#21 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

Trying to figure out life.

Not sure what I want to do or where I want to be anymore. There are a bunch of things I should be doing (or trying to do), just seem to lack the motivation right now. Letting things pass by that I shouldn't.... Under 30 is too young for a midlife crisis, right?  :lol:

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

Trying to figure out life.

Not sure what I want to do or where I want to be anymore. There are a bunch of things I should be doing (or trying to do), just seem to lack the motivation right now. Letting things pass by that I shouldn't.... Under 30 is too young for a midlife crisis, right?  :lol:

I think a mid to late 20s crisis is pretty common.

Especially after you've been working a first real job or two....   "Is this what I want to be doing?"  Then you see your peers marrying off, having kids...

Sometimes finding the motivation to change can be difficult when you are in the middle of living / working day-to-day.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

I will say this...don't let yourself get "too old" before you make a change.  It will be a hell of a lot better for you in your 30s and beyond if you make the sacrifices now.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

Life is good. I'm turning the corner, have lost weight, and for the 3rd month running am in the 8th percentile of men who use Samsung Health (tracking) in overall activity in steps. While the weight loss is becoming significant and is certainly nice, the real motivation and payoff has been my mental health. I simply cannot express enough how for those with mental health issues, particularly circumstantial issues, how important an active lifestyle is. Downtime and time to yourself is enemy #1. It breaks cycles of anxiety/worry loops. It grounds you. It makes you feel better, and provides mental clairvoyance. One key is not putting earbuds in, but instead taking in nature, the sounds, sights, animals, etc. That is PROVEN to cause a reaction in the brain producing more seratonin, dopamine and endorphins. This not only provides immediate relief of symptoms (Every. Freaking. Time.), but it also has lasting effects and empowers you to gain strength and endurance (mentally).

Despite all I've been dealing with, I've managed to do well at work. Huge opportunity coming as I am putting the finishing touches on a Relationship Sales program. I am copyrighting it, and this very likely will lead to a VP/Executive position in another 2 or 3 years. In addition, I'm pursuing my Six Sigma and CPLP (basically a Master's for the Training and Dev. Industry). So things are well.
  • BSLChrisStoner, The Epic, Nigel Tufnel and 2 others like this

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

The 30’s were the best years so far so don’t freak over the age. It’s Not over yet but almost. Also helped that the Orioles were good again for much of them. As for life, just do what you love, what your instincts say. A lot of times we make it harder than it needs to be.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

Life is good. I'm turning the corner, have lost weight, and for the 3rd month running am in the 8th percentile of men who use Samsung Health (tracking) in overall activity in steps. While the weight loss is becoming significant and is certainly nice, the real motivation and payoff has been my mental health. I simply cannot express enough how for those with mental health issues, particularly circumstantial issues, how important an active lifestyle is. Downtime and time to yourself is enemy #1. It breaks cycles of anxiety/worry loops. It grounds you. It makes you feel better, and provides mental clairvoyance. One key is not putting earbuds in, but instead taking in nature, the sounds, sights, animals, etc. That is PROVEN to cause a reaction in the brain producing more seratonin, dopamine and endorphins. This not only provides immediate relief of symptoms (Every. Freaking. Time.), but it also has lasting effects and empowers you to gain strength and endurance (mentally).

Despite all I've been dealing with, I've managed to do well at work. Huge opportunity coming as I am putting the finishing touches on a Relationship Sales program. I am copyrighting it, and this very likely will lead to a VP/Executive position in another 2 or 3 years. In addition, I'm pursuing my Six Sigma and CPLP (basically a Master's for the Training and Dev. Industry). So things are well.

Congrats on finding something which works for you... complete agreement in the idea that being active, exercise, releasing that dopamine, endorphins etc is huge for your overall mental  health.

Awesome about the success with work!

#27 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

Feel you on the exercise. I don't feel right mentally if I don't work out.

I rededicated myself to my career beginning of last year. I've tripled my income since then. And I interviewed last week for a position which would be running an entire sales department and I think I might get it. I have a second interview tomorrow with the corporate guy. I've had a few good years, but this money would be the most consistent and highest income I've ever had. Like, I'll reach my short term financial goals in 6 months. I'm very nervous.

At the same time, I feel like I'm working way too much and life is passing me by. It's been over 4 years since I've had a vacation or even two days off in a row unless you count the week I was off for surgery.
  • BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and DJ MC like this

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

Very happy for you Russ, I know you've battled through alot too. Definitely should promise yourself a week off soon. Short or long term financial goals aren't relevant if you can't even enjoy it. You know this! Congrats and good luck on this potential next phase.
  • Russ likes this

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Busy time for me. Just a lot going on. Proposed to my longtime girlfriend in March and we’re getting married next June. There’s always something in the wedding planning process and we’ve basically just begun. Busy time at work but also starting the process of looking at other jobs/careers as I feel like I’m topped out at my current company so that’s been a priority as of late. And of course more short-term just feel like I’m constantly busy with dealing with that identity theft issue, feels like weddings every other week, etc etc. can’t complain though, all’s good with family, friends and all.
  • BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and DJ MC like this

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

You've been a tour guide for a long time....   were you ever interested in pursuing a Mgt position within Fan & Ticket Services?

It's cool that you have your feet in two spaces.

The short answer...no.

Being here in Philly is sort-of like when I was living on campus in College Park. I can be on my own and do what I want, but I can also go home almost any time I want. I even still take my laundry home :D (although I do it myself).

@DJ_McCann

#31 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

A friend of mine is getting divorced (so he's getting back into "playing the field" shape), so we're both hiring a personal trainer and sticking with it together. Hope that helps. 

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:33 AM

13 days into a Whole 30 diet. Fresh food for every meal, no carbs, sugar, bread, pasta or alcohol. Wife and I have done it before a few times and while it's difficult to begin, once you're in it it's not so bad. I've lost 6 pounds so far. Gained probably 10-12 over COVID so I wanna lose that. I also have a torn meniscus which I've been doing PT for, and I hope losing weight helps that out as well. As a result of the PT I now have buns of steel.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#33 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:21 PM

13 days into a Whole 30 diet. Fresh food for every meal, no carbs, sugar, bread, pasta or alcohol. Wife and I have done it before a few times and while it's difficult to begin, once you're in it it's not so bad. I've lost 6 pounds so far. Gained probably 10-12 over COVID so I wanna lose that. I also have a torn meniscus which I've been doing PT for, and I hope losing weight helps that out as well. As a result of the PT I now have buns of steel.

Not being hyperbolic when I say I do not think I could last 3 hours doing that 

she/her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=