#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

If all of these guys leave, you go from maybe a 7 or even 8 win season (and a perceived break through) to looking at  5 wins, and panic about the lack of progression.

Let's just take a step back off the ledge here. Yes, losing Moore, Gray, Prince, and Jackson would create some big holes for this team. But kissing the season goodbye 9 months before it begins? That's ridiculous. It's not like they have a bunch of scrubs behind these guys on the depth chart.

If Moore leaves, you rely more on Taivon Jacobs, who had a great finish to his 2017 season and showed a real knack for finding the end zone. You've got a bunch of talented slot guys: DJ Turner, Rayshad Lewis, Anthony McFarland. You rely more on those guys while you develop some of your younger, tall receivers on the outside (Jayden Comma, Carlos Carriere, etc.).

With Jackson gone, you have 3-4 guys who will compete for his job. RaVon Davis and Antwaine Richardson have both been impressive when they've gotten on the field. Deon Jones is a former 4-star recruit, and you may be able to retain Boykin, another 4-star guy.

If Prince leaves, you've got former 4-star recruit Marcus Minor ready to step in, as he did this year when Prince got hurt.

If Gray leaves, you'll have 3 guys competing for his job. You've got the 4th-best JuCo OT coming in this year's class (6'8" TJ Bradley), former 4-star recruit Jordan McNair, and 6'7" Tyran Hunt.

@BSLZackKiesel

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Let's just take a step back off the ledge here. Yes, losing Moore, Gray, Prince, and Jackson would create some big holes for this team. But kissing the season goodbye 9 months before it begins? That's ridiculous. It's not like they have a bunch of scrubs behind these guys on the depth chart.

If Moore leaves, you rely more on Taivon Jacobs, who had a great finish to his 2017 season and showed a real knack for finding the end zone. You've got a bunch of talented slot guys: DJ Turner, Rayshad Lewis, Anthony McFarland. You rely more on those guys while you develop some of your younger, tall receivers on the outside (Jayden Comma, Carlos Carriere, etc.).

With Jackson gone, you have 3-4 guys who will compete for his job. RaVon Davis and Antwaine Richardson have both been impressive when they've gotten on the field. Deon Jones is a former 4-star recruit, and you may be able to retain Boykin, another 4-star guy.

If Prince leaves, you've got former 4-star recruit Marcus Minor ready to step in, as he did this year when Prince got hurt.

If Gray leaves, you'll have 3 guys competing for his job. You've got the 4th-best JuCo OT coming in this year's class (6'8" TJ Bradley), former 4-star recruit Jordan McNair, and 6'7" Tyran Hunt.

If you think with those guys that you are a 7-8 win team.... the only logical conclusion is that you are likely worse without them.

That doesn't mean you don't have options who could perform, it does mean you've lost depth....   (maybe by the time you get the '19 Class signed, the depth will no longer be an issue.... I expect it will be in '18 if you lose these guys).

Or more to the point... you might still play up and win those 7-8 games, but your margin for error is reduced.  You are also certainly less likely to compete against the best.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

If Moore leaves, you rely more on Taivon Jacobs, who had a great finish to his 2017 season and showed a real knack for finding the end zone. 

Were you referring to Davenport there? Technically Jacobs is out of eligibility, though he might be able to get an extra year for a medical redshirt. But I've heard nothing yet as to whether he intends to try, and he's been in college long enough he could always do it somewhere else as a grad transfer.

The Terps were always going to be relying heavily on guys that had very little or no playing experience next season, originally at WR and the defensive front seven (or front six, as I guess it is in this defense). For that reason I think it was premature to be projecting win totals. But now that they are potentially going to have to rely on guys with little to no track record on the OL and secondary too, I do think Chris has a point that you have to adjust expectations, at least until we see whether or not some of these kids can play.

#24 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Were you referring to Davenport there? Technically Jacobs is out of eligibility, though he might be able to get an extra year for a medical redshirt. But I've heard nothing yet as to whether he intends to try, and he's been in college long enough he could always do it somewhere else as a grad transfer.

No, Jacobs. He didn't participate in Senior Day activities, and Don Markus (Baltimore Sun) tweeted on 11/25 he'll be seeking a medical redshirt.

@BSLZackKiesel

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:23 PM

DQygi6VVQAAOj5k.jpg

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Very interesting, considering how poor overall as a unit the OL appeared to be. Though pass protection obviously has a lot of moving pieces beyond individual linemen. I guess the best way to put it is that the whole was less than the sum of its parts.

Lends credence to the thought that both Gray and Prince will head for the draft too. The source I read about that indicated that both of them have skipped two team meetings since the season ended.....that source is a commenter on Testudo Times, so take it for what it's worth.

And like I said above, we could see more MD players drafted this spring than we have in a long time. I don't know what the most for one draft was, but if they have 5 or 6 guys drafted that would have to at least be close.

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

As expected, DJ Moore will be leaving UMD early to enter the NFL Draft.

DRbK2ttXUAE3wpI.jpg

@BSLZackKiesel

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

IMS: Merritt leaving

https://maryland.247...rylandTerrapins

#29 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

With Merritt's departure, I've made some slight updates to the Projected Depth Chart in the article.

