Are both rookie WRs really locks.

#22 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

To me Siragusa, Ricard and Levine are making the team.

I think Maxx does too...not sure Bozeman is a lock and I wouldn't have Averett or Elliott as locks either just because of the depth the team has at DB although they are about 90% for me.

I guess it's a good problem to have a surplus of talent, but it's also a direct result of the draft approach of picking up extra picks.

I also think we carry one of Bradley or McLellan. Bradley might be able to ride it out on the PUP and hide there for a bit though. And McLellan may have to beat out Peanut. 

That still leaves one spot for a lot of other guys.

I don't think RG3 is going to be the guy personally. But I mention it here more because it's going to make for an interesting training camp. 

As for Averett and Elliott, I just don't think we're going to give up the draft spots. The more I've watched of Elliott the more I've liked, too. So I think he could make some noise and bump out Levine. 

I think McLellan or Peanut, Correa, and Kaufusi (and probably Nacua) all make a NFL opening day roster if they are cut. Sure that's 49-53 person type talent. But my point was that it's going to be interesting to watch because our talent/depth hasn't been at this level in some time. 

#23 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

Are both rookie WRs really locks.

When is the last time we cut a 4th or 5th round pick before the start of the season? I'd say 4th and 5th round picks are borderline locks. 

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

When is the last time we cut a 4th or 5th round pick before the start of the season? I'd say 4th and 5th round picks are borderline locks.

Def inside tracks butI could see one of them potentially playing themselves to the PS.

#25 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:04 PM

Right, lock is too strong. But in a perfect world we want THOSE guys on the roster, rather than the alternatives at the bottom of that list.

So prefer Lasley and Scott over White or Grant. But sure those guys could ultimately bump them out. 

#26 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

I sincerely doubt Scott or Lasley make it to the PS, period. 

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

I sincerely doubt Scott or Lasley make it to the PS, period.

A lot of people say that about potential roster cuts and they usually get there. Do we know a general number on how many claims are umade on other teams TC cuts

#28 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

A lot of people say that about potential roster cuts and they usually get there. Do we know a general number on how many claims are umade on other teams TC cuts

For 4th and 5th round picks...probably not a huge sample size, IMO.

3 guys cut in 2017. One was claimed. One was signed off the PS to another team. One was on the PS and stayed there (though a WR).

https://herosports.c...-mcnichols-ahah

#29 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

I also think we carry one of Bradley or McLellan. Bradley might be able to ride it out on the PUP and hide there for a bit though. And McLellan may have to beat out Peanut. 

That still leaves one spot for a lot of other guys.

I don't think RG3 is going to be the guy personally. But I mention it here more because it's going to make for an interesting training camp. 

As for Averett and Elliott, I just don't think we're going to give up the draft spots. The more I've watched of Elliott the more I've liked, too. So I think he could make some noise and bump out Levine. 

I think McLellan or Peanut, Correa, and Kaufusi (and probably Nacua) all make a NFL opening day roster if they are cut. Sure that's 49-53 person type talent. But my point was that it's going to be interesting to watch because our talent/depth hasn't been at this level in some time. 

Levine has really carved out a nice role in the defense and is a core ST guy with a pretty low cap hit. I don't think he is in any jeopardy of getting cut, maybe traded. There's just so much depth in the secondary carrying 12 DBs might be necessary, probably at the expense of a LB.

@gabefergy

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

Levine is a lock.

No idea why Ricard makes the team.

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

Nothing borderline about them.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:05 PM

Might be tough for an UDFA to make it.

#33 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:08 PM

Nothing borderline about them.

As in they are locks, or they are not locks? 

I think Lasley is a lock, FWIW. The reports from minicamp were too good. Even with a bad Training Camp, someone will take a flyer on him.

#34 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

Levine is a lock.

No idea why Ricard makes the team.

Ricard was a really effective blocker last year and you would think he only gets better the more xp he has. In Roman's run scheme it's important to show a number of different looks and having an H-back/FB like Ricard goes a long way to getting the most he can out of it.

If it's a toss up between a 4th TE and a proven FB with position versatility it's an easy decision for me.

@gabefergy

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

As in they are locks, or they are not locks?

I think Lasley is a lock, FWIW. The reports from minicamp were too good. Even with a bad Training Camp, someone will take a flyer on him.

They are locks

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Ricard was a really effective blocker last year and you would think he only gets better the more xp he has. In Roman's run scheme it's important to show a number of different looks and having an H-back/FB like Ricard goes a long way to getting the most he can out of it.

If it's a toss up between a 4th TE and a proven FB with position versatility it's an easy decision for me.

He’s not as good a blocker as Boyle is. No need to have both when you have the need/talent in other spots.

#37 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

He’s not as good a blocker as Boyle is. No need to have both when you have the need/talent in other spots.

They play different positions, but he is probably just as good as Boyle if not better.

@gabefergy

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

They play different positions, but he is probably just as good as Boyle if not better.

Totally disagree..the running game was better when Boyle was in and when he didn’t play, there was a noticeable difference when he was out.

Ricard is a dime a dozen player. They got creative to keep him on the roster but if he is able to provide pass rush, he’s no help to us.

#39 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

Totally disagree..the running game was better when Boyle was in and when he didn’t play, there was a noticeable difference when he was out.

Ricard is a dime a dozen player. They got creative to keep him on the roster but if he is able to provide pass rush, he’s no help to us.

He was highest graded FB last year...maybe FB is a replacable position but so is a blocking TE. Ricard at least can line up at DE/DT if needed in a pinch and he showed he can catch the ball too.

@gabefergy

#40 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

What I am saying is he is very certainly making the team

@gabefergy

1 user(s) are reading this topic