Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Only going to get worse.

No Rodgers. No OBJ. Who else will go down this week? Someone is bound to get hurt.

Couple that with the political crap, and you've got a powder keg unlike anything the NFL has ever seen before.

I feel bad for the PSL holders, like myself, people who fell for the NFL money scheme when the game was at its peak, shelling out good money just to have the right to purchase season tickets. Yeah, it can appreciate in value, but right now, these things are absolutely worthless. So does someone who is fed up with the NFL and doesnt want to support it anymore just give up their season tickets and forfeit the PSL? Do I sell it for pennies on the dollar, and that's if I can even sell it at all. I guess that's another reason why the NFL wanted PSLs in the first place, to entrap fans like me, who don't want give away something they spent thousands of dollars for, and will keep spending money just to not lose the money they spent on PSLs in the first place.

A fucking racket, plain and simple.

I think many are reaching the decision that the PSL's  are spent money and are letting them lapse.  The man who sat next to me for 18 years tried to sell  the PSL and couldn't.  He let the ticket lapse.  

The Ravens  actually called me to see if I wanted it.  

@mikeghg

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

Only going to get worse.

No Rodgers. No OBJ. Who else will go down this week? Someone is bound to get hurt.

Couple that with the political crap, and you've got a powder keg unlike anything the NFL has ever seen before.

I feel bad for the PSL holders, like myself, people who fell for the NFL money scheme when the game was at its peak, shelling out good money just to have the right to purchase season tickets. Yeah, it can appreciate in value, but right now, these things are absolutely worthless. So does someone who is fed up with the NFL and doesnt want to support it anymore just give up their season tickets and forfeit the PSL? Do I sell it for pennies on the dollar, and that's if I can even sell it at all. I guess that's another reason why the NFL wanted PSLs in the first place, to entrap fans like me, who don't want give away something they spent thousands of dollars for, and will keep spending money just to not lose the money they spent on PSLs in the first place.

A fucking racket, plain and simple.

Rodgers, OBJ. Don't forget JJ Watt. 

I'm going to the Texans game and while it's better for the Ravens that he's out, part of me is upset I won't get to see Watt play. One of those guys you tell stories about seeing to the grandkids one day.

@BSLMikeRandall

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

So glad I sold mine in 2012.

@fuzydunlop

#24 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

The killing of the golden goose... local TV is down.

• There are six time-related viewing windows the NFL measures every week. Through six weeks, the NFL’s ratings were down in 22 of 36 windows.

• The NFL’s average household rating is currently 25.1, down from 26.9 over the same period last year, and the 28.1-28.7 range where it sat from 2013-15.

• Twenty-five of 31 teams (excluding the Chargers, because of the move) are drawing lower local numbers than they did in 2016. Nineteen have dropped 5 percent or more, including brand name teams like the Cowboys (7% drop), Patriots (8%) and Steelers (6%), and both New York clubs (the Giants are down 7%, the Jets are down 37%).  Conversely, only three teams (Chiefs, Bucs, Lions) have improved by more than 5 percent.

• Digital streaming numbers are improving, but not at the rate that TV numbers are falling. ESPN counts the stream crowd as 3 percent of its viewership of Monday Night Football, which is the best of all the game-carrying networks.

https://www.si.com/n...rs-meeting-mmqb

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#25 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Are they sure everybody isn't just watching the Red Zone channel?

• NewMarketSean likes this

#26 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Rams are 5-2. Wonder if those seats start filling up.

@BSLMikeRandall

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:08 AM

Last year it was the election. This year it's the protests. Next year it will be something else. I'm sure those things are partly responsible, but I gradually began tuning the NFL out before then, and I couldn't care less about the politics. I just don't think the product is very enjoyable anymore. And there are a lot of little reasons for that, such that I don't know if it can easily be fixed. But they should at least acknowledge that I'm probably not alone in thinking that, or they could have big trouble down the road.

• BobPhelan and Icterus galbula like this

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

CNN Money: Yes, the NFL's TV ratings are down, but so is the rest of network television

Good points here, although I think the more competitive environment in entertainment just shines a brighter light on the NFL's need to improve its product.

Through week seven, the NFL is down 5% overall from the same point last year. That's a troubling drop for the biggest ratings powerhouse on TV, but it seems less dire when you consider that the four major networks are down an average 8% in prime time.

The NFL's sluggish viewership may be less a symptom of the league's problems and more about what's happening in the TV environment overall. The landscape has become incredibly fragmented, thanks to a flood of programming and competition from streaming services and from the internet, not to mention a 24-hour news cycle that comes with a breathtaking amount of content. Television, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are all vying for the same eyeballs, and there are no signs that the deluge of programming will ebb any time soon.

• Icterus galbula likes this

#29 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

https://www.theatlan...rotests/541173/

#30 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Having just went to a game, I thought it was an awful experience in person.  It's a bunch of moronic drunks spewing dumb shit and getting violent for 3-4 hours.  It's a much better sport on TV.

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

I was there. Looked like 10-15K empty seats. Actually filled in a bit more during the first Q. So it wasn't as bad as I expected. 60K for a losing team on TNF isn't horrible.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I was there. Looked like 10-15K empty seats. Actually filled in a bit more during the first Q. So it wasn't as bad as I expected. 60K for a losing team on TNF isn't horrible.

I got there around 7:30 PM and the place was basically empty.  People were still coming in at 9 PM.

My section had a lot of different faces.  I talked to a guy who said he got a 92 dollar seat for 40 bucks on one of them ticket agencies.  I think many people took advantage of the cheap prices.   

@mikeghg

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Ravens fans seem to be the most pissed about the protests but maybe I am wrong about that.

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

I went last night -- paid $35 for a $75 seat.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

Empty seats at home as well...

http://www.espn.com/...7-compared-2016

SI on why this is overstated: 

https://www.si.com/e...anthem-protests

#36 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

Honestly, I think Reddit streams are a huge portion of the ratings. Every out of market fan under 40 at least knows about it.

@fuzydunlop

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Honestly, I think Reddit streams are a huge portion of the ratings. Every out of market fan under 40 at least knows about it.

Got a good one for the Terps game?

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

This is the first I have heard about it. I’m never on that site though.

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

So the Ravens just called me and I was selected as a PSL reward program to be on the field when the team comes out for the 12/23 game. Taking my dad to that game so I think that'll be a cool experience. Not sure if the Ravens have always done this...probably have...but it's pretty cool to do this kind of thing as the NFL is shedding fans...especially fans who come to the games/PSL owners.

• BSLChrisStoner and JordanKough like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Went ahead and bought two PSLs for $500 each. These were a lot more expensive a few years ago.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=