Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Cant wait!

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

Grantland: Board to Death HBO's Boardwalk Empire is back. And it still isn't working.
http://www.grantland...-empire-returns

#84 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Disagree with the general tone of that article.

#85 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

I, also, enjoy watching but don't particularly care about Boardwalk Empire.  The plot is typically a mess, but the production and acting are so good that it's still worth watching.  Totally agree that the periphery characters like Harrow, Chalky, Capone, and Van Alden are far more interesting than the main story line typically is.

• McNulty likes this

#86 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

I kind of agree with the article. Thompson is not a great character to base a mob series around and Buscemi isn't the best actor to be the main character in a mob series. Look at the main characters in other mob movies/TV shows: Soprano, Corleone, Hill, Montana....there were no qualms with any of them, they were perfect for their stories and perfectly cast.

There's just something off about Buscemi's Thompson. Especially since Jimmy was killed, since he balanced Thompson's fatherly influence. The show might be better now if Thompson was the one who was killed instead of Jimmy.

That said the supporting cast is great and the sets and costumes are great and the story-lines, while murky, are solid.

It's a good show, just not great -- which is what the article boiled down to.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#87 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

I kind of agree with the article. Thompson is not a great character to base a mob series around and Buscemi isn't the best actor to be the main character in a mob series. Look at the main characters in other mob movies/TV shows: Soprano, Corleone, Hill, Montana....there were no qualms with any of them, they were perfect for their stories and perfectly cast.

There's just something off about Buscemi's Thompson. Especially since Jimmy was killed, since he balanced Thompson's fatherly influence. The show might be better now if Thompson was the one who was killed instead of Jimmy.

That said the supporting cast is great and the sets and costumes are great and the story-lines, while murky, are solid.

It's a good show, just not great -- which is what the article boiled down to.

I think Buscemi does a very good job in the role...I just think you can argue that they didn't cast the role properly.

You said, there is something off about him...Maybe its his size and that is throwing things off in your mind(especially comparing him to soprano)?

He isn't intimidating at all...he wins with his intelligence and money.

#88 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Michael Corleone or Tony Montana weren't intimidating figures, physically. Yet they still had that intimidating aura. I just don't get that from Steve B.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#89 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

I miss Jimmy, he was the best.

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Very so so episode tonight IMO.

#91 TonySoprano

TonySoprano
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

Alan Sepinwall continues to be a must-read for fans of the show.  Here is his overall review of the first 5 episodes as it relates to the first 3 seasons (very mild spoilers, if any).  He says he is going to write less on the episode specific reviews, but here is what he wrote for New York Sour.  Enjoy.

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#92 TonySoprano

TonySoprano
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Very so so episode tonight IMO.

I have to say that I agree with a common theme in a few reviews I read this morning.  The show is well acted but slow moving.  It's no Sopranos or The Wire.

#93 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have to say that I agree with a common theme in a few reviews I read this morning.  The show is well acted but slow moving.  It's no Sopranos or The Wire.

Nope...I also agree with the idea that a lot of the secondary characters are more compelling than Nucky...and I don't think that is a reflection on Buscemi, who I think is a really good actor.

Its the writing.

#94 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

I agree that the show is disappointing overall. It's good, but it's clearly not a great show IMO. Some of the secondary characters are more compelling than Nucky, but some are real life guys that you know where they're heading anyway. However, some of the secondary characters are usually part of boring plot lines IMO, even if they're well acted, shot, etc. Overall, there's too many characters and the main plot often isn't compelling enough.

#95 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

I liked the first episode. Although the whole "here take this money and we are cool" scene was pretty lazy writing.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#96 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Finally got caught up on last weeks episode.  Like others have said, was kinda slow, but it wasn't bad.  I liked it.  Plus it had it's fair share of nudity (can never go wrong there) and I got a good chuckle out of the crudely-drawn sex-act, come-on drawn on the napkin. 

I'm kinda interested in seeing what the new agent, Agent Knox, is gonna do.  He's already kinda played the I'm-dumb-and-naive angle to his own interest.

Plus I can't wait to see more of Ron Livingston and Jeffrey Wright.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#97 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

The constant threat of violence makes this show compelling alone. I thought the first episode was good beside the Gretchen Mol scenes. They need to write her character off the show.

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

"You can address me as Acting Director Hoover."

#99 TonySoprano

TonySoprano
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Here is an excellent recap

http://www.nj.com/en..._episode_2.html

#100 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Jeffrey Wright playing Valentin Narcisse.  #Boss

Also I loved that second-or-2 look on Van Alden's face when he got to release some pent-up aggression/frustration.  Looked almost cathartic for him and something he could easily enjoy doing more.

Poor Harrow, becoming the monster others see him as but can't put down his own dog.  Sad stuff there all around.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=