#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

Landry has played all 16 games the last 2 years and played 14 the year before.

In 2014, he played in 11 games and still caught 84 passes. He then caught 110, 94 and 112 passes. He has never been over 1150 yards and was never much of a TD scorer until this season, when he had 9.

Still..he catches the ball, runs great routes, is durable
And is young. Would love to add him. Should be priority #1.

#22 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

You find the money.

This team needs to stop ignoring this issue. Playmaking talent has been the team’s biggest need on what is going on the 3rd offseason.

You can mask some depth issues in some areas when you have legit playmakers.

I'm sure Ozzie will work some money around, but even still, Landry is a pipe dream. Everyone else could be a possibility.

#23 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

When is the last time Ozzie spent big money on a young talent in his prime?  His MO is find vets that have some tread left on the tires on the cheap, hoping their modest production will be a benefit for a year or two.  I'd love to see it happen, but given the cap situation and history I don't think it will.

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Landry isn’t a pipe dream.

You can sign him.

A lot of contracts can come off the board after 2019..you can make enough cuts/trades to afford him now.

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

When is the last time Ozzie spent big money on a young talent in his prime?  His MO is find vets that have some tread left on the tires on the cheap, hoping their modest production will be a benefit for a year or two.  I'd love to see it happen, but given the cap situation and history I don't think it will.

Last offseason, he spent money in FA..never had done that before either.

#26 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

Landry isn’t a pipe dream.

You can sign him.

A lot of contracts can come off the board after 2019..you can make enough cuts/trades to afford him now.

Look man, I want him, he's a great possession type. But we ain't signing him. He's getting tagged or someone is going to price him out of our range. We simply can't just go cutting a bunch of guys for one player, especially if he isn't a game changing type of player. And as good as Landry is, he isn't a game changer.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Look man, I want him, he's a great possession type. But we ain't signing him. He's getting tagged or someone is going to price him out of our range. We simply can't just go cutting a bunch of guys for one player, especially if he isn't a game changing type of player. And as good as Landry is, he isn't a game changer.

They are cutting the players anyway.

They can clearly sign him if they want.

If he’s tagged, that does change things.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

When is the last time Ozzie spent big money on a young talent in his prime?

Last year.  He gave Jefferson a huge deal.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

Landry and Pryor and a day 1 or 2 draft pick would be nice WR additions.  If you sign two FAs, then you don't bring Wallace back, but I'd also be ok with him being resigned if they bring in someone like Landry.

I don't want Watkins or Robinson for the prices I expect they'll command.  If I'm paying full freight for a WR, I want it to be someone who's production I'm confident in, and that's Landry.  Add one top guy and one mid-tier guy like Pryor, then fill all other needs with cheap vets and through the draft.  Not sure if the cap space works out for adding two WR, but I'd try to make it work.

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

Landry, Robinson, Watkins and Lee.

If Lee is who you get, you still need a big WR.

Landry is ideal..Robinson close behind.

I think Watkins is the one I'd take a cheap flier on. But the Rams have a ton of cap space to retain him. 

Otherwise, I'm with Biggsy, that none of these guys are game changers. They are just guys, with Watkins having the most upside. 

As I start looking at the draft, we'll see how deep the WR class could be, and that might sway me on whether they need to throw $6-$8M a year at another Jeremy Maclin, or just try to draft a real game changer at rookie deal prices. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:49 AM

You can only get a game changer at #16 or below if you get lucky.  It's possible that a 1st, 2nd, or later round rookie makes an impact right away, but you shouldn't be relying on that.  We have to address WR in free agency and early in the draft, not just one or the other, IMO.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Wallace can still get open. The QB has to get him the ball. He seems to have matured as a leader too. He shouldnt be expensive. Everyone always thinks the grass is greener but I doubt there are guys for their price tag that I want more than Wallace

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

Too much volatility at WR early in the draft. Rarely does a WR make an immediate impact anyway. Especially with a QB like Flacco.

I'm more apt to look at WR in the middle portions of the draft.Rounds 2-4. Go look at the leading Wrs in the league this year. You don't see a lot of 1st round guys

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

You can only get a game changer at #16 or below if you get lucky.  It's possible that a 1st, 2nd, or later round rookie makes an impact right away, but you shouldn't be relying on that.  We have to address WR in free agency and early in the draft, not just one or the other, IMO.

That's why I'd take the flier on Watkins if he's available. Also why I'd target 2 WR in the first three rounds, and maybe a 3rd in the later rounds.

I think if they try to draft a couple WRs in the first 3 rounds, and they bust like Perriman, the Ravens can at least attest to trying. 

Assuming MM is running the offense next year, signing a FA WR below the first tier won't change anything. You need to draft a guy who can create on his own despite the system. mid-tier FAs aren't those guys. It will be Maclin all over again and I don't want to see chunks of money go to that. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

Too much volatility at WR early in the draft. Rarely does a WR make an immediate impact anyway.

True for most positions. But you have to lay the ground work. Can't ignore the problem because it will take hypothetically two years to fix instead of one.

@BSLMikeRandall

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Yea, Wallace is the second guy I would want, assuming cheap price, willingness to accept role, etc...

Joe is comfortable with him, so that’s important too.

I figure Landry gets something in the ballpark of a 4-5 year 10-12M per year deal with 25-30M guaranteed.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

Btw people were excited about the Maclin signing. I don't care about a name or even the stats. I want a physical, strong handed, contested ball catcher. Flacco just doesn't throw guys open enough. You need a Boldin type player. Now, if that guy can run routes and has some speed ( Julio Jones) well that's just extra gravy.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

That's why I'd take the flier on Watkins if he's available. Also why I'd target 2 WR in the first three rounds, and maybe a 3rd in the later rounds.

I think if they try to draft a couple WRs in the first 3 rounds, and they bust like Perriman, the Ravens can at least attest to trying. 

Assuming MM is running the offense next year, signing a FA WR below the first tier won't change anything. You need to draft a guy who can create on his own despite the system. mid-tier FAs aren't those guys. It will be Maclin all over again and I don't want to see chunks of money go to that. 

The only thing I object to in this post is the word "flier", I think Watkins, or any WR that any of us would be excited about signing, is going to cost serious money.  He's gonna take 4/$40M+, IMO.  Not gonna be a cheaper 2/$16M deal like Wallace and Maclin got.

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Ravens were Last in the NFL in YAC.

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF