place in bars on Sundays, but look out if you're trying to get a seat on a Saturday while UF is playing (and probably just stay at home if you don't also love UF). 

Tebow almost definitely isn't the answer, but whatever small chance he has at success, it's still higher than Henne and Gabbert. Plus, if he does what is expected and tanks, at least that issue can be put to bed. They truly are a mess of a franchise right now, though.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@AdamWolff

#82 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

They had a lot of positives in their early years as an organization. It's a shame they were not able to build on it. Without the right leadership in place, it is often very difficult to escape a cycle of losing.

It was amazing to me how much success they and CAR had so early. I guess it's a bi-product of free agency, expansion drafts, good coaching and parity in the NFL though.

@JeremyMStrain

#83 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Yeah I was thinking the Heat were probably doing the best out of all of them (superteam aside, I don't think they were bottom of the NBA in att. when they were bad either). Orlando didn't draw at all when they were bad, the Dolphins can't give away tickets (our best friends' dad lives in MIA and bought season tix just cause they were so cheap and he is a big NFL fan). The Marlins and Rays still can't draw even when they win. Don't even get me started on hockey.

I think the lower middle class that makes up a big chunk of the state combined with all the retirees aren't going to buy tix, which doesn't leave a whole lot of market to split up with so many teams.

I think things might be different in Miami at the new ballpark if they won. The Dolphins aren't exactly a problem in the NFL. I think the NFL likes to have the Miami presence, but they need those upgrades to have another SB.

@levineps

#84 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

They had a lot of positives in their early years as an organization. It's a shame they were not able to build on it. Without the right leadership in place, it is often very difficult to escape a cycle of losing.

A lot of hindsight even if it was the wrong move at the time. If they had kept it going in Jacksonville, we're not talking about this. As much as people want to deny this, the on-field product matters. There's always LA (or London).

@levineps

#85 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

I think things might be different in Miami at the new ballpark if they won. The Dolphins aren't exactly a problem in the NFL. I think the NFL likes to have the Miami presence, but they need those upgrades to have another SB.

I don't know, if I recall even in their WS years they didn't draw that well. They just can't get commitment from the fan base because Loria is as likely to trade away the entire team mid-season as he is to sign the best 4 FA on the market. Would you want to commit to a season of tickets with that hanging over your head?

Just with so much parity and you can go from worst to first any given year, I find it crazy that Miami can't sell tickets. Our friends' dad says it's just not that much of a FB town.

@JeremyMStrain

#86 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I don't know, if I recall even in their WS years they didn't draw that well. They just can't get commitment from the fan base because Loria is as likely to trade away the entire team mid-season as he is to sign the best 4 FA on the market. Would you want to commit to a season of tickets with that hanging over your head?

Just with so much parity and you can go from worst to first any given year, I find it crazy that Miami can't sell tickets. Our friends' dad says it's just not that much of a FB town.

Those were quick fixes, which weren't ever designed to be sustainable. They won as the WC both times. They got a nice bump last year with the new stadium, but all the goodwill is gone from the offseason moves.

@levineps

#87 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Those were quick fixes, which weren't ever designed to be sustainable. They won as the WC both times. They got a nice bump last year with the new stadium, but all the goodwill is gone from the offseason moves.

He's just shown 3 different times now that he will gut the team at a moment's notice, I wouldn't want to commit anything to a team you think could be a winner when he could just yank it away at anytime. I don't think they do any better there until someone else owns that team and shows a commitment to the fans.

@JeremyMStrain

#88 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

He's just shown 3 different times now that he will gut the team at a moment's notice, I wouldn't want to commit anything to a team you think could be a winner when he could just yank it away at anytime. I don't think they do any better there until someone else owns that team and shows a commitment to the fans.

Yeah that's a fair statement, but that's more on him than the city. How many cities would a Jeff Loria owned team do well in?

@levineps

#89 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Yeah that's a fair statement, but that's more on him than the city. How many cities would a Jeff Loria owned team do well in?

Prague?

@JeremyMStrain

#90 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'd rather have Tebow than Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, and maybe even Freeman.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#91 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Prague?

I was only going after baseball!

@levineps

#92 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Not to mention the city got killed for that Marlins stadium. Over a billion dollars of taxpayer money for a stadium that no one really wanted besides Loria. So thats a 4th time he's screwed the fans and it was probably the worst of them all.

That likely means no new stadium for the Dolphins in the near future, if ever.

I think in 20 years you could possibly see no MLB baseball or NFL football in Florida.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#93 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Not to mention the city got killed for that Marlins stadium. Over a billion dollars of taxpayer money for a stadium that no one really wanted besides Loria. So thats a 4th time he's screwed the fans and it was probably the worst of them all.

That likely means no new stadium for the Dolphins in the near future, if ever.

I think in 20 years you could possibly see no MLB baseball or NFL football in Florida.

More likely football... tell me what baseball markets they'll relocate to? It's a lot harder than football in terms of finding a suitable venue even as a temporary facility, good media market, getting decent attendance through an 81-game season, corporate support, etc.

@levineps

#94 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'd rather have Tebow than Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, and maybe even Freeman.

For what, pope?

Because he obviously isn't as good of a QB as any of those guys.  Gabbert and Ponder flat out suck, but they're still better than Tebow in the NFL game.  By a landslide.

#95 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

For what, pope?

You've just nailed why he doesn't have a job.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#96 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

You've just nailed why he doesn't have a job.

You really think so?

#97 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

For what, pope?

Because he obviously isn't as good of a QB as any of those guys.  Gabbert and Ponder flat out suck, but they're still better than Tebow in the NFL game.  By a landslide.

Gabbert and Ponder would give their nuts to win a playoff game.

I agree with the overall point, Tebow is not a good QB but this is more about satisfying fans than winning games.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#98 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

You really think so?

Yes, 100%.   You don't think he's good enough to make someone's practice squad?  Teams don't want the controversy generated by Tebow from guys who make "pope" comments about him on message boards.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#99 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

For what, pope?

The only way I'm taking Gabbert over Tebow is if they're trying to throw a football through a tire swing. They both suck, no doubt, but Tebow at least has some of the intangibles that are present in winning quarterbacks. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

@AdamWolff

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yes, 100%.   You don't think he's good enough to make someone's practice squad?

I personally don't... he's just terrible, and isn't open to changing positions, so that's on him. He never should have been drafted, much less as high as he was. If anything, his faith and image is probably the biggest reason he sells jersey's and has been an attraction to teams up until it became overly abundantly clear he couldn't hack it. I do realize his faith has been a huge lightning rod though, and maybe some teams don't want the distraction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=