1185 replies to this topic

#101 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

Oshie scored for the first time in 18 games, how's the first year of that 8 year deal working out, ugh.

USA! USA! USA!

@BSLMikeRandall

#102 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

Oshie scored for the first time in 18 games, how's the first year of that 8 year deal working out, ugh.

Breathe...he's still battling through a concussion recovery. Next season he will pop back. (And probably in the playoffs if I had to guess).

The tricky part about the NHL's injury guidelines is that you don't have to disclose much of anything, so you see a guy out for 2 weeks, comes back and then has an awful year and it's like THIS GUY IS THE WORRRRRST. But when you find out after the season that it was like a groin injury, which we all know linger long after they are back playing, or a concussion or something, it's like OHHHHH, yeah I guess that could explain some things.

I mean for me, I don't care what they do right now as long as they make the playoffs, that's when the real season starts. We've seen the opposite a few times and no one has been happy cause they didn't win the 2nd season.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#103 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Breathe...he's still battling through a concussion recovery. Next season he will pop back. (And probably in the playoffs if I had to guess).

The tricky part about the NHL's injury guidelines is that you don't have to disclose much of anything, so you see a guy out for 2 weeks, comes back and then has an awful year and it's like THIS GUY IS THE WORRRRRST. But when you find out after the season that it was like a groin injury, which we all know linger long after they are back playing, or a concussion or something, it's like OHHHHH, yeah I guess that could explain some things.

I mean for me, I don't care what they do right now as long as they make the playoffs, that's when the real season starts. We've seen the opposite a few times and no one has been happy cause they didn't win the 2nd season.

Yeah, I was just venting.  I knew it had been a while since he scored I was just shocked to see that it was as long as it is.  I remember when he got the concussion, never heard that was partially the problem with him.  And if he's going to get back on track this is certainly the time to do it.

I've been thinking about this alot too.  It will be interesting to see how it plays it with the Caps having to play the whole season and not coast into the playoffs.  I've seen a few numbers thrown out about the defense being better lately (shot totals) have been down under 30 a game which is a big improvement.  So I guess will find out if they've been biding their time for the playoffs.  Can't wait to find out.  Still have to make the playoffs (which they should)  Currently in first in the division but only 7 points away from being out of the playoffs! :eek:

• You Play to Win the Game and Dupin like this

#104 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, I was just venting.  I knew it had been a while since he scored I was just shocked to see that it was as long as it is.  I remember when he got the concussion, never heard that was partially the problem with him.  And if he's going to get back on track this is certainly the time to do it.

I've been thinking about this alot too.  It will be interesting to see how it plays it with the Caps having to play the whole season and not coast into the playoffs.  I've seen a few numbers thrown out about the defense being better lately (shot totals) have been down under 30 a game which is a big improvement.  So I guess will find out if they've been biding their time for the playoffs.  Can't wait to find out.  Still have to make the playoffs (which they should)  Currently in first in the division but only 7 points away from being out of the playoffs! :eek:

Yeah I know, don't worry. I've thought about it a few times myself, but concussions are a messy thing, and will definitely make production ebb and flow through a guys career. You may not see it until the end of their careers, but go back and look at guys over the long term and you'll see ups and downs like that. I guess I'm just used to it since I've been watching since I was little.

Hard to say if it'll be better or worse...I feel like seeds don't matter once the playoffs start. There's a good chunk of parity, to your point of being 7 out of the playoffs. They can't really afford a major slump, but hoping it'll work out in the end.

@JeremyMStrain

#105 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

And Kuzy takes a slash to the wrist right before the end of the second period.  Out for the rest of the game, hopefully just precautionary.  Would really suck to lose him at this point in the season.

#106 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

And Kuzy takes a slash to the wrist right before the end of the second period.  Out for the rest of the game, hopefully just precautionary.  Would really suck to lose him at this point in the season.

Yeah that one has me really worried. I think he's the lynchpin we have to any success in the playoffs. Teams know how to clamp down on a team's top line, so seeing those underperform in the playoffs is normal, but a team's second or third line is where playoff series are won. Losing him really would sting.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#107 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Have you heard any kind of update?

It's weird I was just thinking how the Caps have dodged any major injuries this season. Would hate for that to change. Muah has been playing great too.

#108 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Have you heard any kind of update?

It's weird I was just thinking how the Caps have dodged any major injuries this season. Would hate for that to change. Muah has been playing great too.

Just that he's probably out tonight, which I'm taking as bad news. The way they've been rotating in players, his replacement is already on the roster, so there's no relief coming, just have to hope guys like Vrana and Oshie step it up, and that it's a couple week thing vs an end of the season thing. Those injuries tend to be some of the worst in hockey though :/

@JeremyMStrain

#109 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Well they dropped the Sunday matinee to the Flyers.   Good news on the Kuzy front though, Trotz expects him back before the playoffs start.  They won't say specifically what the injury is only "upper body" (duh), but they categorized it as day to day which is much better than week to week.   How fortunate have the Caps been on the injury front,  all 4 centers had been in the lineup from October 26 onward.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#110 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,281 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

Washington Post: Ten games before the playoffs, Capitals' lingering

#111 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

Last nights Caps-Rags game was great television.  NY came to play despite being eliminated from the Playoffs.  With Lundquist back in net this game had a playoff feel to it.   

Couple of observations, Oshie seems to be on a roll and rounding into form nicely which would be a big help in the playoffs.  Kuzy is back and appears to be no worse for wear from his injury.  He had the GWG in overtime. 

Holtby looked really good in goal last night,  for the past month or so I've wanted Grubauer to get the nod in the playoffs but last night was the first time in a while where I would be fine with Holtby, he looked locked in.   On a related note, during the first intemission one of the analysts (this game was on NPCSports) who was partnered up with Keith Jones said that the Caps were lucky to tie it up late in the 1st period as it would be good for Holtby's psyche as he reffered to him as "fragile".  I call BS on that myself, clearly Holtby has been having a down year but I don't buy that any of that is a mental thing with him.

Finally, during the 2nd intermission they had a writer from NHL.com on air to talk about Carlson.  He's estimating 7-8 million a year for a contract for Carlson!  I know he's been great but even I was shocked by that number, guess that's what happens when you put up a career year in your contract year and are still only 28.   I'm not sure if/how they can afford that number but I hope Carlson will still be around next year.

#112 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

Caps with the division clinching win tonight in Pittsburgh no less!  Caught the last two periods of this one, damn entertaining game!  I'll chime in with a few more thoughts on this one tomorrow but I just wanted to say F yeah for the W tonight!

• Dupin likes this

#113 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:49 AM

So damn this game was good, but when is Pens-Caps not a good game?  Pens came into this one trailing the Caps by 3 points in the Standings and still with a possibility to pass the Caps for the division title.  So an already heated rivalry with added stakes made for great Hockey.

First and formeost  was Grubauer!  Dude was a stud all night long.  I think it's telling that in a critical showdown with the Pens that Trotz went to Grubauer and he delivered.  Finished with 36 saves on the night.  He was money in the second period when the Caps had to kill off an extended 5-3 against the top PP unit in the league.  This was huge as the Caps were only up 1-0 at the time.  Even better was his sick glove save on Crosby in the 3rd period.  Holtby has been better lately but for now I think you have to go with Grubauer in Game 1, he's earned it with his play down the stretch and in the game against the Pens.

It was nice to see secondary scoring from Oshie, Orlov and Tom Wilson who had an insane deflection goal early in the 3rd period.  This was impressive and opening up the lead to 3 early in the 3rd period really allowed the Caps to clamp down.

I said it early in the year and watching last night it's almost a given that these two teams will play again in the second round of the playoffs and that would make for damn good hockey.  Both teams were going at it last night and I want to see more (playoff past be damned).

