BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

BSL: Your Season's Over. What Now?

My first article looking towards the 2018 season features a look at next season's depth chart, new additions, potential coaching turnover, and a schedule preview.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe and NewMarketSean like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

I tend to forget about Rayshad Lewis, and the solid numbers he put up at Utah St as a freshman. He'd probably help ease the pain of losing DJ Moore early, which I kind of expect at this point.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

I hope Spence and Brandon Gaddy are in the 2 Deep.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

Worth the read if you didn't get to this previously.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

InsideMDSports: Terps WR DJ Moore: "I Do Feel Ready for the Next Level"

“I’m going to have to take the emotion out of the decision,” Moore said after Maryland’s 66-3 loss to Penn State. “I’m just going to have to figure out what’s best for me at the end of the day.”

The Ravens, Redskins, Seahawks, Chiefs and Giants were all on hand Saturday.

Looks like most draft projections have Moore as a 4th/5th round pick, and his stock has been rising recently. 

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

Don't let him end up on the Ravens. He seems like a really good kid. Would hate to see his career doomed to failure before it even begins.

• Mike in STL likes this

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

One piece of good news that I missed yesterday: WR Taivon Jacobs will be seeking a medical redshirt in an attempt to play next season. The redshirt would be for the 2016 season, which he missed the entirety of. That would certainly help lighten the blow if Moore decides to move on.

Also, Jesse Aniebonam didn't participate in Senior Day festivities, so looks like he'll seek a medical redshirt for this season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

Having had a chance to process things, here's a couple thoughts:

First, it's official....at least according to Sagarin, Maryland played the toughest schedule in the country (they played both of the only two teams to go undefeated). They played 8 games against Top 30 teams, and won one of them (#28 Texas). They really only had one inexcusable loss, the Rutgers game, and they were a holding call away from OT in that one. All-in-all, 4-8 isn't terrible against that schedule for the second season of a rebuild of a program that was short on talent and depth.

The disappointment is how many of those losses went down. For the most part they were every bit as lopsided as prior seasons, and despite the QB situation (broken record alert), they are still way too weak in the trenches to close the gap. I understand why the D-Line wasn't good. It was mostly the same personnel as last season, and so significant improvement shouldn't have been expected. They are recruiting better there though, so hopefully the younger players will be ready sooner than later.

The OL is where I'm truly disappointed and frustrated. The talent ought to be there....for most of the season they started a 5-star, two 4-stars and two 3-stars....and all but one of them had at least a few starts and significant playing time under their belt heading into the season. Simply put, the whole was less than the sum of the parts. I don't know where the problem lies with that....overrated as recruits, wrong fit for the offense, not coached well enough, or if having 3 different position coaches the last 3 seasons has messed them up. I don't know. Like I said, I'm frustrated with it. Nothing really improves until this is fixed.

Now the good news....I think, Durkin still has plenty to sell to recruits. New indoor practice field online, and more facilities upgrades to come. A team that, while they didn't get the results, they mostly showed up and played hard (except yesterday, and they have to live with that for the next 9 months). While I don't give it quite as much weight as some of you for the results, he can point to the impact of the QB mess on the results too....and better yet that the two guys who went down both looked really good and will be back with plenty of eligibility remaining. Keep all the current commitments, add Anoma (damnit, one of these days MD has to finally score on the top in-state DE), hopefully have both Pigrome and Hill healthy when practice starts next August*, and things won't seem as bad as they do now.

* Read somewhere that even though their injuries were only 3 weeks apart, Hill might be on a longer timetable because his was more severe. I would not expect either to be ready for full participation in the spring, so looks like it will be Bortenschlager, Brand and Henderson holding the fort for a while.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

Daniels twins are transferring.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, just saw that. Not too surprising, as there's a ton of depth at DB and they haven't gotten much playing time. Best of luck to them, they seem like great kids.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

Ouch. That's 4 secondary guys that have left the program since the start of the season. Highlights the need to hold on to their current commitments.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, just saw that. Not too surprising, as there's a ton of depth at DB and they haven't gotten much playing time. Best of luck to them, they seem like great kids.

As you know, you had them as the 2nd string Safeties... do you see the 3rd string CB's (Deon Jones) shifting to S, or do you see the Freshman moving up to 2nd string?

