6462 replies to this topic

#141 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

Umm, guys there's a close O's game wrapping up now. Maybe you should be watching that. ;)

I did. I caught the end before leaving. Made me nervous with that eighth inning....

#142 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

I was out all day and missed the game. Thoughts?

#143 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,654 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Redskins sign Billy Cundiff. Good guy, glad to see him land quickly.
@mikeghg

#144 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Good for him!

#145 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I've always like Chris, but I definitely see the logic in this one. Davis is much better imo.

http://www.washingto... ... _blog.html

#146 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

It makes sense, but it still makes me incredibly sad.

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#147 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Always respected Cooley. He played the game well and the right way. Seems classy too. If we didn't have our 2 TE's already I'd say snag him.
@Langley486

#148 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

It makes sense, but it still makes me incredibly sad.

Yeah I'm with this too. I actually like Paul a bit more than Davis, but I think that's cause I'm still mad that Davis is so stupid.

I asked this question a while back though, cause I saw it being a problem, can't carry 4 TE, and with Paulsen, Paul and Davis, I completely see the thinking behind it.

I'm actually slightly more confused by the signing of Cundiff a day after Gano beats out Rackers.
@JeremyMStrain

#149 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

Good guy, perhaps, but doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade. A few more touchbacks, but I really don't get it. They're hoping he recaptures 2010, and that's a total crapshoot.

#150 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

I was thinking last year that his days may have been numbered, but sad to see, regardless.

#151 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

I was watching the Orioles game. Anyone check out this game?

#152 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

I was watching the Orioles game. Anyone check out this game?

Sorry, we were doing our fantasy draft, so I couldnt post.

They look good. The D had a lot of rushing pressure. Helu looked really good. Cousins looked really good. Banks had a couple good plays. Crawford made the team with a great pick.

Overall looked real good, but it was TB.
@JeremyMStrain

#153 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

I was thinking last year that his days may have been numbered, but sad to see, regardless.

Same here. Bummer, but I kinda expect him not to sign and if there is an injury to be a phone call away.
@JeremyMStrain

#154 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Good guy, perhaps, but doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade. A few more touchbacks, but I really don't get it. They're hoping he recaptures 2010, and that's a total crapshoot.

I was just thinking this. I don't know that I'd take him over Rackers OR Gano. At least Gano has the leg to hit over 50.
@JeremyMStrain

#155 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks. Apparently Briscoe caught his only target as well; too bad they didn't use him more last night. I'd like to see him make the team.

#156 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks. Apparently Briscoe caught his only target as well; too bad they didn't use him more last night. I'd like to see him make the team.

I think reading between the lines when the night started Briscoe had made it, Banks, Armstrong, Austin and Robinson had not. Then Banks had a good game overall. WR is still going to be the most interesting spot to watch. The 4 RB all should be safe, they could all be starters. TE we know which 3 are in. CB trading Barnes opened up a spot for Crawford, who looked good again last night. LB I think Kehl FINALLY made the play he needed to make the team. After dropping 2 int he finally got one and returned it 43 yards, but with 16 tackles in limited action and what should have been 3 picks, I'd definitely keep him.

It'll be an interesting 2 days, that's for sure.
@JeremyMStrain

#157 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

I was just thinking this. I don't know that I'd take him over Rackers OR Gano. At least Gano has the leg to hit over 50.

I had voiced that elsewhere as well. Gano had never had confidence instilled in him with the organization, and I wonder how good the coaching had been with him. I always had hopes he could do better than he had; the accuracy problems were always vexing. Hopefully some things were tried with him from an analytic standpoint to improve, rather than just kick more balls in practice and occasionally bring competition in to light a fire under his ass and hope something worked out. The strength and seven years of upside were a lot to give up if more could have been done with him. Could there be a reason, other than talent, that the team probably hasn't had a good kicker since Chip Lohmiller?

It really boggles me that they didn't bother with Rackers yet immediately brought Cundiff in. Sure, Rackers was the oldest of the bunch, but I think he's better than Cundiff. If someone else takes a chance on Gano and fixes his issues, the Redskins will be kicking themselves a la David Akers (I know, Gano had far longer than Akers did to prove anything).

#158 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

I had voiced that elsewhere as well. Gano had never had confidence instilled in him with the organization, and I wonder how good the coaching had been with him. I always had hopes he could do better than he had; the accuracy problems were always vexing. Hopefully some things were tried with him from an analytic standpoint to improve, rather than just kick more balls in practice and occasionally bring competition in to light a fire under his ass and hope something worked out. The strength and seven years of upside were a lot to give up if more could have been done with him. Could there be a reason, other than talent, that the team probably hasn't had a good kicker since Chip Lohmiller?

It really boggles me that they didn't bother with Rackers yet immediately brought Cundiff in. Sure, Rackers was the oldest of the bunch, but I think he's better than Cundiff. If someone else takes a chance on Gano and fixes his issues, the Redskins will be kicking themselves a la David Akers (I know, Gano had far longer than Akers did to prove anything).

I agree. If they were going to make the move to a high accuracy with a weaker leg kind of kicker, they should have stuck with Rackers. Gano had the leg to hit those 50+ yarders, and maybe it's just all the media and fan pressure here getting to him, since it's worse here than most other areas (for football), but Gano was young enough I thought it was worth riding it out. I don't know many kickers that were great their first couple years. Usually they bounce around to a couple teams, and then as they get older settle in and stick for a while. I didn't like Cundiff as a kicker with DAL or BAL really, he had one great year, but seems to choke when it matters. At least in my casual impression of him.
  • Don Quixote likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#159 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

Well cuts have officially begun. Eric Cook was one of the final round. Center who started two games last year. Was 3rd on the depth chart at C though.
@JeremyMStrain

#160 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

More cuts trickling in. The most surprising to me is Bryan Kehl, who I thought would have a backup ILB spot, they kept rookie Robinson instead, who I don't remember seeing anything of in the preseason. Head scratcher for me personally.

Tackle Willie Smith was also cut, so I guess they liked what they saw out of Polumbus? With Brown out again I figured depth at T would be a priority.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=