• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

Well we have two separate issues too. There's the holding back innings thing, and then there's the moving him up thing.

ZERO issue at all with moving him up, like you guys said, he was dominating, he should have moved up, nothing wrong with starting him low and moving him up quick if they need to.

But the innings thing, and protecting him that way, I don't see anything wrong with either. If they want to be conservative and save innings for later or just keep the innings low it's not going to HURT them.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

Well we have two separate issues too. There's the holding back innings thing, and then there's the moving him up thing.

ZERO issue at all with moving him up, like you guys said, he was dominating, he should have moved up, nothing wrong with starting him low and moving him up quick if they need to.

But the innings thing, and protecting him that way, I don't see anything wrong with either. If they want to be conservative and save innings for later or just keep the innings low it's not going to HURT them.

No one is saying he should throw 175-200 innings this year

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

No one is saying he should throw 175-200 innings this year

No but my whole original point was that they were going to limit innings for the young guys, you took issue with me calling him young and then raised the issue that he should be moved up. Two different issues.

@JeremyMStrain

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:56 AM

No but my whole original point was that they were going to limit innings for the young guys, you took issue with me calling him young and then raised the issue that he should be moved up. Two different issues.

Well he’s not a young kid.

He shouldn’t be held to some low innings limit like we will see with a guy like Grayson.

That was my point.

He can sustain a lot more than the recent HS kids.

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

He shouldn’t be held to some low innings limit like we will see with a guy like Grayson.

That was my point.

That was my point.

And then all of your arguing after that was about moving him up. So no it wasn't your point. It CAN be a point on the original argument, but you veered off.

Why can he sustain more than Grayson? How do you know how many innings Grayson threw last year? Or how their builds/arsenals compare?

MY argument is you can't just decide that on the TINY amount of knowledge we have. If they are concerned about ALL of the lower level pitchers (anyone below AA) and how many innings they throw year to year, why are we worried about it?

My point is, if this is how they choose to proceed with lower level pitching, we shouldn't care. It's not going to make or break them as a prospect, and what do you have to gain by throwing them an extra 20-30 innings at single A? I just don't think it should be an issue at all, if that's what metrics say is the best approach to them, then let them try, and we'll see in a couple years if it relates to the number of injuries we've had with pitchers.

@JeremyMStrain

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

Exceptions exist but it’s pretty obvious why a 23 y/o arm that pitched a decent amount of innings of high level college ball is able to sustain more innings than a 19 y/o a year removed from HS.

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

He threw 122 innings between college and Aberdeen last year.
He could go 140ish innings this year and it shouldn’t be an issue for an advanced college arm.
You can be careful with him but you don’t have to treat him like a china doll, high school kid.
He can be extended...fairly easily.

And btw, I didn’t immediately start talking about him being moved up...I explained this right from the get go.

Not really anything else needed to be said imo. The reasons are obvious.

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

Exceptions exist but it’s pretty obvious why a 23 y/o arm that pitched a decent amount of innings of high level college ball is able to sustain more innings than a 19 y/o a year removed from HS.

And how many innings did Grayson throw? He threw about 20 after he got drafted. We don't know what he threw his senior year of HS, it could be a lot closer than you think to Knight. So what would the difference be then? Why would the 23 year old be able to sustain more innings this year than the 19 year old if they threw just about the same amount of innings?

See my point yet?

So full season in the minors plays 140 games. 5 man rotation that's like 28 starts, not including the playoffs. If he averaged 6 innings per start that's 168 innings. Five innings per would get him to that 140 number, but then you are pulling him in the 6th in every game he plays no matter what. Is it better to do that or to skip a turn a couple times in the early season so he's got innings left going into the end of the season and playoffs?

Is it a really big deal? Would you risk the extra 20-25 innings by not doing it? If you only want him going 140, are you ok with him going 165 if that's the way things break?

It doesn't seem like a lot or a huge deal to me personally, but they may have data that wants them to cap how many innings he goes over last year. If they don't want him throwing 40 more innings, then so be it, I'm going to trust them for a while and see what happens.

@JeremyMStrain

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

No I don’t see your point.

It’s quite obvious why a 23 y/o arm could easily sustain more innings than a 19 y/o arm.

Again, there are exceptions but my guess is every team would agree the general and basic concept.

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

No I don’t see your point.

It’s quite obvious why a 23 y/o arm could easily sustain more innings than a 19 y/o arm.

Again, there are exceptions but my guess is every team would agree the general and basic concept.

Then I can't keep beating my head against a wall. Carry on.

@JeremyMStrain

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Btw, the amount of innings is only part of it.

What was your completion? How much stress did you have to put on your arm and how much could you ease off.

I’m assuming you agree that pitching in the SEC is harder than HS.

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Then I can't keep beating my head against a wall. Carry on.

Good because mine has been hurting that you don’t feel this is a common and basic thought.

To me, it’s astounding that you don’t agree with that but hey, it is what it is.

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

First not great start of the year.

5/17: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 4 K (87 pitches)

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

First not great start of the year.

5/17: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 4 K (87 pitches)

Luke Siler doesn't love him.  Talked about how his fastball isn't great...works backwards quite often.  Was saying that he likes Kremer way more because of the FB difference.

I don't know that Luke is some all knowing guy but he seems to hustle and goes out and sees these guys(reminds me of Tucker in that regards), so I respect his opinion.  Interesting thing to watch out for as he moved up.

• BobPhelan likes this

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

5 IP...only gave up 2 runs and 3 hits. But walked 2 and only struck out 2

#56 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

6/1: 6 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 4 K - 85 pitches (4.09 ERA)

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

Blah

#58 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

Blah

Cheer up SG!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#59 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

6/7: 4.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K (53 pitches) - 3.76 ERA

Came in relief of David Lebron who continues to pitch very well (5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K).
  • SportsGuy likes this

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

6/13: 5 IP, 9 H, 8 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 3 K (94 pitches) - 4.60 ERA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors