Photo

College Basketball 2018-19 General Talk (Virginia Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
1510 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Brett McMurphyVerified account @Brett_McMurphy
FollowFollow @Brett_McMurphy
More

ACC basketball coaches recommend NCAA tourney to expand from 68 to 72 teams, widen the lane & move 3-point line back. They do not favor changing from halves to four quarters

This........is stupid.

I'm on board with the 3 point line being NBA range. Or, NBA can move it in which might tighten up defense in their game, or Curry will shoot like 95% from 3pt land. But I really hate the ground rules being vastly different from level to level in all sports. Minor league baseballs have raised threads. Metal bats in college (which are closer to wood counterparts these days, but still). Wider hash marks on a college football field. Kicking from weird angles, throwing longer distances to get to the sidelines. 

Halves to quarters will likely be a way to squeeze 2 more commercial breaks into the game. If they do that, take away another timeout from the coaches to use. 

There are already enough teams making the tourney who don't belong. 

On a side note, my buddy came up with a tournament involving every division 1 team based on the model of some Euro Soccer tournament. I don't follow soccer but apparently its a tournament with 600+ teams from the premier leagues all the way down to I guess beer league teams of regular dudes that happen to qualify. It'd be interesting to see something massive like that as a summertime exhibition. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

NBC Sports / CBT: Wendell Carter: Duke players ‘weren’t able to show all their strengths’

NBC Sports / CBT: SEC Conference Reset: League even stronger in 2018-19

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

SI: Summer Top 25 Reset: How Draft Decisions Affect the 2018–19 Preseason Rankings

https://www.si.com/c...aft-withdrawals

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

CBS Sports: 2018-19 college basketball rankings: Kentucky adds 2 big pieces, moves to No. 1 in the Top 25 (and 1)
https://www.cbssport...e-top-25-and-1/

#25 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:14 AM

CBS Sports: 2018-19 college basketball rankings: Kentucky adds 2 big pieces, moves to No. 1 in the Top 25 (and 1)
https://www.cbssport...e-top-25-and-1/

Parrish seems excited about Carolina "finally being able to recruit like Carolina again" with the NCAA no longer hovering over the program, but damn, it's hard to argue with the success we had with 4 year guys.. 

Nassir Little and Coby White look like future stars, but be careful what you wish for as far as the one and done thing goes. I'm excited to watch these guys, but a little hesitant to embrace it if they go full one and done. We'll see. 

@beginthebegin71

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

ESPN: Impact transfer boosts Kentucky to No. 1 in Way-Too-Early Top 25
http://www.espn.com/...oo-early-top-25

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

ESPN: Biggest offseason questions for Way-Too-Early Top 25

http://www.espn.com/...ly-top-25-teams

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

CBS Sports: Calipari could be facing mounting pressure at UK

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:23 AM

CBS Sports: College basketball recruiting: Gonzaga lands grad transfer Geno Crandall to solidify Final Four chances
https://www.cbssport...l-four-chances/

#30 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

CBS Sports: College basketball recruiting: Gonzaga lands grad transfer Geno Crandall to solidify Final Four chances
https://www.cbssport...l-four-chances/

Xavier was the other player here. I really wanted him, but can't fault him at all for choosing Gonzaga.

#31 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

Maui Invitational is out and it is a loaded field:

Duke vs. San Diego State

Auburn vs. Xavier

Arizona vs. Iowa State

Gonzaga vs. Illinois

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

Duke has never lost in Maui

#33 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

https://bleacherrepo...ol-if-undrafted

This is a really, really good start. Not nearly enough, obviously, but definitely a step in the right direction.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

https://bleacherrepo...ol-if-undrafted

This is a really, really good start. Not nearly enough, obviously, but definitely a step in the right direction.

Great rule...more players will be declaring now for sure..but it won't really hurt things if they do.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Yep.  Great rule change.

I'd also like to see them give the players the right to transfer one time without sitting out a year.  Also to transfer without penalty anytime their head coach leaves (just not to the school the head coach went to).

• The Epic likes this

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

Here's what Woj is saying about the changes:

Few, if any, undrafted prospects will use that as impetus to return to college basketball. They'll chase summer league roster spots/two-way/G-League. Undrafted this year means you'll probably be undrafted or a late second-round pick next year -- and back in same precarious spot.

Few are pleased w/ NCAA's handling of release. USA Basketball and the NBA were blindsided w/ NCAA dictating USAB would decide which HS players could eventually hire agents. USAB doesn't have desire or infrastructure for those evaluations. If anyone has that expertise, it's NBA.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:41 PM

Few, if any, undrafted prospects will use that as impetus to return to college basketball.

I don't think I agree with this.  Maybe he just means that very few of the recently undrafted kids would have gone back if they had the chance.  That could be fair.  But I think many more kids will stay in the draft than do now and they'll know for sure whether they are draft-worthy or not.  Ones that don't get picked, will go back.  Basically, every kid that currently goes through the process and returns (Ex: Bruno Fernando) would instead stay in the draft and see what happens.

NCAA will need to expand this for "unsigned" kids, so if you get drafted but don't sign with the NBA team (i.e. if you are a 2nd round pick) you can go back to school as well.

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

I don't think I agree with this. Maybe he just means that very few of the recently undrafted kids would have gone back if they had the chance. That could be fair. But I think many more kids will stay in the draft than do now and they'll know for sure whether they are draft-worthy or not. Ones that don't get picked, will go back. Basically, every kid that currently goes through the process and returns (Ex: Bruno Fernando) would instead stay in the draft and see what happens.

NCAA will need to expand this for "unsigned" kids, so if you get drafted but don't sign with the NBA team (i.e. if you are a 2nd round pick) you can go back to school as well.

Maybe. I think he's right that in most cases, if someone doesn't get drafted, they aren't going to see their stock rise all that much. So at that point, playing in the G League or overseas may make more sense for many guys.

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

If the players don’t go back, that’s on them.

But the option should be there.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

If the players don’t go back, that’s on them.

But the option should be there.

I agree with the second line to be clear. This is a good change.

As for the first line, in many cases they would be better off leaving even if they don't get drafted.

Now if they aren't going to end up in the league anyway and they otherwise would get a degree, going back makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=