• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

I mean, it's the same reason Maryland doesn't schedule too many games against Frostburg State. The level of competition is skewed to a point beyond where it makes sense on either side.

Now, the real issue is whether the MIAA should be allowing this to happen--at least at the level that is being reported--without telling SFA to build their own football schedule.

I think this would solve a lot of the "issues." Whether that is regulating the amount of "aid" a school/coach/alumni/booster can give to a student or to allow flexibility in scheduling, something can be done. I am not going to sit here and say which is better because I frankly don't know, but it seems like the conference officials have just sat idly by until this week when it kind of blew up in their face with this story making national news.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

Baltimore Sun: St. Frances football to play national schedule this fall, issues joint statement with Calvert Hall
http://www.baltimore...-story,amp.html

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

105.7 The Fan: Biff Poggi with Scott and Jeremy

https://1057thefan.r...st-frances-miaa

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

@PressBoxOnline

.@StFrances1828 football co-head coach Henry Russell on MIAA teams: "I don't know how they can determine that playing St. Frances is more dangerous than playing Good Counsel or scrimmaging DeMatha. It just doesn't add up to me."

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

More from Deadspin:

https://deadspin.com...hous-1826643671

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

According to this Sun article, they are tentatively scheduled to play four Canadian teams this season. There's all kinds of jokes in that scenario....pick which one you like best.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

Think MIAA teams (particularly Gilman, McDonough) will add St Frances back in 19?

#28 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

McDonough was one of the leaders in getting rid of them

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

McDonough was one of the leaders in getting rid of them

Yeah, my thought was maybe by next year they will have faced enough pressure locally that they look to renew?

Guess a long shot.

#30 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Doubt it very seriously, maybe Gilman but as long as SFA is talking to kids on other teams rosters in state I don't see it happening. Heard from a reliable source they have been trying to get a MSJ player with multiple offers to come

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, my thought was maybe by next year they will have faced enough pressure locally that they look to renew?

Guess a long shot.

St. Frances through Poggi is operating at a financial level the others schools can not or do not want to get to.

I don't think you will see the other MIAA schools return St. Frances to the schedule any time soon.

@mikeghg

#32 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

St. Frances through Poggi is operating at a financial level the others schools can not or do not want to get to.

I don't think you will see the other MIAA schools return St. Frances to the schedule any time soon.

If so, those programs are hypocritical. CHC, MSJ, AS and Loyola didn’t have a problem playing Gilman and McDonogh when those two schools ramped up the arms race in the last decade. Why the concerns now?

#33 Stallion77

Stallion77
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

Everyone keeps talking about Poggi is spending big money but these other schools have groups of alumni who support their schools athletic department. These schools have way more money then St. Frances. It's laughable when I hear people say well Poggi is bankrolling them when in fact if we check how much money is brought in from alumni to these other schools St. Frances with Poggi would be at the bottom of the list.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:22 PM

Everyone keeps talking about Poggi is spending big money but these other schools have groups of alumni who support their schools athletic department. These schools have way more money then St. Frances. It's laughable when I hear people say well Poggi is bankrolling them when in fact if we check how much money is brought in from alumni to these other schools St. Frances with Poggi would be at the bottom of the list.

Yeah, I know Poggi is personally investing money....  but obviously McDonough, Gilman, Calvert Hall, Loyola are not hurting.

I live across the street from McDonough. Know not all of their students live there, but a portion do. I believe the tuition is $40k+ for those that do live on campus.

The amenities on the campus rival that of some small private colleges.

One of the arguments I'd make back to the MIAA schools which backed out, is how does what St. Frances is doing, different from what the other private schools are doing?

Yes, St. Frances is bringing high end athletic talent; but the local private high schools all go out recruiting in public middle schools. Looking for the best athletic talent they can bring on.

Then they often go back and play the public high schools, that they effectively raided talent wise.

I've never heard a public school make a claim that their kids were at a physical risk playing the private kids.

