Photo

Balt Sun: Schmuck: Some are whispering about Orioles' future in Baltimore, but would they ever leave?

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

Balt Sun: Schmuck: Some are whispering about Orioles' future in Baltimore, but would they ever leave?

Headline is clickbate, article was good.

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,823 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

I'm not even sure what the point of the article was other than click-bate on the headlines.

If the Angelos family has any concern about the financial viability of the Orioles, name the selling price and I'll put together a group to buy it.

Feels like there's a lot of bad (poorly framed) information in there too.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

Headline is clickbate, article was good.

I stopped reading at, "Hey, this team is making us remember 1988, and we know what ELSE happened in the 1980s!"

Yeah, Pete, you probably went through a Wham! phase, too. But I don't think we have to worry about that right now, either  :roll:

The discussion is worth having. The timing and the article itself are crap.

@DJ_McCann

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:36 AM

I stopped reading at, "Hey, this team is making us remember 1988, and we know what ELSE happened in the 1980s!"

Yeah, Pete, you probably went through a Wham! phase, too. But I don't think we have to worry about that right now, either  :roll:

The discussion is worth having. The timing and the article itself are crap.

Article was fine.

There are people on the fringe who mention the O's leaving as a possibility.

Schmuck addressed those rumors, pointed out why it doesn't really have legs..... while also acknowledging that from Ownership on down, now is a time of transition for the organization.

Appreciated that he again pointed out the impact the Nationals have had on the O's overall.

Agree with him that if there was to be any real wild card in regards to the O's future, it's tied to the MLB arbitration panel.... but that even if that happened, that losing the O's would still be a super long-shot.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

Article was fine.

There are people on the fringe who mention the O's leaving as a possibility.

Schmuck addressed those rumors, pointed out why it doesn't really have legs..... while also acknowledging that from Ownership on down, now is a time of transition for the organization.

Appreciated that he again pointed out the impact the Nationals have had on the O's overall.

Agree with him that if there was to be any real wild card in regards to the O's future, it's tied to the MLB arbitration panel.... but that even if that happened, that losing the O's would still be a super long-shot.

There are ALWAYS people making that claim, though. And there is ALWAYS validity to it. But writing this article now and framing it the way Schmuck did isn't going to do anything wothwhile. Either people will see it as clickbait and ignore it (the right choice), or they will create a call-in show frenzy of "OMG the Orioles are leaving!" "No, don't be stupid" conversations that will also be meaningless.

@DJ_McCann

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

There are ALWAYS people making that claim, though. And there is ALWAYS validity to it. But writing this article now and framing it the way Schmuck did isn't going to do anything wothwhile. Either people will see it as clickbait and ignore it (the right choice), or they will create a call-in show frenzy of "OMG the Orioles are leaving!" "No, don't be stupid" conversations that will also be meaningless.

Fair enough. Seems like sometimes you have to address the fringe though.

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

I'd be heartbroken if they left that's for sure.

Although if they left and we were able to get an expansion franchise and start over...I could be talked into that.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,823 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

Actually, I think that's probably the most disingenuous part about it.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

Between the years of 2000 - 2005, I would have fanatically cheered, if it was announced that the O's were leaving town. I would have helped them pack. Because Baltimore is an avid baseball city, and another team would have been here pretty quickly, probably the Expos. If relocation was announced today, my response would be, "whatever". Here's why. Now that the Nats are a solid fixture in DC, I don't think MLB would award an expansion or relocation team to Baltimore. They would simply play the waiting game, like the NFL did after the Colts left. 

Even if MLB waited out former O's fans, and found that they weren't migrating their money to DC, they would probably still be hesitant to place a team so close. The Learners would fight it. It would take a long time, if ever. My guess is that they would rename OPACY to NPACY, and have the Nats play some home games up here.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

Well, thanks for that weird-O. I just threw up a little at the thought. Nats fans would certainly enjoy that turn of events. I cant even imagine.

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Actually, I think that's probably the most disingenuous part about it.

The Nats clearly hurt the O's, but Angelos did seem to go out of his way to make sure the impact was as big as possible.

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

Seems an appropriate time to say F DC sports teams.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

Well, thanks for that weird-O. I just threw up a little at the thought. Nats fans would certainly enjoy that turn of events. I cant even imagine.

I'm with you. It would be a slap in our collective face. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

I'd be heartbroken if they left that's for sure.

Although if they left and we were able to get an expansion franchise and start over...I could be talked into that.

I don't think the Orioles are going anywhere, but for those counting on an expansion franchise, need to research all the dirty politics that went into the NFL practice.

I know, different sport, different time but greed is never ending.  I would not count on it.

@mikeghg

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

I usually like Schmucks work, but this was not one of his finest efforts.

I had to check to make sure this was not written by someone like Preston.

@mikeghg

#16 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

Seems an appropriate time to say F DC sports teams.

Preach

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,723 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

I don't think the Orioles are going anywhere, but for those counting on an expansion franchise, need to research all the dirty politics that went into the NFL practice.

I know, different sport, different time but greed is never ending.  I would not count on it.

I don’t think MLB would let one of its crown jewel stadiums sit empty for long.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,823 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

The Nats clearly hurt the O's, but Angelos did seem to go out of his way to make sure the impact was as big as possible.

How so.  Happy to discuss it.

The Orioles hurt the Orioles, the Nationals actually generate more revenue for the Orioles.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

How so.  Happy to discuss it.

The Orioles hurt the Orioles, the Nationals actually generate more revenue for the Orioles.

You're arguing the existence of the Nationals... and their relationship with MASN creates more money for the O's...  then the O's would have generated with their own RSN (without the Nationals) and not losing 1/3 of their single game tickets, and season ticket sales?

#20 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

The O's hurt the O's, and the Nats hurt the O's.  Both can be true.  The Nats affected attendance, and forced the O's to share their TV market.

And if the O's lose the MASN lawsuit (which is likely) then I think it's going to be even harder to argue that the Nats have had no effect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=