264 replies to this topic

#41 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

Lol. I have no idea how some of you hear completely conflicting things. Not saying anyone is making anything up. I guess its possible there was a complete 180 in a days time.

I was caught off guard cause I didn't even know there was a rumor going around about that  :lol:

#42 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

I think the Brewers having "checked in" on Gausman is just a simple case of due diligence. Injuries have seemingly dictated, however, that they look for pitching help at the deadline. Brent Suter is already out of the year and Zach Davies reportedly suffered a setback during his rehab assignment and has been shut down again.

#43 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,646 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

Heyman:

“Most every contender has asked about Gausman but Orioles’ inclination is to keep him. Immediate interest is in finding landing spots for Brad Brach and Adam Jones, who are both free agents.“

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

If you aren’t getting the right offer, you keep him and maybe that’s what is happening. Outside of that, there is no reason to keep him.

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

Honestly what do we expect the offers to be for Gausman?  Since 2017 began he has a 92 OPS+ and has average 5.6 IP/GS.  He's a #4 starter.  He'll make about $8M next year and get a $2-4M raise from that in '20 depending on how '19 goes.  He's got two years of service left and a pedigree as a former top pick and top prospect, so maybe there is some upside other people see in him.  But for the most part he's a not-exactly-cheap back-end starter.

I don't think we get a top-100 caliber prospect for him.  I think we get a package similar to what we got for Britton.

#46 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

Lol. I have no idea how some of you hear completely conflicting things from the same source. Not saying anyone is making anything up. I guess its possible there was a complete 180 in a days time.

Roch seems to be a flip flopper.  

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

Conveniently, Nathan Eovaldi is the 2nd most similar pitcher on his comp scores on BB-Ref.  And he just got traded!  He was traded for the 15th best prospect (according to MLB.com) in a relatively weak (according to me) Boston system.  Of course Eovaldi is a straight rental and Gausman has two years of control left.  So not apples-to-apples in the regard.  But pretty spot on in terms of quality of player.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:39 AM

Admittingly, I don't know what to expect for KG.  He has a lot of service time left, which is a huge help.  

Personally, I think a lot of teams would view him as a break out candidate if you got him away from here.  Doesn't mean they would pay up for that though.  

I think you can get more than Mackus is saying because of his service time, upside and the fact that a lot of teams need a starter and not much is out there.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

Roch seems to be a flip flopper.  

I don't think so.  I think Johnny misheard him.  

#50 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

Conveniently, Nathan Eovaldi is the 2nd most similar pitcher on his comp scores on BB-Ref.  And he just got traded!  He was traded for the 15th best prospect (according to MLB.com) in a relatively weak (according to me) Boston system.  Of course Eovaldi is a straight rental and Gausman has two years of control left.  So not apples-to-apples in the regard.  But pretty spot on in terms of quality of player.

So what you are saying is Gausman isn't really that great?  I would concur and I think we would be disappointed in the trade return. 

#51 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

I don't think so.  I think Johnny misheard him.  

Yeah I guess Weird mis-heard Roch on the radio concerning Buck wanting to keep UJ.  Just saying that's two.

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:45 AM

Is our trade for Bud Norris back in '13 a reasonable comp? 

2 years of service left in both cases, Norris was 28, Gausman is 27.  Norris had pretty similar recent numbers to Gausman, ~93 ERA+ over the previous year and a half, averaging nearly 1/3 IP more IP/GS but offense was down then so maybe that was roughly the same.  Norris was having a better '13 than Gausman is having '18.

We traded LJ Hoes, Josh Hader, and a comp A pick.  In generic terms, we traded a former ok prospect while he was mid-plummet to organizational fodder status, the #37 pick, and a lottery ticket.  The pick had the most value at the time, IMO.

#53 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

Admittingly, I don't know what to expect for KG.  He has a lot of service time left, which is a huge help.  

Personally, I think a lot of teams would view him as a break out candidate if you got him away from here.  Doesn't mean they would pay up for that though.  

I think you can get more than Mackus is saying because of his service time, upside and the fact that a lot of teams need a starter and not much is out there.

Yeah you would get more just because of the service time left.  But Gaus can't hide from his record.  When we had really good teams from 2013-2016 he was a sub .500 pitcher.  Great stuff, lacking in mental toughness, can't win.  

#54 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

2 years of service left in both cases, Norris was 28, Gausman is 27.  Norris had pretty similar recent numbers to Gausman, ~93 ERA+ over the previous year and a half, averaging nearly 1/3 IP more IP/GS but offense was down then so maybe that was roughly the same.  Norris was having a better '13 than Gausman is having '18.

Oh man, I'd take that return all day.  Good comp.

#55 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:50 AM

Baltimore #Orioles center fielder Adam Jones likely will waive no-trade rights to a contender, several close to Jones say, but wants to keep door open for potential return.The #Phillies and #Indians expressing strongest interest while #SFGiantsSFGiants2018.png lurking if get financial relief

#56 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,723 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Honestly what do we expect the offers to be for Gausman?  Since 2017 began he has a 92 OPS+ and has average 5.6 IP/GS.  He's a #4 starter.  He'll make about $8M next year and get a $2-4M raise from that in '20 depending on how '19 goes.  He's got two years of service left and a pedigree as a former top pick and top prospect, so maybe there is some upside other people see in him.  But for the most part he's a not-exactly-cheap back-end starter.

I don't think we get a top-100 caliber prospect for him.  I think we get a package similar to what we got for Britton.

I think I would take that for Gausman.

Like you said he's just not very good.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

We traded LJ Hoes, Josh Hader, and a comp A pick.  In generic terms, we traded a former ok prospect while he was mid-plummet to organizational fodder status, the #37 pick, and a lottery ticket.  The pick had the most value at the time, IMO.

I don't think any trade that is 5 years is a good comp.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

Those of you saying you would take that, would you be saying you would take it if Hader flamed out?

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

I believe the Brewers will have a Comp A pick in the 2019 draft.  It won't be awarded until after the season, and I'd assume we can't make a trade for a hypothetical draft pick, but if we could...

Would you trade Gausman for the Brewers Comp A pick (assume pick #40) and whoever is your favorite prospect ranked between #20 and #30 in their system?

#60 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:58 AM

Baltimore #Orioles center fielder Adam Jones likely will waive no-trade rights to a contender, several close to Jones say, but wants to keep door open for potential return.The #Phillies and #Indians expressing strongest interest while #SFGiantsSFGiants2018.png lurking if get financial relief

Does that mean a potential return to O's next year?  I've got mixed feelings about that.  Harsh reality for AJ is that in today's market, IMO nobody will probably pay him more than we would next year.  Loyalty contract paying him for past service not for what he will produce the next 2-3 years.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=