NCAAF Playoff Expansion...
Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:25 PM
There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note
"Now OPS sucks. Got it."
"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."
"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty
Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:45 AM
The schedules for the 2024 and 2025 season playoffs are partially set. The title games will be played January 20, 2025 and January 19, 2026, respectively. The first round games, featuring the 5-12 seeded teams, will be played on the campus of the higher seed (or a nearby stadium if the school is unable to host a game). The quarterfinals and semifinals will rotate between the six current CFP bowls (Cotton, Fiesta, Orange, Peach, Rose and Sugar). Much as the CFP would like to avoid it, it seems likely quarterfinal games will have to go head-to-head against the NFL’s late December Saturday games.
Starting with the 2026 season, the playoff could look a little different. That's because all the TV contracts and contracts with the bowl games will have expired, and the CFP can negotiate from scratch something that better fits the 12-team format. Things that have been discussed are starting and ending the regular season a week earlier (which might enable them to avoid clashing with the NFL), and maybe having the quarterfinal games on campus too.
- BSLChrisStoner likes this
Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:37 PM
Brett McMurphy@Brett_McMurphy·24mBig Ten commish Kevin Warren & AAC commish Mike Aresco told me they’re open about having both 1st round & quarterfinals on campus sites in 12-team playoff. Warren said it would be “wonderful.” Quarterfinals set for bowls in 2024-25, so earliest for campus sites would be 2026
Would definitely be in favor of this.
Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:31 PM
We're getting some more clarity on what the 2024 CFP will look like.
The 1st Round (seeds 5-12, played at, or near, the home stadium of the higher seed) will be played the 3rd weekend of December. One game will be Friday night and the other 3 on Saturday. At least two, and probably all three Saturday games will go head-to-head against NFL games, an unavoidable consequence. The other tricky part will be the availability of campus stadiums on those dates (hence some might have to be played "near" the higher seed's home).
The quarterfinals will be around the New Years holiday and will incorporate 4 of the current New Years Six bowls. Three of the games will be played New Years Day, and the other will be either New Years Eve or Jan 2.
Each of the semifinal games will be played on a weeknight prior to NFL wild card weekend. They will formally be the other two NY6 bowl games (yes....weird). The exact days of the week haven't been specified, but it seems most likely to be Thursday and Friday nights.
The championship game would be the second Monday after the semifinals. For the 2024 season that's expected to be Jan 20, 2025....which is interesting, as that is the day the winner of the 2024 Presidential Election will be inaugurated. But I guess with the actual ceremony at noon ET and the game at night, they don't think it's a big deal.
Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:35 AM
Dates and approximate timeslots for the 2024 and 2025 CFP have been set.
- First Round (On-Campus)
- Friday, December 20, 2024: One Game (evening)
- Saturday, December 21, 2024: Three Games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)
- Tuesday, December 31, 2024: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening)
- Wednesday, January 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)
- Thursday, January 9, 2025: Capital One Orange Bowl (evening)
- Friday, January 10, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening)
- Monday, January 20, 2025: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia
- First Round (On-Campus)
- Friday, December 19, 2025: One Game (evening)
- Saturday, December 20, 2025: Three Games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)
- Wednesday, December 31, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening)
- Thursday, January 1, 2026: Capital One Orange Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)
- Thursday, January 8, 2026: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening)
- Friday, January 9, 2026: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (evening)
- Monday, January 19, 2026: Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida
- Mike in STL likes this
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users