#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

So...after tweeting, emailing, calling and even driving to BWI airport I finally got a woman on the phone from WOW to rebook my flight.

Essentially she told me that our flight was cancelled for "operational reasons" and that the flight earlier that same day (leaving at 12:40 am or whatever) may also be cancelled due to operational reasons.  I asked why those flights were still up for sale on their website and she told me that "she was sure they will be cancelled" -- English wasn't her first language.

Anyway, I was rebooked for the same flight numbers, just a day earlier.  

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,956 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

If you don't want to mess with WOW air, there are nonstop flights from Newark to Paris for under $500 (Sunday to Friday like you said) in June.  Spend the weekend in NYC on either end of your trip might make getting from Baltimore to Newark not feel so obnoxious.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

If you don't want to mess with WOW air, there are nonstop flights from Newark to Paris for under $500 (Sunday to Friday like you said) in June.  Spend the weekend in NYC on either end of your trip might make getting from Baltimore to Newark not feel so obnoxious.

I'll give them one more chance.

If they screw me again I am going elsewhere.

What does "operational issues" even mean?  Sounds like they didn't sell enough seats, but the flight is still two months away. 

@bopper33

#24 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

So...after tweeting, emailing, calling and even driving to BWI airport I finally got a woman on the phone from WOW to rebook my flight.

Essentially she told me that our flight was cancelled for "operational reasons" and that the flight earlier that same day (leaving at 12:40 am or whatever) may also be cancelled due to operational reasons.  I asked why those flights were still up for sale on their website and she told me that "she was sure they will be cancelled" -- English wasn't her first language.

Anyway, I was rebooked for the same flight numbers, just a day earlier.  

What a ridiculous situation...

Sounds like their flights aren't booked enough to suit them, so they just cancel them and screw the customers...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

Looking at flying out of Newark (or JFK) for our trip to Sicily. Non-stop flights, cheaper than DC...I'd definitely prefer Newark since it's right there off the highway and we could also take the train. So this is definitely something I'd consider doing in the future.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,956 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

Sean and Pedro and anyone else who takes trips on (close to a) whim should absolutely sign yourself up for Scott's Cheap Flights.

https://scottscheapflights.com/

Great resource for being alerted to great deals and tips on how to book yourself the best price no matter what flight you are taking.

• McNulty likes this

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

How'd it go?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

How'd it go?

You're assuming the goofy airline flew him back?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

Three weeks from today I’ll be in Paris — crazy to think about.

Considering going to the French Open while there to check out an opening round match or two.

Anyone been? Advice?

@bopper33

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

So I leave a week from Saturday, crazy.

Question about charging my iphone.  I have an adaptor which has USB ports on it.  I know the actual "brick" plug has a voltage converter (120-240v) but if I just use the usb cord and plug it directly into the adaptor (which is plugged into the wall) will that fry my phone?

Thanks.

@bopper33

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

You'll be getting 1 or 2 amps at ~5 volts from USB regardless....

When you say you have an "adaptor with has USB on it", what does that mean?  Where does this adaptor go?

#32 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

You'll be getting 1 or 2 amps at ~5 volts regardless....

Meaning...?

@bopper33

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

Phones and iPads are fine to charge without a voltage adapter. I do it all the time overseas. What you need voltage adapters for are things like irons and non-computer devices. My wife fried her hair once using a curling iron without a voltage adapter. And I've burned clothes doing the same.

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

Meaning...?

That's the USB output spec regardless of where the juice comes from... in other words, you should be fine...

Go read what I asked when I edited my previous post...

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

You'll be getting 1 or 2 amps at ~5 volts from USB regardless....

When you say you have an "adaptor with has USB on it", what does that mean?  Where does this adaptor go?

I have one of those universal adapters where you plug your US stuff (like my Cpap machine) into it and then it has Euro prongs that go into the wall.

This adapter also has USB slots on it so I don't actually need the "brick" plug to charge my phone -- just the cord that has a USB plug on the end of it.

My concern was that while the "brick" plug can convert the voltage I'm not sure that just the cord can and i don't want to fry my phone if the outlet gives it too much juice and just the USB cord can't convert the voltage.

@bopper33

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Phones and iPads are fine to charge without a voltage adapter. I do it all the time overseas. What you need voltage adapters for are things like irons and non-computer devices. My wife fried her hair once using a curling iron without a voltage adapter. And I've burned clothes doing the same.

Ok...do you just use the cord to plug into a usb port?  Or do you use the brick plug?

@bopper33

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

Ok...do you just use the cord to plug into a usb port?  Or do you use the brick plug?

I have outlet adapters that don't have voltage converters so I use that and plug the cord that into any Euro outlet to charge a phone.

And yeah you could always use the USB inputs on your adapters too.

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

I have one of those universal adapters where you plug your US stuff (like my Cpap machine) into it and then it has Euro prongs that go into the wall.

This adapter also has USB slots on it so I don't actually need the "brick" plug to charge my phone -- just the cord that has a USB plug on the end of it.

My concern was that while the "brick" plug can convert the voltage I'm not sure that just the cord can and i don't want to fry my phone if the outlet gives it too much juice and just the USB cord can't convert the voltage.

USB is not just the shape of the plug... it's also an international standard.... so, when you plug in something that has a USB port, you can count on the output being the same (5V) regardless of the voltage coming out of the wall that that the doohickey is plugged in to....

This assumes that what you're plugging into the wall is the correct voltage for that wall outlet... so, for example, if you plugged in a 110V adapter into a 240V outlet, and if the 110V adaptor got fried, I don't know if your USB device would be protected... but as long as you are plugging stuff into the wall that is compatible with the juice that comes out of the wall, then your USB stuff will be fine... it will get 5V regardless... just like it's supposed to...

#39 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for your help guys

@bopper33

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

BTW the adapter says 110-240v on it so that should be fine.

@bopper33

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (20)

Our Sponsors

width=