Doesn't look like Markquese Bell has found a home yet... wonder if they could bring him back in? Guess that ship has sailed.

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

As you know, you had them as the 2nd string Safeties... do you see the 3rd string CB's (Deon Jones) shifting to S, or do you see the Freshman moving up to 2nd string?

Doesn't look like Markquese Bell has found a home yet... wonder if they could bring him back in? Guess that ship has sailed.

Marcus Lewis can play safety, and they'll use him as a hybrid. He'll be a huge addition that not many people are talking about, former 4-star guy from FSU. Boone and Mosley are both early enrollees, so they'll have plenty of time to make an impact. Jones could move to S, but they seem to like him at CB, and he'll have a good chance to start once Jackson leaves after next year.

@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

For those holding out hope that DJ Moore might return, Mel Kiper currently has him as the #2 WR on his board.

(Full Disclosure: That info is behind the ESPN Insider paywall, which I don't have, so I'm taking someone's word who stated that is what Kiper has)

Interestingly, Kiper said that only his #1 WR (Alabama's Calvin Ridley) grades as a 1st Round talent. That could actually work to DJ Moore's advantage to sneak into the 1st Round, if NFL evaluators view him similarly, since some team who really wants a WR may value him higher.

Anyway, point is we need to start getting used to the idea that MD will have a woefully inexperienced receiver corps next season.

One other note: Same info source on Moore said that a couple mock drafts have JC Jackson as a 2nd Round pick. I don't see it personally, but then I didn't really think Sean Davis was a 2nd Round pick a couple years ago....and then he was.

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

I'm trying to think how high Moore would have to go for me to not be mad at the Ravens for not taking him.

I think 2nd round.  If he goes in the 2nd, even after the Ravens pick, I won't criticize the Ravens for passing on him.  If they get to their third round pick and don't take him, I'll be upset. 

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

I'm trying to think how high Moore would have to go for me to not be mad at the Ravens for not taking him.

I think 2nd round.  If he goes in the 2nd, even after the Ravens pick, I won't criticize the Ravens for passing on him.  If they get to their third round pick and don't take him, I'll be upset. 

If the Ravens took hm, he'd be doomed to failure, no matter what round it was.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

JC Jackson is declaring for the draft, per his Instagram account.

https://www.instagra...-by=jcjackson_7

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:23 PM

JC Jackson is declaring for the draft, per his Instagram account.

https://www.instagra...-by=jcjackson_7

Best of luck to him. He had a spectacular season as a lock-down corner. 40 tackles, 3 INTs, 7 PBUs. This opens up a big opportunity for guys like Tino Ellis, Antwaine Richardson, RaVon Davis, and Deon Jones to step up as the team's #1 CB.

@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

They really need to keep Boykin from flipping.

Seeing rumors that both Gray and Prince are seriously considering jumping too. Assuming the likely scenario that Moore will leave, those two would make 4 early departures. The bright side is that it could mean MD has one of its biggest Draft classes ever (not sure what projections are for Carter and Aniebonam, but would think they both have a shot). Always a good thing to show recruits that the coaches can prepare you for the next level, and to have NFL guys repping the program.

The downside is obvious, as it leaves unexpected gaps on next year's team. Programs that regularly have multiple early departures are the ones that typically have deep pools of talent ready to step in. So they often don't skip a beat. Maryland, despite one Top 20 recruiting class and maybe another, isn't there yet.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

They really need to keep Boykin from flipping.

Seeing rumors that both Gray and Prince are seriously considering jumping too. Assuming the likely scenario that Moore will leave, those two would make 4 early departures. The bright side is that it could mean MD has one of its biggest Draft classes ever (not sure what projections are for Carter and Aniebonam, but would think they both have a shot). Always a good thing to show recruits that the coaches can prepare you for the next level, and to have NFL guys repping the program.

The downside is obvious, as it leaves unexpected gaps on next year's team. Programs that regularly have multiple early departures are the ones that typically have deep pools of talent ready to step in. So they often don't skip a beat. Maryland, despite one Top 20 recruiting class and maybe another, isn't there yet.

If all of these guys leave, you go from maybe a 7 or even 8 win season (and a perceived break through) to looking at  5 wins, and panic about the lack of progression.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=