#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

I agree with Morgan's thesis and do not find him to be overly sanctimonious. The Hall is a revered institution, and its members should appreciate it as such.

Yes, some members "cheated" in a literal sense. Gaylord Perry flaunted the rules, but in reality, what he did took a great deal of skill. Not just anyone can successfully throw a spitter. Some used greenies, but what did they really do for those players that would've been different from drinking energy drinks?

Steroids completely altered the reality of the game. Muscle-bound men posted numbers unheard of in other eras, and they improved their performances at ages where they should've been bowing out. Look at Clemens' numbers going from a really good pitcher most of his career to an all-time great by his late 30s and 40s. Those guys cheapened the history of the game. Barry Bonds deserves zero honor for what he did. Hank Aaron should be the all-time home run leader, not him.

You can't use the "he was a man of his time" argument for Cobb and not use it for Bonds.

• mweb08 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#43 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:33 AM

I think that if the confirmed steroid players get into the HOF, shoeless joe jackson and pete rose should be in as well. It's an era of baseball, whether we all like or not. I'm personally not for steroid players getting in, however. 

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

I think that if the confirmed steroid players get into the HOF, shoeless joe jackson and pete rose should be in as well. It's an era of baseball, whether we all like or not. I'm personally not for steroid players getting in, however. 

Do you think there's a difference between cheating (at any level: from doctoring equipment to PEDs) to gain an advantage to try to win, and trying to lose to throw games?

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=