#41 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Sean (and others) what do you wear overseas to avoid pickpockets? I’ve heard they’re bad in Europe, especially in Paris and Florence. I may get one of those neck pouches from target or something and wear it around my neck. I’ll look like a dork but if I lose my wallet and passport, party’s over.

Also, when you need Euros do you just withdraw from an ATM? Looks like my bank (Wells Fargo) charges $5 per withdrawal, which sorta sucks.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Also, when you need Euros do you just withdraw from an ATM? Looks like my bank (Wells Fargo) charges $5 per withdrawal, which sorta sucks.

1.  Credit cards vary wildly about this... some don't charge anything... 

Big banks offer umpteen flavors of credit cards.... nose around and see if the cards that don't charge fees include a flavor your credit card bank offers... maybe you can swap over to something better....

https://thepointsguy...ansaction-fees/

https://www.moneyund...national-travel

2.  Also, rely on your credit card for spending whenever possible... you get a better conversion rate...

3.  If you are given a choice about whether you want your credit card transaction to be paid in dollars or the local currency, always pick the local currency, never pick dollars... it will save you from crazy conversion rates... credit cards don't hose you on that...

4.  For getting euros to spend, the ATM is the best way... unless your credit card screws you.... just take out enough that you're minimizing how often you use one...

5.  Be sure to call your credit card company ahead of time and let them know when you'll be there... it can save the embarrassment of having the transaction declined because they're afraid it's a bogus charge...  

6.  Ideally, you want to have both a Visa card and a Mastercard.... also, at least $100 US... because you never know...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

...who's Paris?

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

I carry enough cash for the day in my wallet and keep it in my front pocket while in a high-traffic crowded area or in a bookbag. Otherwise, I just keep it in the back pocket like normal. I had one of those pouches and as soon as I tried it on, I was like, "No. This isn't going to work." Uncomfortable and not practical.

I've ordered foreign currency from my bank before...but either way you're getting screwed on exchange rates and additional bank fees. Just one of those things you have to suck up. If you have time, get a CC that doesn't charge for international transactions and use that as much as you can. You really shouldn't need too much Euro in Paris. Everywhere accepts CC's so maybe just take out $200 when you get there and stretch it out.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Problem is don’t credit cards and banks charge a fee for an international transaction? I think my Wells Fargo card charges 3% per transaction.

@bopper33

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

Problem is don’t credit cards and banks charge a fee for an international transaction? I think my Wells Fargo card charges 3% per transaction.

So does our bank card from M&T. That's actually not that bad.

There are some CCs that don't charge them. We have a travel card that doesnt, and we rack up points and rewards when we use it while traveling.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

I think I may mostly just use cash over there. I’ll take out a large sum and use that and not stress about fees and whatnot. I have a capital one credit card that I really only use for emergencies that I’ll bring but I have no idea what sort of fees they charge.

@bopper33

#48 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

I think I may mostly just use cash over there. I’ll take out a large sum and use that and not stress about fees and whatnot. I have a capital one credit card that I really only use for emergencies that I’ll bring but I have no idea what sort of fees they charge.

Do what feels good, dude.

#49 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

I left the passport at home/hotel.  Small front pocket wallet, or a cell phone wallet.  

This one rules and I use it every day: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@fuzydunlop

#50 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

Some cards do, some cards don't. You'll have to check (if you have Wells Fargo cards they likely do).

It's harder to find a chip in pin card for over there. It makes some transactions more annoying.

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

Sad about Notre Dame Cathedral. Glad I got to go last year.

@bopper33

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 04:30 PM

My buddy is going to Paris for the Olympics and I was giving him whatever pointers I could remember from my trip.

Can’t believe it was almost six years ago. We left Memorial Day weekend 2018.

@bopper33

#53 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 12:01 PM

Man...Paris is going to be insane for the Olympics. 

I was there for two nights last summer, book-ending a trip to Greece.

I like the city but I liked other places in France much more. Lyon was great.

