https://www.behindth...ap-analysis-nfl

#2 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

Has there been a more anti-climatic Ravens Steelers game in recent years? Flag stuff, particularly surrounding the Steelers. Ravens getting pummelled and really taking the wind out of the sails of the fans with nothing on film or tape to even talk about it feels like this week it was such a bully beat down. 

If both teams were 3-0 this game would be billed as the game of the week. It should still be a good one, IMO. 

Excited for this game, going to be in Vegas for the weekend. Though, I don't really like ever betting on my own team. Feels like asking for double the pain. 

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

Pitt opened at -2.5 and it's been pushed up to -3. Telling considering how close we usually play each other. If the adage is true that home field is worth 3 points then you are looking at -6 on a neutral field and -9 @Pitt.

#4 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

Pitt opened at -2.5 and it's been pushed up to -3. Telling considering how close we usually play each other. If the adage is true that home field is worth 3 points then you are looking at -6 on a neutral field and -9 @Pitt.

There is zero faith in the Ravens in Vegas right now, and they don't really deserve it. The money line is only at +135 when I saw it last. That could be a more interesting bet than -2.5 or -3 if you ask me. 

I think we'll see an aggressive Ravens approach on offense this week. I'd think about giving Rex a call if Pees lays an egg again this week if I'm John. Be the bigger man, go get a smart defensive mind that will use all this secondary talent. (I know this would NEVER happen). 

#5 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

The defense has a tough task even though the Steelers offense is yet to hit it's stride. 

I don't have faith that the offense can put together a gameplan that works even if the defense can slow down the Steelers. 

@gabefergy

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

The Bears ran all over the Steelers. Can the Ravens do the same?

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

Both of the Steelers starting safeties are in jeopardy of missing the game and even if they are healthy, how effective will they be?

Hopefully Watson is able to play to help exploit that.

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Total in the game is 42. Really low but may still take the under.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Total in the game is 42. Really low but may still take the under.

I think the defense gets back on track a bit but I don't think the offense is going to do much. I'd still take the under.

I don't think both teams are hitting 20. If it's over 42 it's likely because one team scored 27+ points. If a team scores 27+ in this game it's probably the Steelers.

#10 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

Steelers D has been really good against the pass this year too. Is Watt supposed to play? 

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Steelers D has been really good against the pass this year too. Is Watt supposed to play? 

Sounded like him and Truitt would be back.

Of course, they played Keenan/Glennon/Kizer so far.  

If people are going to use that argument against the Ravens (although Dalton and Bortles are better), you have to use it against Pitt as well.

• Mike in STL likes this

#12 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Fair enough. Though Keenum lit up Tampa...but I'm not anointing them anything. Just saying it could be a struggle. 

The one other thing to mention about Joe is that the Jags seemed to have figured something out about him. Who knows what it is, but the Steelers kind of have Joe's number to a degree too. So that combined with a solid performance from the defense so far, could spell trouble for our passing offense. 

I'd like Joe to step it up and start chucking it around some deep, but I am to a degree in the minority on that. 

I do think in Jacksonville the run game didn't look bad and we gave up on it a bit too soon, but score and situation kind of dictated some weird situations in that game. 

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

If you can't prove you can beat a guy 20+ yards down the field teams won't respect it. You can blame it on the QB, OL, RB, or WR. Take your pick but it's irrelevant how much blame should go on each unit. The bottom line is you are going to have 10 or even 11 defenders pushed closer to the LOS until you start completing balls down the field or forcing PIs down the field. You need to stretch the field.

BTW how many PIs have our receivers drawn this year? Can't be mnany

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

If you can't prove you can beat a guy 20+ yards down the field teams won't respect it. You can blame it on the QB, OL, RB, or WR. Take your pick but it's irrelevant how much blame should go on each unit. The bottom line is you are going to have 10 or even 11 defenders pushed closer to the LOS until you start completing balls down the field or forcing PIs down the field. You need to stretch the field.

BTW how many PIs have our receivers drawn this year? Can't be mnany

1) You are totally right about the blame...its everyone's fault and pointing fingers ultimately gets you to the same place.

2) The one thing I will say is that what you are describing is how NE wins games and has been winning games.  They have proven you can do that.  I know, Joe isn't Brady but still, its the same concept.

