61 replies to this topic

#41 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

One thing is for sure, Roger Deakins should do the cinematography for every movie ever. Dude is a beast

• BobPhelan likes this
@DaKittenz

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

One thing is for sure, Roger Deakins should do the cinematography for every movie ever. Dude is a beast

Hell yeah.

#43 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:00 AM

The rumors are true, Thor: Ragnarok is the funniest Marvel movie.  If pressed I'd say my rankings of the MCU are below, but it's getting really tough to do.  I enjoy them collectively.

1. The Avengers

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Iron Man

4. Guardians of the Galaxy

5. Spider-Man: Homecoming

6. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

7. Thor: Ragnarok

8. Captain America: Civil War

9. The Avengers: Age of Ultron

10. Iron Man 3

11. Ant-Man

12. Doctor Strange

13. Iron Man 2

14. Thor

15. Captain America: The First Avenger

16. Thor: The Dark World

17. The Incredible Hulk

• BobPhelan likes this

#44 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

Thor: Ragnarok is great! Up there with the first Guardians for me. Nothing substantial but I like that it’s a standalone story and just a ton of fun. Great villain, humor, and Chris Hemsworth played off of everyone very well. It was also my sons first movie and he made it through the whole thing. He loves the Hulk, really cool to see him get into it.

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Checking out Suburbicon today. Feel like it's the Coen brothers last shot with me. Haven't seen them all, but haven't liked anything of theirs since Burn After Reading which was about 10 years ago. Clooney's directing and he's had a couple good ones. We'll see. Coen's are grand slams or strikeouts. Mostly strikeouts lately. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Checking out Suburbicon today. Feel like it's the Coen brothers last shot with me. Haven't seen them all, but haven't liked anything of theirs since Burn After Reading which was about 10 years ago. Clooney's directing and he's had a couple good ones. We'll see. Coen's are grand slams or strikeouts. Mostly strikeouts lately. 

It got poor reviews, so hope you enjoy it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

It got poor reviews, so hope you enjoy it.

Yeah. not getting my hopes up. Movies are $6 on Tuesdays in Towson. So the misses and I will try to grab some happy hour and movie on Tuesdays if there is something we want to see. It's the only thing out that remotely has my interest. 

Wouldn't pay the $13 Saturday night rate for it though. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Suburbicon wasn't good. 1.5 stars at best. Probably would have been better if they left it be a dark comedy rather than throwing in an unnecessary political/social storyline that had zero to do with the plot of the movie and was just, there for some reason. 

Hey Hollywood. I have a social issue you should promote. Stop raping and molesting. 

• NewMarketSean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

The Coen’s can’t really be blamed with Suburbicon. It’s a 20 year old script they never made that Clooney reworked and added the racial aspect of the story to. I’m surprised you didn’t like Inside Llewen Davis and/or True Grit though.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#50 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

The Coen’s can’t really be blamed with Suburbicon. It’s a 20 year old script they never made that Clooney reworked and added the racial aspect of the story to. I’m surprised you didn’t like Inside Llewen Davis and/or True Grit though.
Good info. But I kinda agree on the Coens. Very hit or miss. And even some of their "hits" were misses for me. However they potentially wrote and directed the best movies of the 90's and 00's so that's enough to get them voted into the HOF for me.
  • BobPhelan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

True Grit was ok. Original was far better, like most things though. Never saw Llewen Davis.

• BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#52 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

Good info. But I kinda agree on the Coens. Very hit or miss. And even some of their "hits" were misses for me. However they potentially wrote and directed the best movies of the 90's and 00's so that's enough to get them voted into the HOF for me.

For sure. They were gold for over a decade.

@BSLMikeRandall

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

I agree they are hit or miss. But I usually can respect the craft even when I’m not a big fan. And every once and a while they knock one out of the park. Not my favorite directors but I’ll always give their movies the time of day.

#54 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

True Grit was ok. Original was far better, like most things though. Never saw Llewen Davis.
You should check it out, one of my favorites of theirs. But I never saw the original True Grit so I can’t argue there.

#55 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

Trailer out for the The Post.  Don't know if I will get to this one while it's on the big screen, but I'll be checking it out at some point.

• BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#56 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Seems right up the academy’s alley. I’m sure it’ll be good but I doubt it’ll be as good as ‘Spotlight’.

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Trailer out for the The Post.  Don't know if I will get to this one while it's on the big screen, but I'll be checking it out at some point.

Bob Odenkirk. I'm in. 

• RShack likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#58 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

Can't help but feel the hypocrisy between the public's likely positive response to this movie's lionizing of journalist leakers with those same peoples condemnation of today's leakers Manning/Snowden/etc.

Also noteworthy that when Ellsburg leaked the media and white house branded him a traitor and a Kremlin operative...

That said, movie looks great.

• RShack likes this
@DaKittenz

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

Jesus, that's a hell of a cast.  And oh yeah, freaking Spielberg.

I really enjoyed Spotlight.  Wait...let me rephrase.  Spotlight was a great movie, and elicited a very strong emotional response while watching.  It was infuriating and disgusting.  The acting was phenomenal and they told the story well.

I don't know that this story will have the same impact, but it appears to be following a similar playbook.  I hope that all the amazing people in it still worked really hard and make something great, rather than it being like a Hollywood All-Star Game.

• BobPhelan likes this

#60 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

Apparently this is the first time Meryl Streep has ever been in a Spielberg film.  She did voice work for AI but this is the first time appearing on screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=