Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Found this interesting.

I know the NFL is concerned about attendance, but this is ridiculous.

.http://www.msn.com/e...ocid=spartanntp

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

The league cares because between the whole CTE issue and the drop in ratings last year, this is just an additional piece to a narrative that the NFL is in long-term trouble.

Now, the owners don't care, because they are making their money through TV, and most of their ticket sales revenue is from corporate sales. But, if this really IS a symptom of a deeper and growing problem, when those TV contracts come up in a few years a lot of those owners are going to get one hell of a surprise. And how many of those corporations are going to have a negative reaction to the narrative and start jumping ship?

I don't think this matters much right now. All it really suggests is that the 49ers, Rams and Chargers are run by incompetent people, which we already knew. But it is worth keeping an eye on.

@DJ_McCann

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

I saw the empty seats. It was shocking. The games are expensive to attend. That's it. Tickets, parking, food and beer, it's a racket. But this is a league designed to separate you from your money at every step so that's not going to change. Plus add in fantasy football, big screen TVs, Sunday Ticket, etc and the incentive to watch in person is less and less each year. So the NFL has a problem to address and it'll be interesting to see what they do because it's not going away on its own and nothing short of a full on boycott will get them to lower prices. And gambling is not the answer. It's far down the list imo.
  • Dupin likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

6 teams in one state is excessive.

(I know it's four.)
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#5 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

Lower ticket prices and stop letting scalpers screw the fans.  It's not hard.

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Winning cures all. Were there empty sections in New England, Green Bay, Dallas?
  • Dupin likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

6 teams in one state is excessive.

(I know it's four.)

A state that is completely f-ed up, financially, too.

It's strange how owners get googly eyes for the warm places where people don't really care about pro football.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

NFL tickets cost way to much. Every game i go to, the price of a ticket is close to or north of $100, along with paying for parking ($45 in Baltimore) is ridiculous. 

In terms of the 49ers and Rams attendance problems, part of it is that they suck. The 49ers stadium is 40 miles from Downtown San Fransisco, and no one wants to pay exuberant prices to see a game at the stadium where the team is awful, parking and getting there is hell and ownership being insanely incompitent. The Rams is purely because of the size of the LA coliseum (which is why they moved to Anaheim in the 90's) and LA doesn't support teams that stink. 

https://ninernoise.c...stadium-niners/

http://thecomeback.c...ason-debut.html

http://www.sfgate.co...p#photo-9270666

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

SB Nation: The NFL is being devoured by its own economic model

The simpler and also boring systemic problem with the NFL that might actually explain something is its success, and how that success made the ownership class in the NFL fat, lazy, and locked into a business model they have no real reason or incentive to change, even with falling TV ratings.

The absence of real risk of failure is a start. Stakeholders in the NFL cannot lose—at least not under the league’s current structure. Owners split money from the league’s massive TV deals and other media revenue streams. That stream is so dependable, so huge, and so guaranteed that it’s done what large, intractable pools of cash have done since the invention of markets. It has altered and distorted the very thing that created it, and broken the basic exchange between consumer and seller that made the NFL successful in the first place.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

A state that is completely f-ed up, financially, too.

?

This is about California, right? The same state that would rank as the 6th largest economy in the world. Things aren't perfect by any means, but economics aren't the justification imo for why NFL teams shouldn't be in CA at the current rate.

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

I was going off of the debt, the people in SF who are living on the street making $80k a year... California is so overrated imo. In pretty much all aspects. But that's just me I guess.
  • Chris B likes this

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

I was going off of the debt, the people in SF who are living on the street making $80k a year... California is so overrated imo. In pretty much all aspects. But that's just me I guess.

That's an exaggeration, but sure, cost of living is high because there's lots of good jobs and the state has a ton going for it.

As you may know, I lived there for 12 years and I travel back pretty often. Anyways, I love CA. Cost of living certainly is awful though.

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

Yikes.

http://dailycaller.c...night-football/

I know the Niners are one of the worst teams in the NFL, but Levi Stadium is just over 3 years old and this was a primetime game. It shouldn't be 30% full.

This shouldn't be happening in any NFL city, but it is.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

It was so colossally stupid to build that  stadium down  there.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Lots of purple seats yesterday.

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

Lots of purple seats yesterday.

Not surprising. NFL as whole is getting worse as a product. Ravens fans may have mailed it in given the opponent. Yesterdays game didn't help matters. On top of losing to terrible team, the play was extremely sloppy on both sides. Baltimore is a fair weather town anyway. Tickets aren't cheap and they aren't giving you something worth watching. 

Officiating was pretty bad, as usual. I swear, if Rainey was called down by contact on that kickoff return TD because a guy touched his shoe with a finger tip two steps before he tripped over his own lineman....that might have been the last straw. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

Don't forget about the non call on the Camp fair catch hit and the Sefarian-Jenkins "fumble" yesterday may be the worst call I've ever seen after a replay. Horrendous.
  • Mark Carver and Mike in STL like this

#18 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Empty seats at home as well...

Through the first six weeks of the NFL season, total viewership of games is down 7.5 percent, compared with the first six weeks of 2016.

An average of 15 million people watched games for the first six weeks this year, compared with 16.2 million people through Week 6 last season, according to metrics from Nielsen.

http://www.espn.com/...7-compared-2016

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

Only going to get worse.

No Rodgers. No OBJ. Who else will go down this week? Someone is bound to get hurt.

Couple that with the political crap, and you've got a powder keg unlike anything the NFL has ever seen before.

I feel bad for the PSL holders, like myself, people who fell for the NFL money scheme when the game was at its peak, shelling out good money just to have the right to purchase season tickets. Yeah, it can appreciate in value, but right now, these things are absolutely worthless. So does someone who is fed up with the NFL and doesnt want to support it anymore just give up their season tickets and forfeit the PSL? Do I sell it for pennies on the dollar, and that's if I can even sell it at all. I guess that's another reason why the NFL wanted PSLs in the first place, to entrap fans like me, who don't want give away something they spent thousands of dollars for, and will keep spending money just to not lose the money they spent on PSLs in the first place.

A fucking racket, plain and simple.

#20 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

I guess that's another reason why the NFL wanted PSLs in the first place, to entrap fans like me, who don't want give away something they spent thousands of dollars for, and will keep spending money just to not lose the money they spent on PSLs in the first place.

A fucking racket, plain and simple.

It's pretty much a Timeshare. 

Well, it's definitely a timeshare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=