Bladensburg Cancels 2018 Football Season

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

Bladensburg's football had more players than some of the teams it was going to play this year and the still canceled! I don't get it!

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,988 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:31 AM

Washington Post: Bladensburg becomes third local school to cancel its varsity football season

#3 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

I saw the article, but Largo, Northwestern, Douglass, Central and Friendly are all dealing with the same issue, but some how they manage to put a team together teams, shot Douglass won with only 23 kids on their team this past Friday.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,988 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:52 AM

I saw the article, but Largo, Northwestern, Douglass, Central and Friendly are all dealing with the same issue, but some how they manage to put a team together teams, shot Douglass won with only 23 kids on their team this past Friday.

Was just adding for further background.

#5 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

I'm starting to really worry that tackle football is coming to an end sooner than we think.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

I'm starting to really worry that tackle football is coming to an end sooner than we think.

That's the impression I've got too. I heard it was really going to be a focus state wide to get rid of it in the next year or two.

I mean what do they do though? Switch it to flag football for HS and have them wear pads and have contact for the first time in College?

And where do you draw that line? You doing that to Lacrosse too?

@JeremyMStrain

#7 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

1st they stated that is was concussions, but then I saw the reports that there are far more concussions in soccer. Next thing you know there will be far more overweight young kids, because all they do is sit around watching their phones and playing video games.

#8 SaintBull

SaintBull
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:05 AM

I say that to people all the time and they always think I'm crazy.  Glad to see there are others that feel that way.

#9 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:11 AM

Bladensburg High School is the 1st I can remember to fold with a mostly black population. They have feeder programs that play well, I guess kids just lose their feel for it at 14yrs in that area.

#10 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

I said 10 years ago that the NFL as we know it wouldn't be around in 30.  So I've got 20 years to go still.

I'm probably wrong on that and it was a bit too aggressive, but I doubt the sport of football as we know it lasts most of our lifetimes (assuming normal life expectancy of course).

#11 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Its the mentality of the kids who just don't want the hard work, and would rather play video games or skateboard, and some parents who worry about head injury possibility.

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#12 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:53 PM

@TSMarine    I'm with you on this one! Everybody wants the easy way out.

#13 oldballcoach

oldballcoach

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

I really think it will survive but it’s going to be under attack constantly because for whatever reason there are certain people who despise the sport

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:14 PM

It’s an incredibly dangerous sport, especially if your brain is still developing.

Don’t blame anyone or anyone’s parents for not wanting to participate.
  • BobPhelan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#15 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

@Pedro Soccer has far more concussions, but football is the one taking the greater heat and you don't see 1,000s of x football players going crazy as the media would have you to believe.

#16 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:27 PM

Check with alot of ex nfl players and they will tell you they dont want their kids playing football

#17 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

@JBMAD What's can we put in footballs place, since soccer has never really taken a hold and baseball is way to slow. Flag football would be the next thing, but it cuts out heavier kids.

#18 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:04 PM

Not saying i agree with football going away, just think coaches at the younger levels thru high school need to get back to teaching the proper techniques when it comes to tackling. Kids and coaches are looking for that big hit that usually involves a player using his helmet as a weapon

#19 bob12345

bob12345
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:40 PM

HS sports participation is at all-time highs. The percentage of high school students playing HS sports is at all time highs. There are only two sports at the HS level seeing declines (wrestling and football). The rest are seeing impressive increases. 

People don't want to wrestle because its hard, they don't want to play football because its hard.

Smh, Demographic change, that is all I can say

#20 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

@bob12345 Sad to say, but I think you are correct, soon all contact sports will be gone in 50yrs. Wonder if Lacrosse will make it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=