Photo

What Surgeries Have You Had? What Ailments Do You Have?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

Update? My dad has had bulging and ruptured disc issues in the past, and what you described as far as the pain made me think of his problems, because sciatic nerve issues came with all that.

I did the prednisone dose pack last week and it alleviated the pain somewhat but not completely. It has gotten a bit better, just a constant soreness now, little shooting pain like there was before. Just taking Aleve as needed, icing it when I can, stretching, etc. We'll see what happens. I really don't feel like kicking out $500 for an MRI.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

I'm dealing with lower back, sciatic pain now too.

It's not debilitating, but it's uncomfortable enough that I am going to the chiropractor this week to get an adjustment.

If that doesn't work I'll be asking for those steroids. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

I'm dealing with lower back, sciatic pain now too.

It's not debilitating, but it's uncomfortable enough that I am going to the chiropractor this week to get an adjustment.

If that doesn't work I'll be asking for those steroids. 

Shit man that sucks.

I still have it. The steroids helped on day 1, otherwise, it only alleviated the discomfort and pain. I am still taking the meloxicam, it helps alleviate the pain too but it's always there. Thankfully it has gotten to a point where I can deal with it but I don't know if it will go away on its own. I am going to consider getting an MRI to pinpoint the problem but it's  expensive. Acupuncture might also be an option.

Advil/Aleve/meloxicam/etc...they help to a point and then I have to consider how much I am drinking, which sucks.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

Exercise guys...I am telling you, that is your best way to get rid of it.

DO NOT have surgery!

#25 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

DO NOT have surgery!

What sort of exercise?  Stretching?  Running?  Walking?  Lifting weights?  Anything?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

DO NOT have surgery!

I have been exercising.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

What sort of exercise?  Stretching?  Running?  Walking?  Lifting weights?  Anything?

Not lifting...Cardio stuff...walking, treadmill, elliptical...that type of thing.

It may take some time but that is your best way to alleviate it.

Chiro didn't do anything for me(not that it can't for you)...Physical therapy did a little more but still not a ton.  

Time is really the way it corrects itself but exercise is a big thing.  

Only thing that worked for me was ibuprofen...that helped with the discomfort but it's just a band aid.

#28 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Stretching has helped some, and ice helps too. But you have to stay on top of it to have it help.

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

Stretching has helped some, and ice helps too. But you have to stay on top of it to have it help.

Ahh yes, forgot about the ice.  I would ice my back several times a day.  Literally anytime I drove, I had an ice pack on my back.  

It was a miserable 2 years.

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

Ahh yes, forgot about the ice.  I would ice my back several times a day.  Literally anytime I drove, I had an ice pack on my back.  

It was a miserable 2 years.

Was there something that you think caused it?

I don't know what caused mine. I felt it in Spain when I was walking around, at first a twinge, and then it progressively got worse.

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

Was there something that you think caused it?

I don't know what caused mine. I felt it in Spain when I was walking around, at first a twinge, and then it progressively got worse.

It first happened carrying a drunk girl out of seacrets.  I just picked her up incorrectly (I guess) and felt it then.

It bothered me for a little bit after that and had some issues off and on but it went away.

It acted up again on my honeymoon flight home..long flight, guess i was sitting/laying awkwardly?

And then dealt with it for 2 years.

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Staying active is definitely a key to loosening that back up. I had the sciatic pain. 20 visits to the chiropractor did nothing but burn a hole in my wallet. I was under the impression that for a bulging disc, chiropractic care would fix it, as in not bulging or pressing on the nerves anymore. It doesn't. I would get it from long periods of sitting down. I had a seasonal job once of driving a truck for about 8 hours a day. Sitting like that for that long, and doing some heavy lifting upon deliveries is I think what caused it. So sitting on the couch or riding in the car was unbearable. When I started getting up and about more, doing light cardio, just walking even, I would notice that I could be pain free for the rest of the day. 

When it would linger I went to my doctor about the laser surgery stuff you might have seen commercials for. She didn't even know it existed. I got an MRI, showed that about 5 discs in my lower back are all jacked up. Basically it's live with it, or actual surgery. And she doesn't know looking at it how I'm living with it. Just being a little active keeps the soreness away and keeps the muscles loose. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

My ailments beside the bulging discs...

High blood pressure as long as I can ever remember, been sticking to pills for the last five years.

High uric acid levels that trigger mild gout for a few days a few times a year. 

Kidney stones, 2 of those in the last 4 years.

Epilepsy (by definition) but I'm 2 years and a month seizure free.

Obesity. Wish I could keep the weight off. Not a lot. Just some. I'm 6'2", and a slice of pizza away from 300lbs. When I weigh 280, I feel great. I sleep well, I don't snore, I don't get heartburn, I feel focused. When I push 300, which is always this time of year because I make excuses for holiday binging, travel, more eating out, too cold to be outside doing things...Its now that I feel the opposite of all those. Can't sleep, miss my alarm clock, lack focus, feel achy and sick half the time, half my clothes don't fit. Then I'll be more active in the warmer months and get to 275. Only to waste it all next holiday/cold season. I think if I lived in a warmer place I would be a healthier weight because I wouldn't hibernate like I do here.

@BSLMikeRandall

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,972 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

High blood pressure as long as I can ever remember, been sticking to pills for the last five years.

High uric acid levels that trigger mild gout for a few days a few times a year.

I've got both of these, too!  Medication seems to control both very well.  Haven't had any gout issues (which for years I thought was occasional turf toe!) in the 8-9 months since I was properly diagnosed and got on medication.  Haven't had any really high blood pressure readings in the several years since I've been on pills for that.

#35 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

Insomnia for me. 

Been on Ambien for a while now, it works about 75% of the time. I get about 5-6 hours of sleep on a "good night". Anyone else have sleeping issues? 

@beginthebegin71

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Used to have some trouble falling asleep, but I think it was more mental and motion related than anything. Might have had a slight case of vertigo.

• SBTarheel likes this

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Insomnia for me.

Been on Ambien for a while now, it works about 75% of the time. I get about 5-6 hours of sleep on a "good night". Anyone else have sleeping issues?

I did, but used CPAP therapy for a year and discovered the insomnia healing powers of a nice Indica strain of cannabis, and now I sleep like a baby again. Don't snore anymore either. Medically legal in Maryland, and more effective for insomnia than Ambien. Granddaddy Purple, Monster Cookies or Gorilla Glue #4 should do the trick.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#38 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

I did, but used CPAP therapy for a year and discovered the insomnia healing powers of a nice Indica strain of cannabis, and now I sleep like a baby again. Don't snore anymore either. Medically legal in Maryland, and more effective for insomnia than Ambien. Granddaddy Purple, Monster Cookies or Gorilla Glue #4 should do the trick.

I'm going to the Doc on February 6th or something, I'll see if he recommends. 

@beginthebegin71

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

I'm going to the Doc on February 6th or something, I'll see if he recommends.

The cool thing, if you're not into the stigma of it, is they have all kinds of discreet topical options, specifically for insomnia that are super effective. CBD also helps with insomnia, isn't psychoactive at all and is already legal. Worth considering as an option as well in the meantime. Yes, I love getting ripped, I'm not going to lie. But the medicinal benefits are definitely legitimate and has helped regulate my A1C, GERD, insomnia, stress, anxiety and depression (still working on those last two).

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Then again, insomnia always reminds me of season 3 of The West Wing when President Bartlet couldn't sleep after being confronted by Toby about his father. Often times insomnia is psychological.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=