#181 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

I was legitimately sad at the end.  It was nice the way they juxtaposed the one sin he could never redeem himself for doing with what ended up leading to his ultimate downfall.

• 1970 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#182 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

I was legitimately sad at the end.  It was nice the way they juxtaposed the one sin he could never redeem himself for doing with what ended up leading to his ultimate downfall.

Yeah. That's what gets me about Godfather II. Again, this season felt a lot like that film, in a good way. The performances of the young cast members was excellent and lent a lot to that feeling. The casting department did a great job. I think that Young Nucky should get nominated for an Emmy, Golden Globe...something.

When Nucky killed Jimmy, he said that you couldn't be a half gangster. Well, Nucky always was a half gangster. He was too good a person to become a Capone, a Luciano, or Lansky. He didn't have what it took -- which was why he handed over AC to Luciano. The flashbacks did a great job showing that side of him -- the human side that would always be a part of him.

He was someone who made a decision re: Gillian and it was a never ending slide from there.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#183 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

Yep...thats the full circle aspect.  Show you his beginnings and where everything turned..between losing his kid and GIllian, he changed and that was his downfall.

I dont know that they needed to do all of the flashbacks though...they could have had less of that and more current plot lines for me.  Some things just felt rushed.

It was a good ending though.

#184 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

Little bit of revisionist history, seeing as the real Enoch Thompson died in the late 1960's of natural casues (interestingly enough, Luciano died earlier in the decade), but still quite good.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#185 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:57 AM

I liked the finale and the entire final season and the show as a whole, but it wasn't what I would've wanted to see if someone had asked me before the season started.  I get that the showrunners wanted to have Nucky's story told and had to show us the beginning in flashbacks as well as the end in the timeline of the story, but I don't think Nucky is really what ever made the show great.  They could have wrapped his story up without devoting so much time to him and given us more of the characters that really drove the show.  Still, the choices they made still made for worthwhile TV, it just wasn't something epic, though the show never really reached those heights anyway so it's not like it was a let down.

It's always looked great, like a high budget movie, so credit from a photography standpoint, and the acting has consistently been excellent as well.  I just think the world they built and the characters (fictional and real) around Nucky were always so much more interesting than Nucky and his story, and that's what keeps the show from being an all-time great.  It was, though, a very good show and I'll miss it.

#186 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:57 AM

Little bit of revisionist history, seeing as the real Enoch Thompson died in the late 1960's of natural casues (interestingly enough, Luciano died earlier in the decade), but still quite good.

Not really.  There was no real Enoch Thompson, they deliberately changed the name of the guy he was based on (Johnson) so they weren't beholden to his history.

• fishteacher likes this

#187 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

I do agree, they should have stuck to the AC stories more. But it really only got away from that in season 4 and 5.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#188 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

I know one isn't happening, but I also would watch a spinoff of literally just about any of the secondary characters aside from Gillian or Margaret.  Any of the real-life characters could be the center of a similar show.  I'd watch the team of Eli and Van Alden make collections for years.  Hell, I'd watch a goofy after-life show with Richard Harrow acting as Death and taking out bad guys.  This show did a remarkable job of creating some really memorable characters or bringing real-life historical figures (most of which had been portrayed in TV or film before if not several times) to greater heights, they just never really delivered that sort of greatness and "can't look away" type interest with the lead character.

#189 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

I know one isn't happening, but I also would watch a spinoff of literally just about any of the secondary characters aside from Gillian or Margaret.  Any of the real-life characters could be the center of a similar show.  I'd watch the team of Eli and Van Alden make collections for years.  Hell, I'd watch a goofy after-life show with Richard Harrow acting as Death and taking out bad guys.  This show did a remarkable job of creating some really memorable characters or bringing real-life historical figures (most of which had been portrayed in TV or film before if not several times) to greater heights, they just never really delivered that sort of greatness and "can't look away" type interest with the lead character.

Cmon, you wouldn't watch a Margaret show?  Season one could be all about how she wants to build the new hospital wing!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#190 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

I just finished streaming all 5 seasons this summer TODAY, and just like all amazing shows, this one made me legitmately sad at the end...I am assuming that the kid who kills him is Jimmy's son all grown up?  I heard "Darmondy" come out of his mouth when Nucky asks him who he really is, but I wasn't sure...I was trying to go back in the timeline to when jimmy was killed....his kid was what, maybe 7 or 8 at the time?  So, this is maybe 10 years after?  I know the jump from season 4 to 5 was like 6 or 7 years after the end of 4, but overall, I really enjoyed this show, and I'm a huge Steve Buscemi fan, and I loved seeing him in a real serious role vs. a weirdo, molesting uncle-type cast that he ususally gets in a Sandler film.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#191 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

My fav show of all time. Loved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors