• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

What's new in your life? What are you excited about? What are you dealing with?

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

I just signed up two new clients for web services. Plus my other regulars have been keeping me busy. I'm getting geared up for the trip to the ANWR, which is a little over a month away.

On the down side, my dog isn't doing so well. He's 13.5 years old and has had cancer in his lymph nodes for months now. It's been very slow-growing and had no noticeable affect on him at first. But then he gradually started losing weight, and a couple weeks ago looked like it might have spread to his liver....his appetite became almost non-existent and he had a yellowish skin tone. I pretty much thought it was time to have him put down. Then suddenly he got his appetite back and the yellow went away, but he hasn't really put any weight back on and he looks really frail, even though he still wants to go out and walk....just not nearly as far since as recently as a week ago. I'm getting concerned with what might happen if he's still around this time next month when I have to leave for two weeks. It's not like anyone is going to be able to reach me up there if he takes a bad turn.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

My life is good (in literally every way. Family, friends, job are all high on the list. No major changes from last year tbh), but I'm in a real funk lately, and I can't get out. 

I think it's my diet, and I really need to change it, but Jesus, I can't shake this. More veggies for me!

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

Still really struggling with Bourdain's passing. He meant a lot to me and in passing I am realizing how much...and how much he'll be missed. I've been relatively lucky to not having anyone extremely close to me pass away tragically -- and this is perhaps the hardest hit I've been by a death, celebrity or civilian.

Aside from that, same old same old. Work, beach, and maybe a home project in the near future -- gas fireplace in basement and built-ins, new TV, and small bar. Meeting with a fireplace person tomorrow at my house to get some ideas and where to start.

Sicily in September.

Life is good. Counting my blessings.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

Still really struggling with Bourdain's passing. He meant a lot to me and in passing I am realizing how much...and how much he'll be missed. I've been relatively lucky to not having anyone extremely close to me pass away tragically -- and this is perhaps the hardest hit I've been by a death, celebrity or civilian.

I've seen that sentiment a lot this weekend. I don't know if it's more of the nature of his death, or the overall impact of his life on people.

It does seem to be a fairly split thing though, between those who knew his work and are taking his death hard, and those who didn't really know who he was at all.
_____

I'm back in school this term, giving it another shot. I had some trouble towards the end of the term, and I don't know what my final grade will be, but I did some things differently than when I had trouble in the past that give me hope for the future terms.
@DJ_McCann

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

I just signed up two new clients for web services. Plus my other regulars have been keeping me busy. I'm getting geared up for the trip to the ANWR, which is a little over a month away.

On the down side, my dog isn't doing so well. He's 13.5 years old and has had cancer in his lymph nodes for months now. It's been very slow-growing and had no noticeable affect on him at first. But then he gradually started losing weight, and a couple weeks ago looked like it might have spread to his liver....his appetite became almost non-existent and he had a yellowish skin tone. I pretty much thought it was time to have him put down. Then suddenly he got his appetite back and the yellow went away, but he hasn't really put any weight back on and he looks really frail, even though he still wants to go out and walk....just not nearly as far since as recently as a week ago. I'm getting concerned with what might happen if he's still around this time next month when I have to leave for two weeks. It's not like anyone is going to be able to reach me up there if he takes a bad turn.

That's a tough situation with your dog...  feel for you there. You want his last days as comfortable as possible.  Understand the fear of not being around.  Best to you Mike.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

My life is good (in literally every way. Family, friends, job are all high on the list. No major changes from last year tbh), but I'm in a real funk lately, and I can't get out. 

I think it's my diet, and I really need to change it, but Jesus, I can't shake this. More veggies for me!

Interesting you mention diet.  Think there is a lot of truth to the idea of diet (including hydration), rest, amount of exercise, and weather and the impact that has on mood.

Let us know if those pending changes have positive impact.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

Aside from that, same old same old. Work, beach, and maybe a home project in the near future -- gas fireplace in basement and built-ins, new TV, and small bar. Meeting with a fireplace person tomorrow at my house to get some ideas and where to start.

Sicily in September.

Life is good. Counting my blessings.

I had similar thoughts last year with Petty's death.  It's rare that I give much of a passing thought to the passing of celebs, but that one got me. Every now and then you get one that resonates...  speaking for me, it was because listening to Petty's songs took me to other moments in time. Other experiences. Would imagine it's the same for you and Bourdain.

The basement project sounds cool!  Take some before and after.  If you aren't a Mackus with the DIY stuff, we (the board) might have some recommendations we can provide for the work.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

I'm back in school this term, giving it another shot. I had some trouble towards the end of the term, and I don't know what my final grade will be, but I did some things differently than when I had trouble in the past that give me hope for the future terms.

What's the end goal with school for you DJ, what are you looking to get into?

How have you enjoyed the move to Philly?

#10 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

Interesting you mention diet.  Think there is a lot of truth to the idea of diet (including hydration), rest, amount of exercise, and weather and the impact that has on mood.