I know the division title doesn't "mean" much but Trotz and the team should be commended for their performance.  This team had a lot of turnover in the summer and there was some uncertainty heading into the season.  Well here we are in April and the Caps are right back  to where they want to be.   Caps have had to work at it the whole season and haven't been able to coast into the playoffs, on top of that they have been flying under the radar a bit.   All the talk is Vegas, Nashville, TB and Boston maybe. I'm looking forward to seeing how that effects the team if any come playoff time.  The Caps have been playing better down the stretch and they have a young  goalie who's on a roll.  I'm not making any predictions but I'll be watching!!

#114 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

The only thing missing was Doc Emerick

The best clips are in the last 3 or so minutes where you get the Wilson goal and the sick Grubauer save on Crosby.

#115 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

This is exactly what I've been hoping for though. Playoffs is playoffs. Everyone has the same chance of winning, and without as much pressure, maybe that will help things. The goalies are starting to hit their stride, Grubs is putting on a show just in time to be a BIG trade chip in the offseason. Already called dibs on the stanley cup series home tickets...you know...just in case.

@JeremyMStrain

#116 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

This is exactly what I've been hoping for though. Playoffs is playoffs. Everyone has the same chance of winning, and without as much pressure, maybe that will help things. The goalies are starting to hit their stride, Grubs is putting on a show just in time to be a BIG trade chip in the offseason. Already called dibs on the stanley cup series home tickets...you know...just in case.

They've been rounding into form nicely.  I'm a bit annoyed that the FO is sorta leaving Trotz out on an island though.

#117 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

They've been rounding into form nicely.  I'm a bit annoyed that the FO is sorta leaving Trotz out on an island though.

Anything short of a cup and he's out I think. Reirden is going to get the job. I don't know why they are ok with just moving on aside from maybe keeping a young in house coach for longer, or if there's something behind the scenes we don't know, but I'm like 99% sure he's getting the job in some way, shape or form.

@JeremyMStrain

#118 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

So with the division wrapped up, the question remaining is who do the Caps play in the first round.  Standings are bunched up but the Caps could play the Pens, Blue Jackets, Devils or Flyers in the first round.  Most likely we are looking at either NJ or Phi.

#119 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

Playoff Hockey!  Are there two better words out there, maybe free beer but it's close.

The second season is upon us!

Caps-Bluejackets in Round 1, let's go!

Dates and times for the first round series

GM1 (H) Thursday, April 12th @730

GM2 (H)  Sunday, April 15th @730 

GM3 (A) Tuesday, April 17th  @730

GM4 (A) Thursday,  April 19th @730

GM5 (H) Saturday, April 21st 

GM6 (A)  Monday, April 23rd

GM7 (H)  Wednesday, April 25th

Yeah, yeah we've all been here before but damn if I'm still not excited.  I'll admit it, took me a while to get over last seasons playoff loss but I did and I'm ready to go.   Kudos should be give to Trotz and the team, with all the turnover and playoff grief another trip to the playoffs wasn't a given but they made it. 

This team has had to work at it and wasn't able to coast into the playoffs.  Having to fight the whole way to make the playoffs they are arguably playing their best hockey of the year, add to that lowered expectations and I'm curious to see if this leads to something different.

We have a young goalie who is on a roll could that be the missing ingredient?  Even if Grubauer stumbles we have Holtby  ready to go.

Round 1 is against the BlueJackets  and their pleasant coach John Tortorella .  This won't be an easy matchup but I'm saying Caps in 6 and then most likely another second round matchup against the Pens.

For those that can't get over last and prior years failure take heed from Kylo Ren:   "Let the past die, kill it if you have to"   Okay that's pretty corny but don't let the past prevent you from enjoying a potential playoff run.

#120 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

Peaking at the right time is key, to which you alluded; we've seen the best happen too early so often in the past. A change would be welcome.

• DuffMan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=