#15 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

2) The one thing I will say is that what you are describing is how NE wins games and has been winning games.  They have proven you can do that.  I know, Joe isn't Brady but still, its the same concept.

But our scheme is such a micorcosm of theirs. Brady makes about 15 throws a game that any QB can make and it has nothing to do with respecting him, and everything to do with the Pats outsmarting their opponents. He has 4 throws a game to WIDE open receivers. When's the last time you saw that from Joe, maybe the Maclin play, but we need to do more of that. 

What makes the Pats offense tick is that every play is setting you up for the next play, while also taking advantage of you adjusting to do what you did the prior play. And they wear you out because they keep you on the field and they over expose coordinators who don't have a deep enough playbook or adjustments to handle 70 snaps in a game. 

That being said, under terrible offensive line play, Brady drove down the field made some huge throws into coverage under serious duress in the end of the Houston game. When Houston knew he was going to be throwing (though they were gassed). Joe hasn't shown the ability to do that either. 

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

But our scheme is such a micorcosm of theirs. Brady makes about 15 throws a game that any QB can make and it has nothing to do with respecting him, and everything to do with the Pats outsmarting their opponents. He has 4 throws a game to WIDE open receivers. When's the last time you saw that from Joe, maybe the Maclin play, but we need to do more of that. 

What makes the Pats offense tick is that every play is setting you up for the next play, while also taking advantage of you adjusting to do what you did the prior play. And they wear you out because they keep you on the field and they over expose coordinators who don't have a deep enough playbook or adjustments to handle 70 snaps in a game. 

That being said, under terrible offensive line play, Brady drove down the field made some huge throws into coverage under serious duress in the end of the Houston game. When Houston knew he was going to be throwing (though they were gassed). Joe hasn't shown the ability to do that either. 

I agree...I am just saying that what the Pats do contradicts Branden's point...and Branden isn't even wrong.

Just saying that teams are doing the short passing game and are successful with it.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

Brady is much better than Flacco. That goes without saying. Let's go ahead and say you're right about NE getting a number of throws every game that any QB could complete. My question would be how many times is Brady the one who gets them into the right play against that defense. The ability to get into a favorable look at the LOS is such a huge advantage. Successfully managing a game at the LOS is one of the first things I'd look for from any potential QB. They all can throw, they all have decent enough accuracy. Reading the defense post snap is obviously important too. But can you get your offense into a better play if the one the OC called doesn't look like it's favorable against the defensive call you think you're about to get.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

Brady is much better than Flacco. That goes without saying. Let's go ahead and say you're right about NE getting a number of throws every game that any QB could complete. My question would be how many times is Brady the one who gets them into the right play against that defense. The ability to get into a favorable look at the LOS is such a huge advantage. Successfully managing a game at the LOS is one of the first things I'd look for from any potential QB. They all can throw, they all have decent enough accuracy. Reading the defense post snap is obviously important too. But can you get your offense into a better play if the one the OC called doesn't look like it's favorable against the defensive call you think you're about to get.

Not only that...A lot of QBs can complete that pass...but not all of them put that pass, on a consistent basis, in a spot where the receiver can get YAC.

#19 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

It's a great question. The Pats are much more of a scheme and concept group though. They use their sets and positions to allow Brady to make better reads than Flacco. They use motion to set those things up. There is little doubt in my mind that a Flacco raised under Bill Belicheck would be a far better one than the one we've got. 

Brady is great and he does make reads and audibles that impact games that Joe doesn't make. But I'm willing to be there are 100 yards of passing that are the play call that's set before the game that isn't checked or audibled that go for big downs in Pats games regularly. 

He makes that system better, but I wonder if you put Brady in our offense right now, how much better it would really be. They are miles ahead of us in talent and scheme (even minus Edelman) it's not even funny. 

#20 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

More than anything, this is what has kept Flacco from going to a slightly above average QB in his career, to becoming a good to great one. He has every physical skill needed. And he has the intelligence. But he doesn't have that desire and work ethic off the field that guys like Brady and Manning had. He can be fooled at the line. He can be tricked by coverages.

I've always liked Flacco. He's by far the best QB this franchise (Ravens, not including the Colts) has seen. But the above is what keeps him from becoming a legend. With that said, he knows Pittsburgh. He'll come in ready to play. I expect a stereotypical Steelers vs Ravens game. I'm gonna say the Steelers steal this one from us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=