DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

I thought the same thing.

Did they poll baseball fans or sports fans?

If they were polling specifically people who identified as sports fans, they would need to mention that or else their results are entirely meaningless. But my guess is that they were doing a sample just like any other (as in a political opinion poll), but the questions themselves related to the World Series.

@DJ_McCann

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Yea, I get that this on people’s mind...I just think it’s dumb.

If you want to “punish” the NFL for past mistakes, that’s one thing (although I still say most of these issues should have been common sense). But now? They have made the game less watchable just so people hopefully don’t have to go through this. They are making the attempt(albeit not because they care about player safety) and people still want to use this as an excuse?

I think it’s weak but hey, to each their own.

It's a lot easier to convince yourself of something, or ignore it, when the truth is being hidden from you. Once it comes out, and you know, it has an effect.

• mweb08 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

Well, way more people go to MLB games than go to NFL games ...  it's something like 80 million for MLB vs. 17 million for NFL...

There is a quick and dirty comparison you can do.

Since MLB has 10x the games, divide the MLB attendance by 10.

Since NFL stadium capacity tends to be ~2x that of MLB parks, divide the NFL attendance by 2.

That gives you 8 million vs. 8.5 million. So, very similar if you look at it that way.

• RShack likes this
@DJ_McCann

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

There is a quick and dirty comparison you can do.

Since MLB has 10x the games, divide the MLB attendance by 10.

Since NFL stadium capacity tends to be ~2x that of MLB parks, divide the NFL attendance by 2.

That gives you 8 million vs. 8.5 million. So, very similar if you look at it that way.

Depends on what you mean when you say "more people" though. Since MLB games are more accessible, the overall audience that attend at least one game is probably much larger for MLB.

• RShack likes this

#45 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Good points and another reason to not take this as MLB is the most popular sport in America. 

"another" reason? 

I wish we could know how many individual people go to a game in each sport.  My guess is that way, way more individual people attend an MLB game than an NFL game...  I would think that NFL season tickets mean that many (most?) attendees go to all/most of the home games, which in turn helps MIN the number of individuals that actually attend any NFL games during a season...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

"another" reason? 

I wish we could know how many individual people go to a game in each sport.  My guess is that way, way more individual people attend an MLB game than an NFL game...  I would think that NFL season tickets mean that many (most?) attendees go to all/most of the home games, which in turn helps MIN the number of individuals that actually attend any NFL games during a season...

Yes, another. I've mentioned several reasons, yet you have only responded to one of them. 

But thanks for that wonderful start to your post.

As far as the issue you have taken up....

Several points:

It's obviously not fair to judge how many people go to games as if it's apples to apples considering the MLB season is just over 10 times as long. 

The ticket price does factor the difference in length of season into the price as the NFL is considerably more expensive than is MLB. 

It's hard to get perfect data on this (at least through a brief search), but it seems that overall MLB and NFL ticket revenue are approximately the same.

That's pretty impressive for a league with less than a tenth of the games, IMO.

Meanwhile, the overall revenue for the NFL last year was 14ish billion compared to MLB at 10ish billion. 

Back to the attendance...comparing attendance vs capacity would favor the NFL by a vast amount, but I'll acknowledge that's not totally fair due to the difference in games played.

It's hard to come to a fair way to judge the NFL to MLB in terms of attendance, but let's be real about something that probably can't be proven by the numbers...

The percentage of people that attend an MLB game primarily to seriously watch the actual game is much lower than it is for NFL games. 

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

It's a lot easier to convince yourself of something, or ignore it, when the truth is being hidden from you. Once it comes out, and you know, it has an effect.

Ignorance is bliss. 

People in general did not think about the long-term effects on people's brains before the CTE info started becoming prevalent. 

Some still don't, but I admit to doing so. 

That impacts my level of enjoyment. 

Yet, I still watch the NFL, just not with the same fervor that I once did. 

#48 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Yes, another. I've mentioned several reasons, yet you have only responded to one of them. 

But thanks for that wonderful start to your post.

Well, I just went back and re-read each one of your posts in this thread... and I couldn't find several reasons... what did I miss?

As for the remainder of this post that I didn't quote, what does any of that have to do with popularity?   Baseball fans who go to games don't count if their attention wanders?   

And what does overall revenue have to do with fan favorites?   I will certainly agree that the NFL structure makes it a smarter business, but that's not the question, is it?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

Also only 1,121 people participated. Thats barely enough of a sample. Even a simple ESPN poll of Who will win the MNF game drew 42,000+ votes. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Well, I just went back and re-read each one of your posts in this thread... and I couldn't find several reasons... what did I miss?

As for the remainder of this post that I didn't quote, what does any of that have to do with popularity?   Baseball fans who go to games don't count if their attention wanders?   

And what does overall revenue have to do with fan favorites?   I will certainly agree that the NFL structure makes it a smarter business, but that's not the question, is it?

I'm not playing this game with you.

Go ahead and believe that MLB is now the most popular sport in America based on one survey if you want to.  

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

My level of NFL enjoyment has gone down over the years, but CTE has nothing to do with it. 

End of the day, sports is a product that the fans consume. It has to be a good product, and lately it hasn't been. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

Also only 1,121 people participated. Thats barely enough of a sample. Even a simple ESPN poll of Who will win the MNF game drew 42,000+ votes. 

That's how polling works.

@DJ_McCann

#53 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

That's how polling works.

No shit. But a poll of 1,000 people out of 300 million is weak. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

My level of NFL enjoyment has gone down over the years, but CTE has nothing to do with it. 

End of the day, sports is a product that the fans consume. It has to be a good product, and lately it hasn't been. 

Yeah, CTE in and of itself isn't really on my list. The NFL's attempt to cover it up left a bad taste with me. But now that it's out in the open, and current players are well aware of it versus what little was understood before, then it's their own conscious choice to take the risk....and as we've seen, some have made the choice to walk away during, or even before their prime.

End of the day, I just don't think the overall product is as entertaining anymore, and I'm not willing to accommodate 3+ hours out of a day, or a day off of a weekend to sit and watch it.

*I still do like and watch college football, so to watch that and NFL means a whole weekend. So I guess for me it just came down to a choice, and I chose college. And back to the CTE point, head trauma and the cumulative affect of the repeated impact is probably just as great at the college level as it is in the pros.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

No shit. But a poll of 1,000 people out of 300 million is weak. 

That's a totally reasonable sample size.  I don't know how they picked who they polled or what questions they asked, and either of those things could invalidate the poll, but the sample size is A-ok.

#56 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Wouldn't ESPN creating a poll on the website of which sport is your favorite, and having 40000+ votes be better?
@BSLMikeRandall

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

I can't believe this is even a discussion. Lol.
@BSLMikeRandall

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

The bigger issue is that it's just one poll.

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

Wouldn't ESPN creating a poll on the website of which sport is your favorite, and having 40000+ votes be better?

Not really. At least those 1,100 people were screened (presumably) to fit into the sample that you were looking for. And each of them voted only once. With an ESPN poll, how many losers with no life vote 50 times by clearing their browser data just so they can say they "won?"

• Mackus and Mark Carver like this

#60 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

^^^^^^

There's also a lot of other things that could distort the poll results. Like where on ESPN's website do you place the poll? Is it close to or contained in NFL content, or MLB content? What time of year do you do it? If it's the end of March, you probably get a lot more people going to ESPN.com looking for MLB content with Opening Day coming. Same goes for NFL if you do it in January during the playoffs.

• Mackus and RShack like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=