Overall, France is pretty far down on my list but I did love my time there.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 May 2024 - 12:48 PM

Paris is no Miami, but it's pretty great.

Kelly and I will actually be attending two Olympic soccer matches in Marseille.

Spain is the primary focus of the trip though along with 3 days in Amsterdam and a couple days in or around Dusseldorf as well.

If anyone has any Spain, south of France, Amsterdam, or Dusseldorf/Essen (and surrounding areas) advice, please share

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 03:00 PM

Where in Spain?  I'll assume heading towards Barcelona from Marseiile? Along that route, I've been to Carcasonne in France and Tossa de Mar in Spain.  Also a tiny town just to dive, but I think you have told me you don't really dive. 

Carcasonne is pretty touristy and kind of crowded, but its really cool.  There are a couple of places to book rooms inside the castle walls.  Every restaurant has cassoulet, which is super good.  I wanna dive into a bathtub of it like Roger Daltrey. Recommend.

Tossa de Mar is amazing.  We enjoyed our 3-day stay so much on the way out to France from Barcelona that we went back for 2 more days on the same trip, which we've never done before or since.  Super tiny and not touristy at all (though you can still get by with English).  Very relaxing, a big public beach that is fine but there are multiple smaller beaches which you can find that are less crowded and fun to get to.  I jumped off a 30 foot cliff at one and we hiked to another to have a picnic and saw an octopus while snorkeling.  Outside of some tiny Thai islands, this is the most relaxing place I've ever been.  Recommend as highly as I can. 

Barcelona is amazing, food is fantastic and tons of cool sites to visit like Park Guell and Sagrada Familia.  

I've never been to the Basque coast in Spain, but I really want to go.

• mweb08 likes this

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 03:03 PM

Knew this recap felt familiar...

https://forum.baltim...going/?p=678424

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 May 2024 - 03:18 PM

We will actually be going to Marseille from Spain (likely Barcelona) for what's that's worth. That will be at the end of our trip and we may do some other stuff in that area too (Saint-Tropez perhaps). We haven't booked lodging yet and we're open to different places, but it's looking like Madrid, San Sebastian, and Barcelona are locks with some other places as possibilities. So maybe Tossa de Mar. 

Also, I am into diving/snorkeling, but my wife not so much unfortunately. 

Also, has anyone been to Andorra? 

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 06:37 PM

We've been to all those places. I'll send some recs when I have some more time.

Agreed with Mackus, Tossa de Mar was amazing. 

• mweb08 likes this

#59 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 12:27 PM

San Sebastian / Bilbao - amazing cities. SS has an awesome beach area & promenade. Best food I've ever eaten. In both cities, but especially in SS, the pastime is popping into varios pinxtos places, getting a bite and a drink, and then moving onto the next place. Most tabernas have cold, pre-made snacks but each place also as their own special dish from the kitchen. In old town SS my faves are Ganbara (seasonal mushrooms w/ egg yoke), La Vina (basque cheesecake), and 148 Gastroleku (Octopus) were my favorite tabernas but you really can't go wrong anywhere. Also, Arraun was a fantastic cocktail bar. If you make it to Bilbao, I recommend Gure Toki.

Barcelona - Lots to see and do. Food was great. It's busy. I'll have to go back and look at where we went to eat.

Tossa del Mar - like Mackus said, great seaside town. Small. Super-friendly people. I think I talked with the owner of every place we went for like 20 minutes. Places we ate: La Placeta, Can Sophia, Da Giovanni, Bar Don Juan for drinks and snacks. Chatted to a waiter about the NBA for a while.

Amsterdam - Just wander around and see the sights. Anne Frank house was moving. Van Gogh Musuem was cool. Eat a pickled herring sandwich. Buy some flowers. We took a day trip to Utrecht which seemed like a smaller version of Amsterdam.

I've never been to Marseille but we did go to Cassis which isn't far away...it's a similar town to Tossa de Mar. Small Mediterranean beach town. Nice isn't too far away, and Monaco.
  • mweb08 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=