405 replies to this topic

#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

So, back to the point of the article... does anybody have even a sensible guess about why in the hell the city of Jacksonville would do this?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

I think we can all agree that Irsay was jerk, do you think he would've moved like Modell, if the team was still selling out in the end?

I think DJ MC gave a great answer to this.

But here's my answer: YES.

Irsay was so reviled in Baltimore, and he knew it, that he was eager to get out. He also wanted a new stadium enough that if he didn't hear exactly what he wanted from William Donald Schaeffer, he (and his inflated ego) were going to hear it from other cities. Baltimore NEVER said no to a new stadium for the Colts. They said they would consider it and began working on how to make it work. It was neither quick enough nor flattering enough for Irsay to shut his mouth. So he publicly denied he was shopping the team, and continued meeting with reps from other cities.

He was going to move the team pretty much under any circumstances that didn't acknowledge him as a supreme being and give him all the adoration he thought he deserved. Sellouts were peanuts to him.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#43 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

So, back to the point of the article... does anybody have even a sensible guess about why in the hell the city of Jacksonville would do this?

Two things:

1. The city of Jacksonville is due a huge payment if the Jags default on their lease. It's somewhere between $30-40M, so as to discourage the team from moving to another city. In this case, accusing them of defaulting would trigger the payment and more or less force the team to move. It's a terrible PR move and a great move economically.

2. That having been said, it was a dumb move, and the lawyer who sent the letter is in big trouble. The city has already backtracked and withdrawn it's claim of default, but the relationship between the city and the team has suffered irreparable damage.

Also, Roger Goodell sent out a memo to NFL teams this weekend, outlining the regulations on teams that are considering a move to LA. This indicates that there is a legit possibility of it happening for 2013, and Khan and the Jaguars are probably paying close attention. Much as he doesn't want to move the team, he's not going to pass on a golden opportunity if it becomes available.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

http://profootballta... ... ple-games/

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/20/report-jags-heading-to-london-for-multiple-games/

American football in London is stupid.

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

American football in London is stupid.

They've been doing well with the attendance as far as I'm concerned, just keep the teams that can't sell out hosting. It's one more game that can be televised.
@levineps

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

It makes sense. JAX fans wont miss a home game. This gives them more time to root for Tebow and the Gators.

The proximity to the east coast is the biggest convenience. St. Louis had to fly 3 extra hours to go to London.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

ESPN Maurice Jones-Drew ends holdout

http://espn.go.com/n...-holdout-sunday

Probably best for him to "cut his losses" as his tactics didn't work. If the team is winning without him, it would even look worse from his standpoint.
@levineps

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

ESPN Maurice Jones-Drew ends holdout

http://espn.go.com/n...-holdout-sunday

Probably best for him to "cut his losses" as his tactics didn't work. If the team is winning without him, it would even look worse from his standpoint.

Good for the Jags to hold firm. Drew has 2 years left on his contract. They knew he was going to cave. He waited until it was time for the game checks to start.
@mikeghg

#50 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Smart move by the Jags to not cave and glad MJD didn't get too stubborn with this. Being down here, I have to say I've become a little partial to the Jags. I'm interested to see if Gabbert can improve with his improved group of WR.

@AdamWolff

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

ESPN: Shad Khan will wait to make changes

http://espn.go.com/n...-jerk-reactions
@levineps

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

http://profootballta... ... elusional/

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/khan-warns-jaguars-fans-to-not-be-delusional/

Seems strange to see an owner say that these days, but if I'm being honest, I think it's a positive that he's leveling and being honest with his fan base.

#54 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Seems strange to see an owner say that these days, but if I'm being honest, I think it's a positive that he's leveling and being honest with his fan base.

"Please, please, be patient", said Mike Mularkey, just as the Jags were firing him after one season of coaching the team.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#55 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

New Jaguars logo-

Posted Image

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

New Jaguars logo-

Posted Image

Trying to steal the Ravens thunder?
@levineps

#57 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#58 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Do you like the logo better, Sammy?

#59 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Do you like the logo better, Sammy?

I do, I think it's a nice improvement. That being said, I imagine the logo will be changed to something more like this once they move to Los Angeles ;)

Posted Image
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#60 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

One thing that is really bothering me is the teal nose. Just make it black!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=