Photo

2018 Ravens Draft Talk (Before the Draft)

• Please log in to reply
971 replies to this topic

#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

While there are some maturity concerns with Mayfield, I wouldn't put him in Manziel's category. No evidence (yet) that he's a partier or might have substance abuse issues.

I’m talking on field, not off it

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

Allen will definitely end up going Top 5. He's 6'5 with mobility and a rocket arm. What makes NFL scouts drool. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the 1st QB drafted.

Keeps being connected with Denver (guess the Broncos already have decided Paxton Lynch isn't happening... Might be interesting to see if you could pry him with a 3rd or 4th... if you believed in him to begin with).

The biggest knock on Allen is his accuracy.  (That and when they played better teams, he didn't perform.) Feeling was if he couldn't be accurate at Wyoming, that doesn't bode well.

Overall, I agree with you.  He has intangibles you can't teach, and I think he's regarded as a worker as well.

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

If they sign Cousins they need to trade that #1 pick.

Exactly.

Denver or the Jets could trade up and they stay in the middle of the top 10.

If they want to go back a little further, Miami could be in play.

I hope Cle spends big on Cousins.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Keeps being connected with Denver (guess the Broncos already have decided Paxton Lynch isn't happening... Might be interesting to see if you could pry him with a 3rd or 4th... if you believed in him to begin with).
The biggest knock on Allen is his accuracy.  (That and when they played better teams, he didn't perform.) Feeling was if he couldn't be accurate at Wyoming, that doesn't bode well.
Overall, I agree with you.  He has intangibles you can't teach, and I think he's regarded as a worker as well.

Talent around him sucked this year. He lost a lot off of last years team.

Mort talked about this earlier this year..Teams haven’t soured on him at all..they see the level of talent around him.

I have heard some Wentz comps.

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Exactly.

Would keep them with 2 picks in the Top 10... probably add another 2nd?  (Their 4th in the draft.)  Seems like win/win.

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Exactly.

And if Cleveland signs Cousins, Washington is also in play....and we know Snyder will give up a lot to move up and draft a QB.

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

Would keep them with 2 picks in the Top 10... probably add another 2nd?  (Their 4th in the draft.)  Seems like win/win.

Win/win depending on your belief of Cousins.

My guess is Cousins is a guy you can win with but not a guy you want taking up a ton of your cap.

That is for the elite guys only.

Much rather see them do that than add a high upside cheap option.

They may be tired of the young QB route though.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

Win/win depending on your belief of Cousins.

My guess is Cousins is a guy you can win with but not a guy you want taking up a ton of your cap.

That is for the elite guys only.

Much rather see them do that than add a high upside cheap option.

They may be tired of the young QB route though.

Guy you can win with was exactly my thought.

They've got the most cap room of anyone (or at-least did coming into '17). 

First round QBs are typically 50/50 in their success rate.  They should take the known quantity (mid-tier guy) imo, and use all of those other picks to shore up their roster.

#49 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

Flacco is a pretty good comp for Allen IMO. At least coming out.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Guy you can win with was exactly my thought.

They've got the most cap room of anyone (or at-least did coming into '17).

First round QBs are typically 50/50 in their success rate. They should take the known quantity (mid-tier guy) imo, and use all of those other picks to shore up their roster.

Going back to this post, which I agree isn’t the end all be all, I just can’t advocate for any team to pay huge money to a non elite QB.

http://www.baltimore...ot/#entry697558

Now, Cle has lost so much that they may have to do it but I think if they do it, they will regret it long term.

#51 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

Walter Football: 12/28 Mock
http://walterfootbal...m/draft2018.php

Land of 10: NFL mock draft 2018: Top players, first round projections for 2018 NFL Draft (01/01/2018)
https://www.landof10...draft-january-1

So even in the now updated version on Walter they gave us getting the 2nd WR on the board....I'm hoping Ridley falls to us.

Roll Tide

#52 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

So even in the now updated version on Walter they gave us getting the 2nd WR on the board....I'm hoping Ridley falls to us.

I can't see it. Given the choice, with the Flacco factor, I'd rather take Sutton. Big body, good hands and he can make tough catches. He fits the Boldin mold of receivers.

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Smith and Humphrey finish 4 and 5 in lowest passer rating when they are in coverage this season.

Bouye, William Jackson and Lattimore finished 1-3:

#54 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Flacco is a pretty good comp for Allen IMO. At least coming out.

I don't want Allen. Not in the first. I watched him a couple games and nothing he did impressed me. Honestly, he seemed to have trouble reading defenses and blitzes at the college level. To me, given the level of competition he was playing, that's a terrible sign.

However, as Bnick pointed out, he has all of the measurables. If he knocks his workouts out of the park all off-season, he'll be a top 5 pick by April, if not the #1.

#55 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Physically I think he compares well with Russell Wilson.....undersized, but mobile and can make all the throws with decent accuracy. The main difference between the two coming out is the offense they played in. Wilson was already in a pro-style system his final year at Wisconsin, Mayfield obviously isn't and would likely have a greater learning curve making the jump. The other criticism of Mayfield is that he might have too much "gunslinger" in him.....he makes big plays, but takes big risks. In college you can get away with it a lot more. In the NFL it could make him go from the next Russell Wilson to the next Rex Grossman.

If we were able to get him, it'd be a perfect scenario for him. Flacco is the starter for at least one more year, probably two. That'd give him 2 years to learn. With his mobility, size can be overcome. He has the arm and accuracy. And most of All, he wants to be great. Of all of the QBs, he has the most potential to fall down the board by April.

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

Allen had his worst games against the best (Power 5) competition. That concerns me with him.

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

Allen had his worst games against the best (Power 5) competition. That concerns me with him.

Some are convinced he'll be better with NFL talent around him. Another guy I've never seen other than highlight tape but the size, arm, and mobility jump off the page. I love big QBs if they aren't statues.

#58 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

Some are convinced he'll be better with NFL talent around him. Another guy I've never seen other than highlight tape but the size, arm, and mobility jump off the page. I love big QBs if they aren't statues.

I saw a couple of his games this year, and he didn't look impressive at all in either. Definitely has a cannon though. But so did Boller.

Rosen really didn't impress me a whole lot either when I watched him. However he did seem to be forcing things, trying to make plays. Mayfield is the only QB that I've watched this year, that has consistently impressed me.

I wouldn't be opposed to Lamar Jackson. I know a lot of guys on here would give a hard pass. But he has a cannon, and has consistently improved from the pocket every year. I understand the negatives are definitely justified. He makes questionable decisions at times. But the guy is an unquestioned playmaker. Something stupid like 4000 rushing yards and 8000 passing yards or something like that. Reminds me a lot of a taller Michael Vick

#59 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

Watching this bowl game, I'm on the Roquan Smith train. Guy is all over the field tonight. I'd add him to the short list of defensive players we could take at 16 that wouldn't piss me off.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

Watching this bowl game, I'm on the Roquan Smith train. Guy is all over the field tonight. I'd add him to the short list of defensive players we could take at 16 that wouldn't piss me off.

He was getting lost early on but has a good upside. Lots of speed.

Want to get a good ILB but not excited about one in the first round unless they are elite.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=