22 replies to this topic

#21 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

@Pedro Soccer has far more concussions, but football is the one taking the greater heat and you don't see 1,000s of x football players going crazy as the media would have you to believe.

While concussions are an issue, CTE is the far bigger concern.

I played football when I was a kid.  I have 2 sons ages 10 and 11 and won't let either of them play.  There's just too much evidence that it's not good for the noggin, particularly among developing brains (young kids).  Soccer has taken the steps of removing headers from the game up until age 12/13, but there's not much you can do to take the head contact out of youth football.  I hope you're right and that in a few years we find out that it was all much ado about nothing, but for now the risk isn't worth the reward for my kids at least.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

They are going to find ways to help dramatically reduce the long and short term effects of concussions. They are already finding that a CBD based solution is working wonders. I think technology and medicine will outpace the public hysteria over this, and football will be fine.

https://www.google.c...article/511508/

https://www.google.c.../4001532013683/

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

I find it hilarious that anyone truly believes that any kid who wanted to "sit around and play on their phone" was playing football--at any point, really, let alone in recent years. Hell, high-school sports as a whole are seeing participation INCREASE, and not just through adding girls' teams.

https://www.nfhs.org...nsecutive-year/

This is about an increasing number of people seeing the danger inherent in the sport and not being willing to put themselves at that level of risk. Especially since if you want the leadership or coaching or camaraderie aspects there are plenty of other options from which to choose.

Soccer has far more concussions, but football is the one taking the greater heat and you don't see 1,000s of x football players going crazy as the media would have you to believe.

When has anyone in the media said that "[thousands] of [ex-]football players" are "going crazy"? They report what comes out, which is that several high-profile players have committed suicide or otherwise died in tragic fashion or one sort or another, that in multiple cases where tests were performed the players were shown to have traumatic brain injuries, and that, as best as can be seen in our current state of medicine, the primary way to receive that particular level of trauma is by repeated impacts to the head over a long period of time.

There already has been one study of a limited population that suggested this is less prevalent than is often presented, but that goes against the limited but larger amount of evidence that this is a serious risk. Since the medical community is only in the beginning of setting up long-term studies, we can only go on what we can see right now, and if people don't want to take that risk, large or small, the only cowards involved are those going on the attack.

@Pedro Soccer has far more concussions, but football is the one taking the greater heat and you don't see 1,000s of x football players going crazy as the media would have you to believe.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=