My projected starters:

QB: Kasim Hill

RB: Ty Johnson

WR (SE): Jahrvis Davenport

WR (FL): Taivon Jacobs

WR (SL): DJ Turner

TE: Avery Edwards

LT: Derwin Gray

LG: Sean Christie

C: Brendan Moore

RG: Terrance Davis

RT: Damian Prince

SDE: Byron Cowart

NT: Adam McLean

DT: Mbi Tanyi

BUCK: Jesse Aniebonam

MLB: Isaiah Davis

WLB: Nick Underwood

FCB: RaVon Davis

NICKLE: Antoine Brooks

BCB: Tino Ellis

FS: Darnell Savage, Jr.

SS: Qwuantrezz Knight

K: Joseph Petrino

P: Wade Lees

LS: Matt Oliviera

KR/PR: Ty Johnson

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#30 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

With Merritt's departure, and the addition of Ruble, I've made some slight updates to the Projected Depth Chart in the article.

My projected starters:

I'd be surprised at Christie getting the start, though it's not out of the question. He was very poor at LG last year, and with more talent getting another year under their belts, I'd suspect someone will push him out. Minor in particular could do it, but there are others. I wouldn't be surprised to see Damien Prince getting looks at Christie's Lg spot, with Minor getting RT looks. It'll be an interesting competition along the line, with Johnny Jordan pushing Brendan Moore at center, as well. I like seeing 8 or 9 guys with legit shots at pushing for starts.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Wade Lees has done a poor job as our punter and I'd love to see him get pushed out a.s.a.p.

#31 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

I'd be surprised at Christie getting the start, though it's not out of the question. He was very poor at LG last year, and with more talent getting another year under their belts, I'd suspect someone will push him out. Minor in particular could do it, but there are others. I wouldn't be surprised to see Damien Prince getting looks at Christie's Lg spot, with Minor getting RT looks. It'll be an interesting competition along the line, with Johnny Jordan pushing Brendan Moore at center, as well. I like seeing 8 or 9 guys with legit shots at pushing for starts.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Wade Lees has done a poor job as our punter and I'd love to see him get pushed out a.s.a.p.

Others have suggested Prince could move inside since that's likely his NFL position, but he was so good at RT last year it'll be tough for Durkin to justify that. Brendan Moore has center locked up, as he has for the past few years.

Wade Lees doesn't have a huge leg, but he's one of the most accurate punters in the country. Last year, he had just 2 touchbacks and downed 17 punts inside the 20. In 2016, he had just 1 touchback and 20 punts downed inside the 20. He's an important weapon for this team, and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

@BSLZackKiesel

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

Moving Prince inside is an interesting prospect. I think it could definitely strengthen the line as an overall unit since Minor was able to mostly hold his own when Prince was out. Ideally you want to have your best 5 linemen out there as your starting unit. But positionally you want your best 2 to be the tackles. I think as long as Prince is on board, since he does seem better suited for G at the next level, I'd give it a go.

Lees isn't that bad. He's not anything special, but passable enough that I wouldn't advocate having a second scholarship punter on the roster.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

With Merritt's departure, I've made some slight updates to the Projected Depth Chart in the article.

My projected starters:

Underwood didn't really jump off the screen when I saw him play last season. I would think the coaches might give Tre Watson every opportunity to win the WLB job in the spring and preseason.

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

Testudo Times: What Maryland football’s offensive depth chart looks like after spring camp
https://www.testudot...ce-roster-stats

#35 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:24 AM

^^^^^

Is that good or bad?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:05 AM

Testudo Times: What Maryland football's defensive depth chart looks like after spring camp

@BSLZackKiesel

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

^^^^^

Is that good or bad?

The link? The depth?

It's improving depth. At some positions, you can find players in the 3 deep you like.

In some areas, it's still thin.

If you could actually keep the starters healthy, the starting talent is pretty strong.

#38 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

For me, success this season hinges on two things: Quarterbacks and the Defensive Line.

As long as one of Kasim Hill or Tyrrell Pigrome is starting at QB, the offense should be successful. This group of running backs may be the best in the conference, and the offensive line is experienced and talented. Wide receiver is the question mark, but I think there's enough young talent there that finding 4-5 solid targets shouldn't be too difficult. Taivon Jacobs isn't DJ Moore, but he should be a solid #1 option as a 6th-year senior. Having Okonkwo and/or Edwards as receiving threats at tight end will be helpful as well.

Defensively, it hinges on the line. Run stopping and pass rushing. Getting Jesse Aniebonam back will be huge for this group. Remember how good the line looked against Texas? I like how the interior is shaping up as well. Adam McLean stepped up towards the end of last year, and Mbi Tanyi is a solid interior pass-rusher. You heard a few guys say last season that the lack of a pass rush allowed quarterbacks to get out of the pocket and extend plays far too often. Getting that pressure will be key, as will clogging the middle and now allowing so many easy runs.

@BSLZackKiesel

#39 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

Here's the link to my Projected Depth Chart on Google Sheets. I'll be updating this continuously throughout the off-season.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

@BSLZackKiesel

#40 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

Some more updating you can do.....

Melvin Keihn, Will McClain, Brock Sassler all are gone from the team.

Spring game, all of Rayshad Lewis reps came as a DB nor WR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=