#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Season 3 debuts Sunday, September 16th. Who else is pumped?

I'm a little over half way through marathoning the first two seasons to refresh myself on everything. I love HBO Go.

#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Season 3 debuts Sunday, September 16th. Who else is pumped?

I'm a little over half way through marathoning the first two seasons to refresh myself on everything. I love HBO Go.

I've been really, really considering starting to watch this. Heard great things, just need to motivate myself to do that (imagine that, needing motivation to watch tv). Convince me.

Ready..set..go!

@AdamWolff

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

I cant wait.

I am also pissed when the summer is over but between football, BE and the Avengers coming out, I am more pumped for fall than usual.

BE is great...looking forward to seeing where things go and how Nucky gets over how last season ended.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

What did you all think about tonight's episode?

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Good premiere, lot's of stuff going on and they set us up right away for what should be a pretty eventful season. The put in motion the beginnings of some major warring between Capone and that Irish guy in Chicago as well as Nucky narrowing his operation.

I find that Richard Harlow and Al Capone are the only characters I really care about. I'm still interested in everything else that is going on, but their stories are really the ones I wanna follow most. It'll be real fun seeing if Harlow can keep picking off those responsible for Jimmy's death (or was he just avenging Angela and will leave at that?) in a guerrilla warfare type style.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Agreed Mackus. Definitely liked the premiere and looking forward to where this is headed. I hope Harrow ends up raising Jimmy's boy.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Michael Kenneth Williams discovered by Tupac:

http://www.hbo.com/#... ... liams.html

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

You can already see a big last few episodes coming. Doing a good job of building up a lot of things thus far.

Very solid season so far.

#9 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Gyp Rosetti is one of those characters I can't wait to watch die. He's giving Joffrey Baratheon a run for his money.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

You can already see a big last few episodes coming. Doing a good job of building up a lot of things thus far.

Very solid season so far.

Agreed, it's been very good. The storyline with his fake wife and the catholic charity needs to go though, couldn't be less interested in all of that.

Rosetti is insane. But his maneuver with the gas station was also pretty clever. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Awesome scene with Harrow and Nucky in episode 3. I just can't get enough of Harrow - what an awesome character.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Agreed, it's been very good. The storyline with his fake wife and the catholic charity needs to go though, couldn't be less interested in all of that.

Rosetti is insane. But his maneuver with the gas station was also pretty clever. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Awesome scene with Harrow and Nucky in episode 3. I just can't get enough of Harrow - what an awesome character.

Any scene with Harrow in it is a great scene. I am starting to feel the same way about Owen Slater as well. Really like his character.

I agree about the whole Margaret/Charity/land deal stuff. I don't really know where that is going unless that ends up being what brings Nucky and Margaret back together...but yea, who cares?

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

It is a very well done show, that I never particularly enjoy. Meaning I respect the level of detail and the quality of the show (it is one of the best), but I don't have any real attachment to the characters.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

It is a very well done show, that I never particularly enjoy. Meaning I respect the level of detail and the quality of the show (it is one of the best), but I don't have any real attachment to the characters.

I think I agree with this. I don't dislike the show, but it doesn't wow me, either. I think the biggest flaw of the show, and many others have said this, is that the side stories are far more interesting than the main storyline(s).

I get complacent watching Nucky, not because his character is boring or the storyline isn't good, but because I'd much rather be seeing what Harrow or Chalky or Lucciano or Capone are doing.

I agree wholeheartedly that is is a marvelously well put together show, though.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Chris and Mack - very fair points. I think that's why it's been hard for me to talk people into watching the show. It doesn't necessarily wow me either, but I love it - I think just because that time period is fascinating to me and all of the other angles of the gang/drug/alcohol trade that it peruses is very entertaining, IMO.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Spoiler post...

Well, things are moving along quite a bit at this point. Is it time to start making "Serial Killer Van Alden" references (A la Serial Kille Jesse [Plemons from Friday Night Lights] references)? I didn't see that coming. Still not sure where this storyline is heading.

They hadn't really explored Jimmy's mom and how she's "dealing" with his death yet until now... what a nut bag.

Rosetti is as crazy an MF'er as it gets. The opening, and near closing scene's were just ridic, lol. Seems like he's certainly accomplished his goal to squeeze Nucky out of the New York liquor market with some clever maneuvering. Rothstein continues to amaze me as a character, he's always incredibly intriguing, yet consistent.

I can't wait until they move on from Nucky's ex-wife's storyline. So freakin' boring and just don't care at all. Nucky's obsession with his new girl is going to end up getting him killed, not to mention his aggressive play to solve his "transportation issue".

Oh, and while it's great that HBO Shows give you a lot of very nice looking things to view from time to time, it also unfortunately brings you a dong occasionally. Not cool! Still a bad ass scene though.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Spoiler post...

Well, things are moving along quite a bit at this point. Is it time to start making "Serial Killer Van Alden" references (A la Serial Kille Jesse [Plemons from Friday Night Lights] references)? I didn't see that coming. Still not sure where this storyline is heading.

They hadn't really explored Jimmy's mom and how she's "dealing" with his death yet until now... what a nut bag.

Rosetti is as crazy an MF'er as it gets. The opening, and near closing scene's were just ridic, lol. Seems like he's certainly accomplished his goal to squeeze Nucky out of the New York liquor market with some clever maneuvering. Rothstein continues to amaze me as a character, he's always incredibly intriguing, yet consistent.

I can't wait until they move on from Nucky's ex-wife's storyline. So freakin' boring and just don't care at all. Nucky's obsession with his new girl is going to end up getting him killed, not to mention his aggressive play to solve his "transportation issue".

Oh, and while it's great that HBO Shows give you a lot of very nice looking things to view from time to time, it also unfortunately brings you a dong occasionally. Not cool! Still a bad ass scene though.

LOL yea, could certainly do without the dongs on TV.

Great episode though.

Gyp Rosetti is a great character and I think this season has the potential to really explode with a lot of different angles.

What they do with Lansky, Capone and Lucciano going forward really interests me since they are obviously huge 'real life" names.

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Jimmy's mom is so screwed up.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Jimmy's mom is so screwed up.

Yep..big time.

I thought last nights episode was the worst so far this season.

I really like the main storylines of the show but the stuff with Margaret and Jimmys mom is getting old quick...I meanm at least Jimmys mom gets naked, so that's always cool!

But the womans clinic stuff is just getting annoying and what is the point of her banging Slater again?

I understand that they have to give these characters something to do but what is the end game with the storyline of them and why spend so much time doing it?

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yep..big time.

I thought last nights episode was the worst so far this season.

I really like the main storylines of the show but the stuff with Margaret and Jimmys mom is getting old quick...I meanm at least Jimmys mom gets naked, so that's always cool!

But the womans clinic stuff is just getting annoying and what is the point of her banging Slater again?

I understand that they have to give these characters something to do but what is the end game with the storyline of them and why spend so much time doing it?

I agree that I don't care much about their storylines.

To me this is part of what separates The Wire from most of these other shows with large ensemble casts. I just about always cared about each character and storyline in that show. Shows like Boardwalk, Dexter, True Blood, etc have too much crap on the periphery of the main plot.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I agree that I don't care much about their storylines.

To me this is part of what separates The Wire from most of these other shows with large ensemble casts. I just about always cared about each character and storyline in that show. Shows like Boardwalk, Dexter, True Blood, etc have too much crap on the periphery of the main plot.

Good point. I agree.

Yeah, unless Margaret's feet are in the air, just stop showing her at all. It's gotten old for me a few episodes ago. Ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=