I think this boils down to $ more than anything.  The elite private schools don't want to be embarrassed on the field. They want to project that they are the best option.... to keep the enrollments coming in, and to keep the checks coming in from Alumni for further investments.

When their teams were getting whupped on by St. Frances, that probably wasnt good for their respective egos.

#35 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, I know Poggi is personally investing money....  but obviously McDonough, Gilman, Calvert Hall, Loyola are not hurting.

I live across the street from McDonough. Know not all of their students live there, but a portion do. I believe the tuition is $40k+ for those that do live on campus.

The amenities on the campus rival that of some small private colleges.

One of the arguments I'd make back to the MIAA schools which backed out, is how does what St. Frances is doing, different from what the other private schools are doing?

Yes, St. Frances is bringing high end athletic talent; but the local private high schools all go out recruiting in public middle schools. Looking for the best athletic talent they can bring on.

Then they often go back and play the public high schools, that they effectively raided talent wise.

I've never heard a public school make a claim that their kids were at a physical risk playing the private kids.

I think this boils down to $ more than anything.  The elite private schools don't want to be embarrassed on the field. They want to project that they are the best option.... to keep the enrollments coming in, and to keep the checks coming in from Alumni for further investments.

When their teams were getting whupped on by St. Frances, that probably wasn't good for their respective egos.

Well said!!!!

#36 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Let me ask you what private school that you know of has 20/30 guys with power 5 offers, what school has 10/15 guys offered by 1 school at the same time. I only know of 1. What school has coaches banging on kids about their school while they are already on a team roster and already have offers. Tell me how many of the transfers into SFA didn't already have offers when they were pursued. I sat at a game 2 yrs ago at CHC and listened to Messay belittle a kid who was going to go to SFA before they brought in another transfer qb behind his back, now tell me that's how high school football is supposed to be.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

Let me ask you what private school that you know of has 20/30 guys with power 5 offers, what school has 10/15 guys offered by 1 school at the same time. I only know of 1. What school has coaches banging on kids about their school while they are already on a team roster and already have offers. Tell me how many of the transfers into SFA didn't already have offers when they were pursued. I sat at a game 2 yrs ago at CHC and listened to Messay belittle a kid who was going to go to SFA before they brought in another transfer qb behind his back, now tell me that's how high school football is supposed to be.

I think that is fair. I certainly don't know any other local school churning out 25 guys with Power 5 offers.

In the larger Region, probably only DeMatha, and Good Counsel?

I do know that Gilman has been Nationally ranked multiple times.  Do know that McDonough has put numerous guys to the next level.

I just think instead of McDonough, Gilman, CHC, Loyola saying, "We can't compete...", that they should try.

I also think it's hypocritical of them to bemoan St. Frances going out and recruiting the best talent.... when all of the private schools raid public middle schools for talent.

I know that McDonough, Gilman, CHC, Loyola... hell MSJ... go to the public middle schools, (and public hs' looking for transfers) and they often belittle the public schools.  How is that different?

Are they getting the same caliber (at-least amount of) talent that St. Frances is right now? No.... 

But do you think the issue here is really that the traditional powers are afraid their kids will get hurt?  Or do you think the issue here is that the elite privates are scared that the Alumni donations might dry up if their teams get embarrassed?

#38 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

No I don't think money drying up for football is the problem. I think the problem is who the money man is is the problem. I also don't think you should throw Loyola into the same basket as they decided early on that they were taking a step back from the MIAA, giving all teams a chance to replace them on their schedules.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

No I don't think money drying up for football is the problem. I think the problem is who the money man is is the problem. I also don't think you should throw Loyola into the same basket as they decided early on that they were taking a step back from the MIAA, giving all teams a chance to replace them on their schedules.

Yeah, I'll definitely defer to you....  any knowledge I have on the local HS scene is superficial at best.  Just haven't paid attention for a long time.

Appreciate the thoughts!

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

It was mentioned to me in a PM that St. Frances uses 5th year players, essentially operating like a Prep School.

That does change the equation for me.  It's hard to match-up with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=