Photo

BSL: Baltimore Orioles Prospects Ranking (Winter 2017)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ReggieYinger

ReggieYinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

BSL: Baltimore Orioles Prospects Ranking

http://baltimorespor...ospect-ranking/

• BSLChrisStoner, Hooded Viper and Mackus like this

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Sisco versus Hays is an interesting discussion for the top spot.  The way some national guys have spoken about Hays, I hope this is more of Reggie being high on Sisco than only thinking Hays is a top 50ish guy overall.  I'm high on both, but I think Hays' lack of walks is a bigger red flag than Sisco's lack of power.  I have not seen enough of Sisco defensively to have an opinion on him behind the plate, but that remains a question mark as well.

My only major disagreement would be ranking Chris Lee at all.  A 24 y/o with a 5+ ERA at Norfolk who couldn't even keep his AAA rotation gig is a non-prospect, IMO.  I know he was coming off an injury in 2016, but he never has struck guys out and has always walked guys, a trend which continued even after he started throwing harder and continued through this past season.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

Yea..I would put Wells in and take out Lee.

#4 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

How the hell was Wells not on this list?

#5 ReggieYinger

ReggieYinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Yes, okay. You can add Wells if you want. Great command of his pitches, but tops out at 90 mph on most days. 

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

Yes, okay. You can add Wells if you want. Great command of his pitches, but tops out at 90 mph on most days. 

Right...I don't think he is some great prospect (although I do like that he knows how to pitch) but I do think he has a higher upside than Lee.

No crime in leaving him off of this list though.

#7 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

To each his own.   I don't have Chris Lee in my top 30 but I guess you could make an argument for him somewhere after 20.   Tanner Scott at #5?    He does have upside but what is it?     Right now, he's not even ML quality because of his control and that is still a huge hurdle to overcome.   I think his most likely upside is that of a setup man.    I can't see how someone like that gets rated ahead of Keegan Akin who's floor is probably a lefty setup guy.   Akin's fastball in relief is a few ticks lower but probably mid 90's and he already has a plus slider and control.    Likewise, how can Hunter Harvey be behind Scott?   He came back healthy last year and all reports say the stuff is back.   His upside is that of a ML starter.    I have Scott at #15 on my personal list because his upside (relief) is limited and it's 50/50 that he even reaches that.

I have Sedlock much lower but hey, if his problems can be explained away (he was terrible after his first few starts) by his injuries, I can understand it.   The problem with that is those injuries for a strained flexor mass, and a strained formearm, both precursors to TJ surgery.  I hope he comes back 100% healthy next year and pitches like his draft status suggests but those are two big IFs.

One more thing.   Without a doubt, Mountcastle will begin the year as a 3B.   I know many people assume 2B because of his arm but the next spot if 3B doesn't work out is probably LF.    It seems to me that he doesn't have the range for the MI and that he might become to big for that spot as well.    I realize Jon Schoop is a big guy but apparently Mountcastle does not have the footwork/coordination to pull it off.

1. Austin Hays    (best all around player.  Best bet)
 2. Hunter Harvey 
 3. Ryan Mountcastle   (plate discipline and defensive position are huge question marks)
 4. Chance Sisco   (The bat will really have to jump to make him a regular catcher for years to come)
 5. Cedric Mullins  (great start and then hamstring problems.  Looks like all around player with surprising power)
 6. D.L. Hall   (too soon to tell.   Here because of draft status)
 7. Alex Wells   (amazing numbers. I was not bullish but he stays here until he proves otherwise)
 8. Keegan Akin  

9. Anthony Santander 

10. D.J. Stewart          (a breakout 2nd half in 2016 followed by a breakout 2017)
11. Adam Hall           (only played 2 games but draft status plus reports put him here)
12. Jomar Reyes      (Luster starting to fade but breakout potential for the bat still there)
13. Brenann Hannifee   
14. Ryan McKenna  (breakout 2nd half last year.   A totally different hitter in the 2nd half)
15. Zac Lowther
16. Tanner Scott   (Upside to be a closer but it seems like command/control will always hold him back)
17. Cody Sedlcok   (Good 1st 3 starts.  Health is shadow hanging over him after 2 DL stints for forearm/flexor strains
18. Yefry Ramirez
19. Lucas Long        
20. Cameron Bishop
21. David Hess
22. Adema Rifaela    
23. Matthias Dietz
24. Michael Baumann
25. Jhon Peluffo 
26. Yelin Rodriguez
27. Gray Fenter

28. Jon Means
29. Lamar Sparks
30. Austin Wynns

•  

• McNulty likes this

#8 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

I would put Yefery Rameriez higher, along with Adema Rifelia as well. 

#9 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

I would put Yefery Rameriez higher, along with Adema Rifelia as well. 

How much higher and why?

Frederick's home park is a bit of a band box.   Rifaela had 15 homers and a .942 OPS at home.   9 homers and a .771 OPS on the road.   He's an average corner outfielder defensively with little speed so it's all about the bat.     He might be the real deal but the splits are a red flag for me.

#10 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

How much higher and why?

Frederick's home park is a bit of a band box.   Rifaela had 15 homers and a .942 OPS at home.   9 homers and a .771 OPS on the road.   He's an average corner outfielder defensively with little speed so it's all about the bat.     He might be the real deal but the splits are a red flag for me.

They would both be around my 14 and 15 spots, because Rameierz had a very solid year in AA with both Bowie and Trenton. Could be a starter in 2019. Rifaela is a good hitter, but I think this next year will be a make it or break it year for him in Bowie. I grew up at Harry Grove Stadium lmao, I love that place but it's definately a hitters paradise. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=