Let us know if those pending changes have positive impact.

I'm taking a trip down to Ocean City this weekend, and I'm starting up after that...because dammit I'm having my Thrasher's. LOL

• BSLChrisStoner and DJ MC like this

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

I can't think of one celebrity that would hit me hard at all if they died.  I can see guys that it would suck and I would watch coverage of it..maybe read some stories about them (like I did when Gandolfini died).  

Outside of that, I can't think of anyone that it would really bother me...maybe Ripken?

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

I can't think of one celebrity that would hit me hard at all if they died.  I can see guys that it would suck and I would watch coverage of it..maybe read some stories about them (like I did when Gandolfini died).  

Outside of that, I can't think of anyone that it would really bother me...maybe Ripken?

For the most part I'm in agreement with you.  Loved Gandolfini as an actor, but that was more mild surprise and 'Damn,' vs. any real anguish.

Cobain back in the day hit some (more the shock), but I wasn't in all black in mourning for a week either.  Guess the same for Pac and Biggy.

Can't think of another (past Petty) where it 'hurt.'

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

Any actor, musician, etc...it would never really affect me that much. Not like this. I think with Bourdain it was more about the circumstances surrounding his death and just that he had become such a fixture in my life. I always had his shows to watch and look forward to for 12 years. I don't watch reality TV aside from his show, which IMO was the only reality show. He meat a lot to a lot of people for the way he showed humanity through food and travel.

I guess this is my John Lennon moment. I guess all generations have them. Believe me I never expected to be affected by it this much either.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#14 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

What's new in your life? What are you excited about? What are you dealing with?

FIGMO baby.  I'm about 20 months from retirement.  Open to suggestions on what/where is next.

@fuzydunlop

#15 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

I think the Bourdain death hit people really hard, because...it showed that, even if you defeat every demon you ever had, they're still there. They are NOT going away. 

Bourdain was a success story in every way, except in his own head. 

There's a...hopelessness to his death.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

FIGMO baby.  I'm about 20 months from retirement.  Open to suggestions on what/where is next.

Guessed what FIGMO was, but had to look up to confirm lol....

You've worked hard and had lots of different experiences.  Congrats on that pending retirement.

In-terms of what you do next....  what interests you?

Do you see yourself not working? Need a break?
Interested in volunteer type work, or a new career?

Want to settle down somewhere? Want to travel, and never be tied down to one area?

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

What's the end goal with school for you DJ, what are you looking to get into?

How have you enjoyed the move to Philly?

I like it. Philly's not THAT different from Baltimore for me to feel completely underwater, but different enough--both from Baltimore and from living in the city vs. the exurbs--to be a new and interesting experience. I like being able to walk 75% of the places where I usually need or want to go, and being able to take mass transit for most of the rest.

Besides, I'm still doing tours on weekends, and occasionally busy weekdays, so--especially this time of year--it feels like I'm in Baltimore just as much as Philly anyway.

My educational goals are a bit unclear. I have a lot of complications from my various attempts at degrees, and I still need to work out how I'm going go through with it. Plus, the combination of my work schedule and the requirements of admission (basically, I get my tuition paid-for as an employee of the university, but it limits the amount of credits I can take) makes certain programs in which I might be interested (like history, for example) off-limits.

@DJ_McCann

#18 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Guessed what FIGMO was, but had to look up to confirm lol....

You've worked hard and had lots of different experiences.  Congrats on that pending retirement.

In-terms of what you do next....  what interests you?

Do you see yourself not working? Need a break?
Interested in volunteer type work, or a new career?

Want to settle down somewhere? Want to travel, and never be tied down to one area?

Currently looking at living abroad and going back to college.  GI Bill is fantastic these days.  

@fuzydunlop

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:51 PM

I like it. Philly's not THAT different from Baltimore for me to feel completely underwater, but different enough--both from Baltimore and from living in the city vs. the exurbs--to be a new and interesting experience. I like being able to walk 75% of the places where I usually need or want to go, and being able to take mass transit for most of the rest.

Besides, I'm still doing tours on weekends, and occasionally busy weekdays, so--especially this time of year--it feels like I'm in Baltimore just as much as Philly anyway.

My educational goals are a bit unclear. I have a lot of complications from my various attempts at degrees, and I still need to work out how I'm going go through with it. Plus, the combination of my work schedule and the requirements of admission (basically, I get my tuition paid-for as an employee of the university, but it limits the amount of credits I can take) makes certain programs in which I might be interested (like history, for example) off-limits.

You've been a tour guide for a long time....   were you ever interested in pursuing a Mgt position within Fan & Ticket Services?

It's cool that you have your feet in two spaces.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Currently looking at living abroad and going back to college.  GI Bill is fantastic these days.  

Any idea of where, or what you'd like to do in school?  Sounds like that could be another interesting experience... especially seeing wherever through non-kid eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=